Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2016 11:07:08 PM EDT
Gents,

I've narrowed it down to a Series 2 Apple Watch, Fitbit Blaze or Tom Tom Spark 3.

I'm Active Military so I run and ruck quite a bit and figure I need a replacement for my ancient Timex Ironman. I also run on my own, hike and hunt.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't found a single watch to handle every activity, but it seems like those that want a single solution go with Suunto or Garmin.  For training I use a TomTom Cardio.  I was a Garmin acolyte for a long time but the TomTom has been the right thing for me.  Anything that feeds Strava will probably work well enough for triathlon/running types; not so sure about gym rats.  The thick rubber/plastic band isn't comfortable enough for all-day wear and I don't want to look like a techno-geek in a work environment.  For my duty watch, I like to have a rotating bezel and I don't want to have to charge it, so I have a few dive-configuration quartz watches.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the models you specified, but please be aware that all of the fitness tracker/gps watches I've seen drain the battery in just a few days and require recharging.  Might want to keep the ironman around for trips longer than that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife runs a lot and I got her the Spark and she loves it.

When she gets home after a run the watch syncs via Bluetooth to the app on her phone and it shows the route, time, distance etc.

With the GPS on the charge lasts 5 hours.
With out the GPS it lasts much longer but I'm not certain exactly how long
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Only read the OP...

Garmin Fenix 3 HR...  I absolutely love it...  and FWIW it can display MGRS!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Garmin Fenix/Suunto Ambit line and similar will do everything you need (some also have real time HR, if you want that). They pack an incredible amount of functionality into a watch.

Fenix 3 is is cosmetically well designed, color screen, many functions, dresses up or down well, and has decent GPS accuracy. When it is working properly, it will use about 1% per 10 minutes with GPS tracking at normal sample rates on, and will last 45-50 days if used only as a watch with all the other stuff turned off.... again if it is working properly. Mine will regularly, and without warning, go into "battery drain mode" and burn 1-2% per hour with everything turned off, or drop 50% a day using the smartwatch functions (no gps). After a "hard reset" normal operation will usually come back, sometimes it won't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top