Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2016 3:27:38 PM EDT
I've always enjoyed my Tag Aquaracer and saw a Carrera for auction recently. Well, I won the auction, but after looking at the pictures and comparing it to other pictures of the same model, I think there is a problem with one of the chronograph dials. There was no defects described in the auction.

Here is a picture of the watch I bid on, notice something pointing at the 4 o'clock position on the bottom dial. No other picture of this model has that. Picture of the same model below for reference.

Is there something wrong with this watch, that I should not pay for it?

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what that is.  I have a Tag Heuer Aquaracer chrono and an Omega Speedmaster Professional and neither has that "tab".

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it just the lighting or is there something different with the hour markers too?  Your example pic shows them vividly but can't even see them on the one for sale
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
What year is this? I'm not finding any similar models in image search - all either have a black bezel or a completely difference dial.

Immediately reaction says 'fake.'
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That looks as if the twelve o'clock hour marker is detached and happens to be resting on the bottom dial axis.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Model CV2016-2

I just saw that it had been auctioned before and was apparently relisted. I think I'm going to pass.

More pics:

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
looks fake, judging by the face and hands.

I can't tell if the logo is a badge, but if its painted on there it is fake.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks as if the twelve o'clock hour marker is detached and happens to be resting on the bottom dial axis.
View Quote

Nice catch.  Looks like that to me as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys have incredible eyesight.  After I put my nose up against the screen you can indeed see two tiny holes at 12 o'clock that correspond with the two pins on the artifact in the bottom dial.  Where it fell makes it look like it's attached to the bottom dial.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
That my friend is a Chinese fake. Some of them are getting SCARY good, especially on Tag Heuer, Breitling, Tissot, Hamilton and other makes that use the ETA 2824, 2836 or 7750. The Chinese fake all of these movements too and they're getting damn good at it. There's nothing that the parent company that owns ETA now (The Swatch Group) can do about the fake movements because the patents expired years ago. They try to shut down the fake watch vendors once in a while but they just pop right back up with a different web address. Ebay is flooded with fakes at the moment and has been for a few years now. Proceed with extreme caution. They're even faking the boxes and paperwork these days so that doesn't mean much either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the same watch. Just wait until the chronograph button stops working altogether. After talking to a local shop, it seems to be common for these. Its a $700 fix. I will never buy another TAG. Their CS is shit too.
$3,500 for a watch that broke 2 weeks past its warranty.

Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:I will never buy another TAG. Their CS is shit too.
View Quote

That's a very common theme among (former) Tag owners.
For that kind of money buy an Omega.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a fake 1887 on ebay back in the summer..   it was scarry good.. from the face..  buy had some tale tale blue headed screws in the back and the band was missing some manufacturing marks  I got my money back..  thank god..   if it is fake you can report them to ebay..  and I think ebay holds the funds..  (not sure )

A month or so latter I got a Carrera 1887 with still valid warranty card..   but I made sure the serial number checked out on trusted.com. if it dose not check out that dose not necessarily mean that it's fake it just may be going through a gray Market dealer like Amazon or jomashop..     from the pics you have posted up.  I would not feel Confident buying that watch..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top