Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2016 9:20:02 PM EDT
I want a "nice" watch...at least something nicer than the Citizen that I wear now.  I can't bring myself to pay Rolex prices, so I'm starting small with a Steinhart or Squale.  Both companies have offerings that I like, so which one do you prefer and why?  Or should I be looking at something else?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the Steinhart, but it was 100% because I couldn't find a Squale in stock anywhere. Between the two it seems like a total toss up to me. I'm very happy with my Steinhart.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the Steinhart, but it was 100% because I couldn't find a Squale in stock anywhere. Between the two it seems like a total toss up to me. I'm very happy with my Steinhart.
View Quote

What Steinhart did you end up with?
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got two Squales; have been happy with them.

Gnomon Watches is the place to get them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you just want a Sub homage then I would agree they are both pretty similar. If you want something different but still from one of those brands then Steinhart will have a lot wider line to choose from. Squale has five different "collections" and they have some differences no doubt but from 10 feet away they're all basically your standard diver style watch.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I get those damn Gnomon emails every day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Squale.

Lug tip to lug tip distance on the Steinharts is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha same here!  They're always tempting me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Love my Squale. Alpina is another brand that's caught my attention lately, although they're a little pricier.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, you really should join over at Watch U Seek. Next week is a big week for black friday and Christmas watch deals. Keep an eye on the affordable watches sub forum.  There is a never ending deals thread. That thread has helped me find deals and learn a lot about all the brands and options that are out there. But be forewarned, that very thread can empty you're pockets fast. But at least you will be a watch collector with no money.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Never owned a Squale, but I love my Steinhart Ocean 2. Although I cannot seem to get the Helson off my wrist, it has grown attached.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Squale is what I have and prefer after having both.

40mm is better for my wrist.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Steinhart. I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I gots the stein ocean black ceramic
--I don't like metal bands so I got their rubber band (real nice)
total shipped was either 550 or 650
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I think Steinhart has a better value.  My ocean one green is my most accurate auto watch I own.  Run +1 a day.  The case shape is kind flat though. I prefer my friends squale GMTs case though.  

I don't think I'd pay the extra for a squale.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Squale is what I have and prefer after having both.

40mm is better for my wrist.

http://i.imgur.com/UstPZ8r.jpg
View Quote

Bought an omega today so this will be going on the EE tomorrow.

Will make a great deal to anyone still looking at squales.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've owned a Squale 50 Atmos for about a year now and love it. Gorgeous watch. Excellent finish quality. Unique case design.

I just bought a Steinhart O1V Red... the quality is surprisingly good. I have no idea how they offer a high grade Eta movement and sapphire crystal for such a reasonable price point. It's truly remarkable.

Both are fantastic watches.

Get both, but start with the Steinhart.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think Steinhart has a better value.  My ocean one green is my most accurate auto watch I own.  Run +1 a day.  The case shape is kind flat though. I prefer my friends squale GMTs case though.  

I don't think I'd pay the extra for a squale.
View Quote

I forgot to address accuracy in my previous post...

My Steinhart is ridiculously accurate, and slightly more so than my Squale which was very shocking.

I'm at about +2-3 sec/day with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top