User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Page / 51
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Marie:
Remember my friend that died at Cow last year?

Here’s the report.

https://nsscds.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Cow-Springs-2023.1.7.pdf
View Quote

@Marie
So sorry about your friend.

That's very sad, the report was well written and presented in a manner that was both well versed in the aspects of cave diving as well as presenting all of the findings in an objective manner (especially for a non-cave diver such as myself).
Unfortunately, I am all to aware of incidents (non-diving) that while some had better outcomes (non-fatal), need to be dispersed to the community (in this case cave divers) so they can learn from what happened. In any type of accident, it's usually not one single "thing" but a cascading effect of small things that become insurmountable or unrecoverable.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jpk33:

@Marie
So sorry about your friend.

That's very sad, the report was well written and presented in a manner that was both well versed in the aspects of cave diving as well as presenting all of the findings in an objective manner (especially for a non-cave diver such as myself).
Unfortunately, I am all to aware of incidents (non-diving) that while some had better outcomes (non-fatal), need to be dispersed to the community (in this case cave divers) so they can learn from what happened. In any type of accident, it's usually not one single "thing" but a cascading effect of small things that become insurmountable or unrecoverable.

View Quote

Yes. This sort of accident analysis is common in cave/tech diving.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:33:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#3]
Originally Posted By Marie:
Remember my friend that died at Cow last year?

Here’s the report.

https://nsscds.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Cow-Springs-2023.1.7.pdf
View Quote

That was sad to read. My own close-call was at Cow on the downstream side, so reading that part about how your friend was still a three minute swim from the entry point hit kind of close to home - I was only about 20-30 feet back in the DS side of the cave when I inhaled all that water and the thought did cross my mind at how unbelievably stupid it was that this might be where it ended for me, if I didn't relax and fix the problem.

As for the analysis report... it would be nice if they were released sooner. I know this is highly contested but no one is ever really able to give me an actual good reason why the IUCRR side of the house can't release their notes once the death investigation is closed, along with a copy of what is a public record investigative report... it's always some mystical "it will cause legal trouble" hysteria.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

That was sad to read. My own close-call was at Cow on the downstream side, so reading that part about how your friend was still a three minute swim from the entry point hit kind of close to home - I was only about 20-30 feet back in the DS side of the cave when I inhaled all that water and the thought did cross my mind at how unbelievably stupid it was that this might be where it ended for me, if I didn't relax and fix the problem.

As for the analysis report... it would be nice if they were released sooner. I know this is highly contested but no one is ever really able to give me an actual good reason why the IUCRR side of the house can't release their notes once the death investigation is closed, along with a copy of what is a public record investigative report... it's always some mystical "it will cause legal trouble" hysteria.
View Quote

Yikes!
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Cabinsite Cove
Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Lake Mohave

Water temp 53º
Air temp 47º
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53515824522_b063bfeb09_b.jpg

Cabinsite Cove
Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Lake Mohave

Water temp 53º
Air temp 47º
View Quote

Awesome photo!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Got to binge on all things Great Lakes shipwreck related this weekend at an event in WI, put on by the group I’m secretary of. Had a great time, saw lots of folks I’ve not see in a while. Made dive plans for the s7mmer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I did a 51 minute solo dive at Blue Heron Bridge today (wife was within 2 hours of the area for work so I came to visit)... I've seen reports for a week of Portuguese man-o-war jellyfish being spotted all around BHB and came to see them for myself... didn't find any. :(

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Spent just about $300 on o2 sensors. I’ll be diving in about a month. Yay!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Should be going out to Buford on Wednesday. Might do Hudson Grotto on Thursday as well, not sure yet. I'd planned on possibly doing Ginnie Tuesday (in lieu of Hudson) but my friend asked me to pick up some airport runs his business is overflowing with this week, so I may go make instead of spend money. Haven't been in the water since that dive at Blue Heron, and before that it was probably February 7th?
Page / 51
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top