Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 1:05:59 PM EDT
I just don't know anything about them. Other than they seem popular.

COSTCO has a Citizen ECO DRIVE, that's caught my attention.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one.
Never needs a battery.
The dials are nice, but really serve no purpose, as if you use it for diving, all of your gauges are on you already.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Citizen ecodrive for 15+ years.

Never had a problem.

eta: and like it's been mentioned....I've never needed a battery. 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Solar/battery powered.

Great watches.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They're solar powered with lithium internal battery. Battery might eventually need replacement, but I've had a G-Shock "Tough Solar" still going strong after 15 years.

Replacements are apparently not expensive, when they're eventually needed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
My Eco-Drive stays within a sec of the atomic clock. It recharges with any light source, although some are obviously better than others. It's very well built and doesn't give me a bit of trouble. Mine is a dive version and I use the rotating bezel and adjustable extension all the time, but not for diving.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#6]
They're solar powered/charged quartz.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Seiko has a solar powered line too.  "Eco-Drive" is just Citizen's trade name for that tech in their watches.  IIRC it's a capacitor that is charged though, not a battery, but it's a pretty academic distinction.  

Citizen claims testing has shown a life span on the system that should easily outlast the owner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Great watches for the money, I have 1 radio controlled and 2 standard Eco-Drives. Simply can't beat them for utility, set & forget, and price.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Eco drive perpetual calendars, set and forget until (the year) 2100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top