Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 2:12:37 PM EDT
In the last 15 years I've gone thru 5 watches, 2 luminox, G-shock mudman and some cheapos. Never liked the mudman as it was to hard to operate the buttons. The luminox watches really work for me as I work night shifts, they just don't handle abuse for long. Cab driving, home stuff, shooting...etc.

Over the Christmas holidays I did some shopping at JCpenny's and the receipt's I received had a cash value that had to be used before the first. So I went and bought two timex pieces for a whopping 30 bucks. A Chronograph and Solar. Sent the Chrono to one of my sons and kept the solar, problem with solar is once the sun goes down can't read the display until light is depressed.

I've wanted a Marathon watch for the longest time, the 36mm seems like the perfect fit. Automatic with tritium and I think it's a looker as well.

$500 to $700 is pricey but I think it's time to treat myself.

Would like to hear from anyone that's had one for awhile, do they hold up well?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My GSAR has held up very well.  It has a JAN 2007 manufacture date, and I've worn it everyday since mid 07.

It runs slow, but never having had the movement serviced in almost ten years I can't complain.
My other beef is the stem has pretty sharp knurling.  OK, except it stands proud of the lugs and digs into the back of my hand.  I literally had a bloody raw mark for a couple of months until it calloused over.

Change occasionally between steel bracelet and rubber strap.  Both have held up well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
My GSAR has the steel band and was manufactured November 2009. It's a heavy watch, but I love it! I've worn it since receiving it as a gift in 2015. It runs fast (gains about 2 minutes a week). I don't believe it has ever been serviced.
Nothing about the stem or shape bothers me. I had to remove a link from the band. I prefer my watches snug so they don't move around.
I've gotten several compliments on it. It has numerous small scratches but still looks really good. I have to squeeze the clasp every few months to keep it tight. It came loose on me a couple times before I started doing that. I took it diving with me in The Bahamas.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought in 2007.

Wore it everyday for 7 years.

They are tall on the wrist, so if you wear dress shirts know that cuffs snag.

I've beaten the shit out of it, still keeps on ticking.

It spends a life of comfort in the pelican case now for the most part unless I am going to be at the beach.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a GSAR and I've worn it everyday since Jan2012. I love it except the crown Stem broke so now I have to send it to Marathon for repair. I just found out it's 40-50 to ship it to Canada. Is there anyone in the US that could fix it that I could put insurance on it too? I'm not familiar with the Duty stuff if I claim it worth 800 and it goes missing?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a GSAR and I've worn it everyday since Jan2012. I love it except the crown Stem broke so now I have to send it to Marathon for repair. I just found out it's 40-50 to ship it to Canada. Is there anyone in the US that could fix it that I could put insurance on it too? I'm not familiar with the Duty stuff if I claim it worth 800 and it goes missing?
View Quote

MWWC, Midwest Watch & Clock used to service Marathons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been waiting for years for Marathon to put the full size second hand with lume in their pilot watch. I've been using a LumTec for years, and i'm not sure what's going on with the movement, but it's showing its age. This will be my stop gap before I buy a Sinn or other black case pilot watch.

ETA: Looked closer. The second hand is painted white and not on the main movement. Turd.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MWWC, Midwest Watch & Clock used to service Marathons.
View Quote

I've worn my Marathon JSAR daily for 5+ years and love it. It had one minor issue recently that Jim at Midwest fixed up for me. He is definitely a good go-to source if you run into trouble with your Marathon. Prompt and excellent service with very good communication.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear mine when I don't have my dress clothes on.  

It's very solid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top