Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 10:44:41 PM EDT
So...  the band on my G-Shock finally broke today...

The watch itself is still fine and I know I could just replace the band, but I have been wearing G-Shocks for the last 20 yrs and I think it is time for a change.

What I love about my G-shocks is how rugged they are.  I literally never take mine off unless it is for a wedding or a funeral, which thankfully is not very often for either.  I shower with it on, I wear it to work, hunt with it, clean deer with it on, shoot with in on, paint with it on, etc..   like I said, it pretty much stays on 24/7 and 365..  

But, you have to admit, they are just dang ugly and with their bulk, they often dont fit very well under my dress shirts...

I love the simple look of a nice "field watch"  I am just concerned that they will hold up to how I wear my watches...  

Features that I desire:    Classic analog look.   I like the look of actual numbers vs simple hashmarks for the hours.   Prefer 1-12 but at the very least 12,3,6, and 9.   Day not so important, but would really like to have date function.  Never had a tritium watch.   It would be nice when I am hog hunting at night (which I do a LOT of) to see the time with a quick glance vs having to press a button.  HATE metal bracelets.  Leather is nice, but don't want to have to take it off in the shower, so fabric or rubber type band.. ..

Putting all those parameters together, I have narrowed it down to the following:

The MWC G10 SL MK VI seen here....https://mwcwatches.com/collections/infantry-watches-g10-300m/products/g10sl-mkvi-300m-water-resistant-military-watch-with-gtls-tritium-light-sources-and-sapphire-crystal

and the Marathon General purpose quartz seen here....https://www.marathonwatch.com/product/stainless-steel-general-purpose-quartz-date-tritium-gpq/

both have sapphire crystals so should be durable.  Both water resistant to further than I would ever be going.  Both about equal in price.  

I am leaning toward the Marathon.  I like the look of it's face better.  Only thing I am hesitant on it that it has a 16mm band vs the 20mm of the MWC.   Also, the MWC comes with 2 straps vs 1 with the Marathon, although I suspect that is not that big of a deal....

Any one with experience with these 2 watches that could help me decide one way or another?   Or point me to something I may have missed?  

Price wise, 300-400 is about all I am willing to spend.  Less, obviously would be even better..

Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So...  the band on my G-Shock finally broke today...

The watch itself is still fine and I know I could just replace the band, but I have been wearing G-Shocks for the last 20 yrs and I think it is time for a change.

What I love about my G-shocks is how rugged they are.  I literally never take mine off unless it is for a wedding or a funeral, which thankfully is not very often for either.  I shower with it on, I wear it to work, hunt with it, clean deer with it on, shoot with in on, paint with it on, etc..   like I said, it pretty much stays on 24/7 and 365..  

But, you have to admit, they are just dang ugly and with their bulk, they often dont fit very well under my dress shirts...

I love the simple look of a nice "field watch"  I am just concerned that they will hold up to how I wear my watches...  

Features that I desire:    Classic analog look.   I like the look of actual numbers vs simple hashmarks for the hours.   Prefer 1-12 but at the very least 12,3,6, and 9.   Day not so important, but would really like to have date function.  Never had a tritium watch.   It would be nice when I am hog hunting at night (which I do a LOT of) to see the time with a quick glance vs having to press a button.  HATE metal bracelets.  Leather is nice, but don't want to have to take it off in the shower, so fabric or rubber type band.. ..

Putting all those parameters together, I have narrowed it down to the following:

The MWC G10 SL MK VI seen here....https://mwcwatches.com/collections/infantry-watches-g10-300m/products/g10sl-mkvi-300m-water-resistant-military-watch-with-gtls-tritium-light-sources-and-sapphire-crystal

and the Marathon General purpose quartz seen here....https://www.marathonwatch.com/product/stainless-steel-general-purpose-quartz-date-tritium-gpq/

both have sapphire crystals so should be durable.  Both water resistant to further than I would ever be going.  Both about equal in price.  

I am leaning toward the Marathon.  I like the look of it's face better.  Only thing I am hesitant on it that it has a 16mm band vs the 20mm of the MWC.   Also, the MWC comes with 2 straps vs 1 with the Marathon, although I suspect that is not that big of a deal....

Any one with experience with these 2 watches that could help me decide one way or another?   Or point me to something I may have missed?  

Price wise, 300-400 is about all I am willing to spend.  Less, obviously would be even better..

Thanks in advance!!
View Quote

Do not get the MWC. Cheap watches, made in Zurich with bullshit chinese parts. Fraudulent claims about being military watches. Fuck those people.

Marathons are nice, don't expect great customer service. They do however use Rhonda quartz movements in the one you described and the watches themselves are easy to work on, and any watch monkey can replace a movement if necessary.

Get the Marathon, and buy extra straps, bands, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do not get the MWC. Cheap watches, made in Zurich with bullshit chinese parts. Fraudulent claims about being military watches. Fuck those people.

Marathons are nice, don't expect great customer service. They do however use Rhonda quartz movements in the one you described and the watches themselves are easy to work on, and any watch monkey can replace a movement if necessary.

Get the Marathon, and buy extra straps, bands, etc.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice, good info to know.  I was leaning toward the Marathon anyway  :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top