Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
So I have had a few great wines while I was Germany, but other than Merlot being dry as fuck. I don't know much about wine, is there a wine for dummies?

The ones I have drank and liked weren't dry, and were semi-sweet. The exception being the German "ICE" wine, omg that shit is like candy. But so sweet a small glass as a desert will do you. I get red's with beef/greasier meats and whites with stuff more like posta and chicken I guess... but what about just a good wine for drinking? Not to get drunk just to have a glass here and there. Again I don't like dry wines.

Bring on the suggestions / crash course please.. no crazy expensive suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll pair wine for certain things, but for the most part just stock up on cheap Argentinian or Chilean malbecs or Cab Sauv for every day sipping. They are mildly sweet, go well with just about any meal and are cheap enough to just enjoy no matter what you're doing. The stuff coming out of Montes have been my favorites so far.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll look for some of those next time I'm out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want something that will remind you of Germany, and also most likely not be very dry, try some Rieslings. I would also suggest Vino Verde's.

If you tell me how you like your coffee and your tea, in addition to where you live I can most likely give you a producer or two to search out in your local retailer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The trick in finding a dry red wine you will like is finding a fruit forward wine. A wine like a Malbec would be a good choice. A wine that has a good fruit nose will come off as being slightly sweet. Some of the Argentine malbecs can be a little vegetative so don't give up on them if you don't like the first one. There are other fruit forward red wines like like Zinfandel, Aka  Primotivo(sp?), that would be worth trying. Go to a good local wine shop and ask for a good fruit forward red and see what they offer. There are some really good ice wines coming out of Canada. Try the 2014 Jaxon Triggs Vidal for a real treat.

We are doing a world wide Malbec tasting at work today.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want something that will remind you of Germany, and also most likely not be very dry, try some Rieslings. I would also suggest Vino Verde's.

If you tell me how you like your coffee and your tea, in addition to where you live I can most likely give you a producer or two to search out in your local retailer.
View Quote
Black with sugar, sometimes creamer depends on the mood. If I add creame equal amount to the sugar, typically 3 teaspoons, tea..I'm from Georgia, take a guess, iced sweet tea. brewed strong with lots of sugar.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Search out a Pinot Noir or a red blend from 14 Hands winery.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Search out a Pinot Noir or a red blend from 14 Hands winery.
View Quote
Northwest Pinot Noirs are excellent. The volcanic soil and moderate climate make for excellent growing conditions. I prefer the Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top