User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Baby sham will dry you out if you don't wash it off as soon as you peel off your wetsuit.  Hair conditioner won't do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

I used well-diluted baby shampoo to lube me up to get into my wetsuit, so I'll just use the same if necessary to get into my gloves.
Baby sham will dry you out if you don't wash it off as soon as you peel off your wetsuit.  Hair conditioner won't do that.
Conditioner seems like it would make a hell of a mess.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Lake Michigan dives this weekend. Hope we don't get blown out. :(.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interning the OW class this weekend at Aurora, as well as knocking out PPB and Altitude. Next week, back to Blue Hole for Deep, Night and Multilevel.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Conditioner seems like it would make a hell of a mess.
View Quote
But the trade off is no more split ends and hair with bounce so there's that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
No boat dives for me this weekend. We've gotten blown out. Are winds of 15 knots bad? Waves forecast for 2 ft. I'm so bummed.   will be doing deep cert in the nasty, dark hole at the quarry instead of a nice shipwreck. We're looking at doing a charter the first weekend in July. Have to one before Lake Huron trip in 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Nabbed this sucker at about 27ft. Visibility was horrible. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice thread.....I just stumbled on it.

My family, and I started diving a few years ago and have been doing family vacations around the sport.

We have been in Cayman all week.  

Yesterday we dove the wreck of the Kittewake
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Nabbed this sucker at about 27ft. Visibility was horrible. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180161/20170617-115202-233366.JPG
View Quote
Now I know what to put on my tanks to identify them!

Deep class at the quarry today. Just got there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Deep class today was better than I expected. The black sulphur layer that's been there before at 60ft in deep hole wasn't there at all. The sun was out so we had more light than we would have otherwise. We got down to 74ft on first dive and 80ft on second dive (platform). It was 46 degrees down at 80ft and I was fine in my new Bare 5mm. Had 5mm hood and gloves on, too.

I was a bit light on the first dive, so we added 2 lbs total to my trim pockets for second dive. The weight from my 30cft pony also really helped.

First dive was a bit of a cluster. My snorkel came out of the holder on the long surface swim out to deep hole. Took me and gal instructor 5-10 minutes floating at the surface, stripping our gloves off and handing them off, to get it fixed. The defog must have been washed off my mask as it fogged up almost immediately. I didn't think to break seal at the top to get a bit of water in to slosh around.

Second dive was much better. Buoyancy and trim much better. We did a dive along one wall of the quarry. Was really neat to see it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't remember the last time I wore a snorkel.
View Quote
Have to have it for training. I was at the shop yesterday getting tanks filled and I meant to get a folding snorkel, but forgot. A folding snorkel in a pocket would be acceptable to my instructors (they suggested it). I'm definitely going to get one before night next month. Wreck is late August.

I hate the danged thing. The only time I use it is when I'm snorkeling laps in the pool.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Forgot to add, it was my first time diving nitrox. I definitely didn't feel as tired as usual after diving.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
Nice thread.....I just stumbled on it.

My family, and I started diving a few years ago and have been doing family vacations around the sport.

We have been in Cayman all week.  

Yesterday we dove the wreck of the Kittewake
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161250/GOPR2484-233368.jpg
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:04:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Birddog1911] [#14]
Glad you had a good day training,  Marie. Our OW and AOW students all finished today, with no issues. 

I ended the day with a Search and Recovery scenario, that was a bit of a goat rope. Vis was already down to 5ft, and once the instructor put the bucket on the bottom, it dropped to 2 inches in many places. But, found both targets, and got that knocked out. Hot today, and most of us have mask sunburns.

Doc, looks like a beautiful dive!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm did i lose my subscribe button when I let my membership lapse. Oh well tag to read the rest later.

I just got my ow cert in Oct of 2016 . Seems like my class was alot shorter was all done in two weekends.all the materials were done online then the first sat we did review and test in the morn and pool 1 in the afternoon and pool 2 Sunday morn. Then the next weekend was two dives Saturday and two Sunday at devils lake, wi. Vis the first day was crap it was windy and there was white caps on the water. There was alot of holding the bouy line.  The second day was much better. There was a problem with my tank oring so they gave me one of the instructors tanks which was steel so I was heavy and my trim was off. But I worked through it. There was alot of instructor's. Instructor to student ratio was 1-2.  It was SSI so I'm sure it was alittle different . Just started my drysuit course two weeks ago I just need to squeeze in two week nights for the ow drysuit dives. I use bp/w as well I hated how the jackets kept sliding up . I have pretty much all of my own gear now. Hoping to get in some great lakes wrecks in this summer. Then in Oct we are set up for a weekend at bonne Terre mine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#16]
Originally Posted By sh0ck1999:
Hmm did i lose my subscribe button when I let my membership lapse. Oh well tag to read the rest later.

I just got my ow cert in Oct of 2016 . Seems like my class was alot shorter was all done in two weekends.all the materials were done online then the first sat we did review and test in the morn and pool 1 in the afternoon and pool 2 Sunday morn. Then the next weekend was two dives Saturday and two Sunday at devils lake, wi. Vis the first day was crap it was windy and there was white caps on the water. There was alot of holding the bouy line.  The second day was much better. There was a problem with my tank oring so they gave me one of the instructors tanks which was steel so I was heavy and my trim was off. But I worked through it. There was alot of instructor's. Instructor to student ratio was 1-2.  It was SSI so I'm sure it was alittle different . Just started my drysuit course two weeks ago I just need to squeeze in two week nights for the ow drysuit dives. I use bp/w as well I hated how the jackets kept sliding up . I have pretty much all of my own gear now. Hoping to get in some great lakes wrecks in this summer. Then in Oct we are set up for a weekend at bonne Terre mine.
View Quote
Glad to see another cold water/Great Lakes diver here!

Drysuit dives on 2 weeknights?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Can't remember how many dives is required I booked the class short notice when I had the weekend that they do pool open up. Thier normal open water weekend was this past one and I was stuck in glenbrook installing a cart washer. But every week they do Tuesday evening dives on the local lakes I just need to give them a heads up which one I can make it to so they have a drysuit instructor there to do my checkout dives. I'm kinda jealous that DRIS  is your local dive shop I'd like to go there sometime but I never get down that far. work normally lands me closer to Chicago.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't remember how many dives is required I booked the class short notice when I had the weekend that they do pool open up. Thier normal open water weekend was this past one and I was stuck in glenbrook installing a cart washer. But every week they do Tuesday evening dives on the local lakes I just need to give them a heads up which one I can make it to so they have a drysuit instructor there to do my checkout dives. I'm kinda jealous that DRIS  is your local dive shop I'd like to go there sometime but I never get down that far. work normally lands me closer to Chicago.
View All Quotes

DRIS is only about an hour south of Chicago. Plainfield is right next to Joliet.

You're not the only one jealous that DRIS is my local shop. ;-) My two instructors are excellent t. They're spent a ton of extra time with me which I don't expect is normal.

SDI drysuit requires 2 dives, but I only needed one since I did OW in a drysuit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Have to have it for training. I was at the shop yesterday getting tanks filled and I meant to get a folding snorkel, but forgot. A folding snorkel in a pocket would be acceptable to my instructors (they suggested it). I'm definitely going to get one before night next month. Wreck is late August.

I hate the danged thing. The only time I use it is when I'm snorkeling laps in the pool.
View Quote
The only time I bring a snorkel is when it's rough out and I know I'm going to be on the surface for a while either swimming back to the beach or waiting on the surface. Even then I still don't bring it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn you Marie!   Thanks for the tip about the Facebook Scuba swap.  I now own this:

Filled with a blend I'm not even trained to use...yet!  LP 108s.

I'm now a few bucks poorer...but twins!  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Octopus5alive:
Damn you Marie!   Thanks for the tip about the Facebook Scuba swap.  I now own this:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/octopus5alive/19197783_10213631576814782_2009188679_o_zpsnsv6sar6.jpg

View Quote
Heh heh. How heavy are those? My knees ache looking at them!

I'm going to try sidemount at TDI Mission Tech day next month. The event is at my home quarry. I'll try a scooter, too!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#22]

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e339/octopus5alive/19197783_10213631576814782_2009188679_o_zpsnsv6sar6.jpg

View Quote
Nice i just picked up a pair of LP95s. A friend was selling them so I figured what the hell since I know they were just hydro'd and valves rebuilt in aug. Not sure how well they will trim out since they are short and fat and I'm 6'4". But normally when I see them on Craigslist they sell right away so I should be safe if it doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Will be diving Lake Michigan July 1. Crossed fingers for good weather and low winds, please!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]
No boat dives for me this weekend. We've gotten blown out. Are winds of 15 knots bad? Waves forecast for 2 ft. I'm so bummed.   will be doing deep cert in the nasty, dark hole at the quarry instead of a nice shipwreck. We're looking at doing a charter the first weekend in July. Have to one before Lake Huron trip in 6 weeks.
View Quote
Sorry about the cancelled trip....I know how that feels.
These conditions must be unique to the area....this is nothing here.  This must be a very short wave period, poor visibility, current, issue.  Never been up there so have no idea.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Heh heh. How heavy are those? My knees ache looking at them!

I'm going to try sidemount at TDI Mission Tech day next month. The event is at my home quarry. I'll try a scooter, too!
View Quote
If my calculations are correct there is about 86 lbs in that picture.  But its -16 full and -2 empty.  So it should allow me to ditch all my lead.  Now to decide if I want to go SS backplate or AL....or split them and sidemount them.  Good to have options.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Who else went diving this weekend? Went to the quarry up in South Beloit. Viz was crappy. I really hate the steep incline you have to deal with getting in and out of the water. Next Saturday is our second try at Lake Michigan. Forecast shows t'storms for Saturday morning at this point. I want good weather, please!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Who else went diving this weekend? Went to the quarry up in South Beloit. Viz was crappy. I really hate the steep incline you have to deal with getting in and out of the water. Next Saturday is our second try at Lake Michigan. Forecast shows t'storms for Saturday morning at this point. I want good weather, please!
View Quote
If your weather idiots are like our weather idiots,  then any real life event resembling a forecast will be pure coincidence.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
If your weather idiots are like our weather idiots,  then any real life event resembling a forecast will be pure coincidence.
View Quote
If I was only correct 20% of the time, I'd have been fired years ago.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Tom Skilling of WGN TV is a weather god, not a weather idiot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Sweet find. Now all you need to do is remove the manifold, separate them and switch to sidemount.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Boat dives on for tomorrow! Yay!

Any last minute tips? I've packed small, we're going deeper so I'm diving nitrox (DRIS rents nitrox filled tanks for the same cost as air filled - $8/each - cheap!). Pony coming along for the dive. I'm diving wet in my 5mm. Fun dives so my camera is going with me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Any last minute tips? I've packed small, we're going deeper so I'm diving nitrox (DRIS rents nitrox filled tanks for the same cost as air filled - $8/each - cheap!). Pony coming along for the dive. I'm diving wet in my 5mm. Fun dives so my camera is going with me.
View Quote
That's insane for air.  And not great for nitrox
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

That's very cheap around here. Many of the places that rent nitrox tanks want $15/tank! I have a $75/year unlimited air fill thing from DRIS for up to 3 tanks. For nitrox, I just pay the difference. My personal tanks were already filled with air, though, and DRIS banks 32%. Just easier to rent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#35]
5mil?  I would want at least 7 in the great lakes.
View Quote
I have spent plenty of time in on the deep side of the quarry in the past month in my new 5mm, down to 80ft. It's on average 46 degrees on the deep side and I'm toasty. Bare Evoke is fab. I also have a high cold tolerance. I'll probably be diving wet in northern Lake Huron in a few weeks, but I'll be taking my dry suit for the trip anyway. I have plenty of "bioprene."
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Lake Michigan was wonderful today! 56 degrees at 40ft and I was just fine in my 5mm. Pics and video to come.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I cringe at the thought of paying by the tank on any day... except the day I pick my cylinders up from visual or hydro.

I wish the shops closer to me would adopt the "pay by the cubic foot" sale system the shops in cave country use... sorry but I'm not paying $20-24 to fill a set of doubles with 32%. lol
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Today we dove the David Dows, the only 5 masted schooner built on the Great Lakes. Sunk in 1889. We also dove the Material Service Barge, sunk in 1936, taking 15-22 people down with it.

This is me on the David Dows.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
I cringe at the thought of paying by the tank on any day... except the day I pick my cylinders up from visual or hydro.

I wish the shops closer to me would adopt the "pay by the cubic foot" sale system the shops in cave country use... sorry but I'm not paying $20-24 to fill a set of doubles with 32%. lol
View Quote
Being a part time instructor for a store has it's benefits. I haven't paid for breathing gas in years
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I did a thread in GD with pics and video from my Lake Michigan trip  yesterday.

Link
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Being a part time instructor for a store has it's benefits. I haven't paid for breathing gas in years
View Quote
Times like these make me wish I was a first responder or "local" law enforcement officer near Amigo's in Fort White... you take your gas and go, no payment necessary.

Not that I wouldn't pay for most of it anyways, but occasionally it would be nice to spend an afternoon practicing skills and not pay $40 for it. lol
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Uh oh!

I took my BP/W apart today to dump the water out of the wing and realized the pull cord on my butt dump was totally gone. Probably got broken off on the boat at one point. Have to run down to the shop tomorrow night anyway, so I should be able to get the replacement part. Should be pretty easy to fix myself, correct?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Uh oh!

I took my BP/W apart today to dump the water out of the wing and realized the pull cord on my butt dump was totally gone. Probably got broken off on the boat at one point. Have to run down to the shop tomorrow night anyway, so I should be able to get the replacement part. Should be pretty easy to fix myself, correct?
View Quote
You should just be able to replace the cord with some #24 cave line and one of those plastic knob pull thingys unless you want to get all fancy and what not. In my spares kit I carry a couple of feet of #24 line and one of those knob pull thingys for times such as these.

Pick up a tube of Goop or Aquaseal while you're at it. A little dab on your knots will keep them from unravelling. If you buy Aquaseal put it in your freezer when you're done; that will prevent it from drying out and it will stay usable for months to years down the road.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I have Aquaseal in my freezer but no cave line. Off to the shop tonight for something else so I'll see about picking up the line.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Replacing the cord is a matter of unscrewing the cap on the dump valve and attaching a new line.

A drop of super glue on the knot works better than Aqua-Seal and lasts longer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#47]
And a lot of people cut the knob off anyway.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I walked into the shop tonight and asked for some cord and the knob thingy. One of the guys fixed it for me, showing me how to do it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:16:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#49]
I just watched some video my buddy took of me while diving in Lake Michigan Saturday. My tank/wing are very much over onto the left side of my back. How exactly to fix it? I see my waist belt wasn't as nearly tight as it should have been. I should have tightened it after I got into the water, but didn't. You can kind of tell in this pic:

Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I just watched some video my buddy took of me while diving in Lake Michigan Saturday. My tank/wing are very much over onto the left side of my back. How exactly to fix it? I see my waist belt wasn't as nearly tight as it should have been. I should have tightened it after I got into the water, but didn't. You can kind of tell in this pic:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/279183/GOPR0545-243398.jpg
View Quote
Just be comfortable. Sometimes I like my gear tight, sometimes loose. Sometimes I can tell that my bladder is wonky, sometimes I can't. But after the always be breathing rule, is to be comfortable in the water.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top