Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 9:58:28 AM EDT
I know I only got into DE shaving about 3 weeks ago but I lucked into some near mint condition vintage razors and what now has become an addiction. I thought I would share. I finally found a Fat Boy to add to my collection. My current shaver is the 1930's New Open comb and what a great shave it gives

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one of the razors sold by Duluth Trading and have gone through less than 3 bottles of Shave Secret from Walmart in the last year and a half.
Still looking for a Fat Boy style Razor for cheap.
Perhaps I should check with my Uncles now that I think of it.
Have no Idea where Dad's old razor went nor my Maternal Gma's as I am sure she had an old one when she passed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got one of the razors sold by Duluth Trading and have gone through less than 3 bottles of Shave Secret from Walmart in the last year and a half.
Have no Idea where Dad's old razor went nor my Maternal Gma's as I am sure she had an old one when she passed.
View Quote

Check at your local antique stores. I bought every razor you see for 10 bucks each. Yes- the Fatboy was only 10 dollars too
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you shave with the Lady Gillette's? My father in law gave me one he was using from the 60's. He liked the longer handle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Check at your local antique stores. I bought every razor you see for 10 bucks each. Yes- the Fatboy was only 10 dollars too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool!
Was looking at our local antique mall and came across one. Didn't have a price on it but it looked in good shape. Tried to find a date code on it but either my eyes suck worse than I thought or there wasn't one. Do you have a link to a good site to decipher the codes on the underside?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very cool!
Was looking at our local antique mall and came across one. Didn't have a price on it but it looked in good shape. Tried to find a date code on it but either my eyes suck worse than I thought or there wasn't one. Do you have a link to a good site to decipher the codes on the underside?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool!

http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you shave with the Lady Gillette's? My father in law gave me one he was using from the 60's. He liked the longer handle.
View Quote

No- I shave with the 1930's New Open comb. I bought the ladies Starbursts because they were near mint condition and the pink one is rare and harder to come by. I've heard they are great shavers though and I plan on giving them a try soon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My FIL took mine for the same reason.  It's the same head as the superspeed and he's got huge mitts.

The blue starred Ladys I've seen at auction have done really well, close to Fatboy prices.  The grip is great on the handle too.

ETA- don't be surprised if the Lady bites you if you're used to the standard handle lengths.  Both the longer and the little short travel handles will have you borking your angles all up.  Stick with the New, it's the best common razor Gillette ever made.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My FIL took mine for the same reason.  It's the same head as the superspeed and he's got huge mitts.

The blue starred Ladys I've seen at auction have done really well, close to Fatboy prices.  The grip is great on the handle too.

ETA- don't be surprised if the Lady bites you if you're used to the standard handle lengths.  Both the longer and the little short travel handles will have you borking your angles all up.  Stick with the New, it's the best common razor Gillette ever made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip !!!! I love the new so much I won't be changing anytime soon I can grow a beard in 10 minutes but, when I shave with the new I don't have to shave again for 3 days and I still don't have as much stubble as the day after with a cartridge razor. The shave is incredible and cost me 20 cents
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I got 7 of those razors for 50 cents a piece at a yard sale...I tried the soap/mug. but went with warmed Barasol..as long as you do the whole ritual; wash, rinse, soak with a warm towel and use plenty of warm shave cream you get a great shave with one swipe (mostly) straight down. Take a few short-cuts, try to do a "quick" shave and you'll scrape your face....ouch
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You said about 3 weeks ago, OP? That's already a respectable collection. You have caught a new disease.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got one for $2.50 at an antique store. Well used but still in its plastic case. The old guy running the place said, "Can you believe people actually use those?"

Me: "Uh, no, really?"
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started shaving ~30 years ago with a Lady Gillette and it still sees regular use on my head. Beard shaving is done with a Muhle R41, but the long handle on the Lady Gillette just works so much better on the back of the noggin.

I also have a '68 Super Speed, and the head doesn't seem as aggressive as the Lady Gillette, so it doesn't get used at all. I have a couple teenage sons, so maybe one of them will want it so I can stop buying those stupid $$$ disposables.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
My daily driver for the last 7-8 years was a '55 super speed. Last week I picked up a '62 Adjustable Slim and that is one smooth shaver. My '55 was getting brassy so I put it up until I can get it refinished. I have a gold Aristocrat with the open comb, and several old, old ball end Tech Gillettes, one Gold travel kit razor that has never been used with un opened pack of blades. My SIL gave me he grandfather's old GEM single blade which is terrifying for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a fatboy I picked up at a garage sale for $1 and a Lady that was my mothers.
I have two with the combs but have never used them. What was the purpose of the comb?

Estate and garage sales are the best place to pick up vintage razors for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The comb on the older style razors functions the same as the straight safety bar on the later Gillettes, it's the spacer that keeps you from taking your skin right off.

I find the open comb razors tend to deal better with longer hair.  Straight bar razors don't like to go through a week's worth of beard quite as easily.  The open combs don't even seem to notice.

The difference in safety is, I think, all in the mind.  The straight bars definitely LOOK gentler and not as scary but the shave from an open comb is just as comfortable and may be even just a touch closer.  Once I got used to my "New" I pretty much have no use for another razor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top