Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Page / 51
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:46:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#1]
Something was going wonky on my rebreather yesterday. The o2 level kept going higher than it should be. I would have to do two dil flushes in a row to bring the o2 level down, but o2 level went back up again. Absolutely needs to be checked out. A WI friend is going to help me troubleshoot. I’m going up to Madison sometime this week for him to help me with it. This way I don’t have to take O2 first stage and MAV to dive shop unless necessary.

It’s either IP on o2 first stage being too high or the flow rate on leaky valve is too high.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Lake Mohave was pretty cool!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
Lake Mohave was pretty cool!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/165249/70580019362__02552C12-09DE-4FE4-9C30-1AE-2817646.JPG
View Quote

Looks great! How was viz/temp?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
WI friend tweaked my CCR last night. O2 reg was too high and flow rate on leaky valve was a bit high.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Looks great! How was viz/temp?
View Quote

Viz was probably 15-20 feet, temperature was 65-67 degrees. I made it about 35 minutes before I wanted to turn the dive and swim back to our entry point because I was starting to cramp up. Total dive time was approximately 47 minutes, max depth 52 feet
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Underwater archaeology class was a bust. Bad viz, dive site that had too long of a walk for my bum knees. Did one of the two dives. I packed up and left while class was in the water for second dive. I was utterly bored. Realized while I like looking at wrecks, measuring and drawing them bores me to tears.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Definitely want to, one day!

If he moves back to FL we already have plans for the Oriskany and Hydro Atlantic after I do this class
View Quote

Did the hydro by accident. Boat dropped us on the wrong wreck. I looked at it from 120 and aborted.  Was diving 28% expecting a 120 max bottom. If you haven't done the speigel add it to your list.  I did it sideways and upright. Amazing how much different it is and a way better dive,  being upright.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Did the hydro by accident. Boat dropped us on the wrong wreck. I looked at it from 120 and aborted.  Was diving 28% expecting a 120 max bottom. If you haven't done the speigel add it to your list.  I did it sideways and upright. Amazing how much different it is and a way better dive,  being upright.
View Quote

Knowing this MF, he'll probably want to scooter out there.

I did find a couple other wrecks I'm interested in checking out in the Gulf though, from here down to Fort Myers, so that'll be cool as I can find buddies and check them off. I just need to get faster gearing up SM with steels on a pitching boat deck, or give up on the idea and band a set of my steels to dive backmount off boats if it's something I'm going to do regularly. Honestly not much of a fan of the idea, even though it is possible...
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m off to the Straits of Mackinac in two weeks for wreck diving. Yay! Been three years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Knowing this MF, he'll probably want to scooter out there.

I did find a couple other wrecks I'm interested in checking out in the Gulf though, from here down to Fort Myers, so that'll be cool as I can find buddies and check them off. I just need to get faster gearing up SM with steels on a pitching boat deck, or give up on the idea and band a set of my steels to dive backmount off boats if it's something I'm going to do regularly. Honestly not much of a fan of the idea, even though it is possible...
View Quote

The PITA factor of SM off a boat is why I went CCR and a BM unit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll be honest, doing a hot drop in 6 foot seas with steel tanks was NOT an ideal moment for "let's do boat sidemount for the first time!"

I think doing it in a lightweight travel rig (DECO bladder + home-rigged harness) with aluminum tanks would be much easier considering the weight and buoyancy characteristics of the aluminums, and without the hot drop being added in. I wouldn't take that setup for a 100+ foot wreck dive or anything to do with decompression, but something 60 feet or shallower it'd be perfect.

Definitely not diving steel tanks in that shit though. Tried that at Lake Mohave. Had no lift from the wing below 47 feet until I had breathed about 1/4 or 1/3 of the gas down from the tanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#13]
For the lake dive, from shore:

Two Faber HP100s (rentals), 3600psi air
5mm wetsuit
DECO wing (22lb lift)
LM 10-24 canister light

We were supposed to have a classic XDEEP wing to go over mine… but forgot it. It was a 2 hour drive one-way so no chance of going back to get it after we already forgot weights for my buddy 😂
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:41:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#14]
Buford was fun today. Met up around 8am at Breakfast Station on Northcliffe in Spring Hill, then headed into Chassahowitzka.

It was top-to-bottom visibility, basically as far as your light would go. We did two dives (they were shorter as my buddy is still advanced OW cert and a single-tank diver) running the line on NDLs and had a great time. It POURED here yesterday so I'm surprised the viz was the same as when I came out to check it on Saturday afternoon with my wife and the dogs in preparation for today.

Dive #1: 122 feet, total run time 36 minutes
Dive #2: 109 feet, total run time 39 minutes

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Wife decided to take off work two days for my birthday this year and told me we can go somewhere and do whatever I want - might be going down to the Panhandle, or South FL if the Blue Heron Bridge is fixed up by then (I don't want to dive sidemount and have to carry shit across the road to the small beach so I decided I wasn't going until the work they're doing to it is finished), and providing the weather isn't bad since we'd be near the tail end of hurricane season
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Got all geared up in drysuit, heavy undies, and CCR in 90 degree weather last Saturday at the quarry. Get in the water and go under in 4ft deep water to make sure everything was fine. BIG bubbles coming out of my DSV.  I said fuck it and got out of the water. I was too hot to dry to troubleshoot there.

Got home and took it apart with advice from friends. Couldn’t see anything wrong. Contacted Kiss and sent it back to them. Turns out sand had gotten inside the DSV and scratched the inner barrel that opens/closes it. They cleaned it up and polished it. Sent it back out yesterday.

Straits trip next weekend. WI buddy sent me his spare DSV for the trip. I’ll be diving it tomorrow. Get mine back Monday. WI buddies are going to show me how to fix the DSV issue for the future.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:53:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#17]
Trip next weekend is shallower recreational depths as there are some OW divers, along with 1-2 AOW divers. It’s to introduce them to Great Lakes wreck diving. I’m limited to 100ft right now, so it’s perfect. Hope to dive the Sandusky. 85ft deep, she sank in 1856.

Shipwreck Sandusky, May 4, 2019. Straits of Mackinac
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Loaner DSV worked just fine today. No bubbles. Had a lovely 50 min dive.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:35:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#19]
Loaner DSV worked just fine today. No bubbles. Had a lovely 50 min dive.
View Quote

Nice!

ETA: I wound up with a cold this week, so I won't be doing any diving this weekend most likely. Dropped off my deco bottle for hydro, VIP, & O2 cleaning yesterday. Wife's car had the engine maintenance light come on last week and I thought it was the more annoying version of the "maintenance required" light for the upcoming or slightly overdue oil change - turns out it was a cracked coolant bypass valve in the back of the motor near the firewall. Thank God she purchased that bullshit "extended warranty" from the dealership because it was a $610 repair and covered 100% with no deductible for warranty work. That would've put a damper in my ability to do the AN/DP class for sure... although it would've been nice if the dealership had been accurate in telling us her maintenance coverage expired at 36k miles. I've paid for five oil changes and tire rotations since she got that SUV that would've been covered 100% under the extended plan... at $80 apiece.

On a positive note, I picked this up early last week for $30 because I wanted a video tray for my GoPro again. I think the Sola 500 will work great for small passageway in caves/wrecks or up close shots (a la Blue Heron Bridge).

Attachment Attached File

Then I get on ScubaBoard two nights ago, and find a Big Blue VL6000P video light for $200 shipped with a battery (same type my 8000 takes)... so in a week or two I should have two scooter lights, or a decent video light to pass off to a friend.

Also, was talking to Guy Bryant the other day and some of his recent work cleaning up Big Blue/Citrus Blue (spring about 20 minutes from my house, on the Withlacoochee) is going to be an ongoing project. Sounds like I might be able to help them out with it - they're trying to get the entrance unblocked so the cave can flow again because people have thrown shit like logs and rocks in the way.

Removing Logs from Citrus Blue Spring (A.K.A. Big Blue Spring)

Citrus Blue Spring (A.K.A Big Blue Spring)
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Off to the Straits of Mackinac today.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#21]
AN/DP booked for July 3-5
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#22]
AN/DP booked for July 3-5
View Quote

Nice! Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Nice! Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks. I was feeling really confident, then I hung up my phone call with Bill (instructor) and was like "well... fuck" when it dawned on me that I haven't taken a dive class since 2016.

Definitely have some skills work to do, bit rusty on some stuff so I'm going to be proactive and try to get a dive or two in this week and next week both before class to solely work on things like mask removal/replacement, shooting an SMB, hand signals, etc. so I can (hopefully) breeze through the class.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Thanks. I was feeling really confident, then I hung up my phone call with Bill (instructor) and was like "well... fuck" when it dawned on me that I haven't taken a dive class since 2016.

Definitely have some skills work to do, bit rusty on some stuff so I'm going to be proactive and try to get a dive or two in this week and next week both before class to solely work on things like mask removal/replacement, shooting an SMB, hand signals, etc. so I can (hopefully) breeze through the class.
View Quote

SMB is a big one. You’ll have to reel yourself up from deep. At least from 100ft.

Make sure you have a decent reel!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#26]

SMB is a big one. You’ll have to reel yourself up from deep. At least from 100ft.

Make sure you have a decent reel!
View Quote

I've got Light Monkey 400 and 200 footers, plus quite a few 50 and 100 foot finger spools. Been needing to go to the park or something and run all the line off of the 400 footer for quite some time to reel it back up nice and evenly, sounds like that'll be happening this week or weekend.

Finished Advanced EANx online course today, I've already read the deco procedures book but I'm on chapter 2 or 3 of that online course now. Weather isn't looking super hot for our trip to Buford tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking these monster rain storms we've had for the last week on an almost daily basis have probably left it rather FUBAR.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#27]
You don’t want a reel that’s too big. I’d go with the 200ft one. Will these be boat dives?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
You don’t want a reel that’s too big. I’d go with the 200ft one. Will these be boat dives?
View Quote

Nope. There is no boat diving worth a shit within 4-5 hours drive of here. It will be sites like Blue Grotto and Buford
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Buford is blown out now (or at least the top 20ft of the water column is fairly tannic) and after the monstrosity of a thunderstorm we're having right now, I'm sure it will just get worse before next week. Planning on hitting Paradise Springs tomorrow in Ocala to do some skills work before class, might travel up to High Springs on Saturday with my wife and make a day out of it to go swimming, get fills at CCDS, and grab lunch at Great Outdoors.

Also, I am consistently impressed with Dive Gear Express. I placed my order of small incidental stuff (o-rings for my scooter, bolt snaps, new bungee for my harness, a book) Monday at 10:30am and it arrived Tuesday afternoon on their "super saver" shipping.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Buford is blown out now (or at least the top 20ft of the water column is fairly tannic) and after the monstrosity of a thunderstorm we're having right now, I'm sure it will just get worse before next week. Planning on hitting Paradise Springs tomorrow in Ocala to do some skills work before class, might travel up to High Springs on Saturday with my wife and make a day out of it to go swimming, get fills at CCDS, and grab lunch at Great Outdoors.

Also, I am consistently impressed with Dive Gear Express. I placed my order of small incidental stuff (o-rings for my scooter, bolt snaps, new bungee for my harness, a book) Monday at 10:30am and it arrived Tuesday afternoon on their "super saver" shipping.
View Quote

DGX is awesome, I've always had great service from them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#31]
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Doc had me get my knees x-rayed during annual yesterday. Results already. Moderate to severe osteoarthritis in both knees. Believe it or not, some in the diving community didn’t believe me about the knee issues. Still need to get referral to ortho to see about treatment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:05:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#33]
Doc had me get my knees x-rayed during annual yesterday. Results already. Moderate to severe osteoarthritis in both knees. Believe it or not, some in the diving community didn’t believe me about the knee issues. Still need to get referral to ortho to see about treatment.
View Quote

@Marie
My mother had OA in her knees and has had both replaced.

The 1st recovery was a bit rough, so she put off the 2nd for 5 years and wishes she hadn't.

That said, the 2nd recovery was completely different and she was walking, albeit with a cane for support, within 2 days. Something to think about.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine were so bad I could not climb dive boat ladder with my gear on, got both full replacements but still have issues.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 7:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#35]
The only joint replacement I've seen in relation to diving was my buddy having both hips replaced. He was back in the water stronger than ever within 4-6 months, IIRC (this was at least six years ago and he has long since gone completely MIA to all of us that dove with him at the time).

Also, these ski goggle-style mask straps are the bee's knees. My strap broke on me at Paradise at the very beginning of the dive the other day, so I just dove my backup mask and grabbed the spare at the truck afterwards. Saw the ski-style ones at the shop earlier today when I was getting all my tanks filled for class next week and decided to splurge on one. I can't wait to try it!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve seen the new Fourth Element masks with the ski goggle style strap. Was loaned one by a shop to try, but I had to return it before I could try it. Do look nice!

Diving with one of my WI CCR buddies at a nice site on the IL/WI border today. Pouring rain now but should stop by later in the am.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Worked with a newer diver who just bought his own drysuit. He was kicking up the bottom too, so we spent the dive on a platform while he worked on his buoyancy. He saw me doing frog and now he’s trying that. The quarry where we were has a silty bottom, and where he kicked it up when to zero viz instantly.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:31:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#38]
I’ve seen the new Fourth Element masks with the ski goggle style strap. Was loaned one by a shop to try, but I had to return it before I could try it. Do look nice!
View Quote

After diving it for three days doing AN/DP... highly recommended. It was way more comfortable. The only thing I can see being a potential problem is if your hood gets air inside it (my Fourth Element one is very thin because no other hoods fit my head/neck size) and the bubble were to get below the strap, somehow. It felt a little loose in that particular incident but otherwise I give it 5 outta 5 stars.

Link Posted: 7/18/2023 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Went to the ortho today. Got cortisone injections in both knees and doc is getting approval from insurance for other injections.

Candidate for eventual replacement.

Doc is a diver! Warm water but at least has an idea of what I was talking about with dive boat ladder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Went to the ortho today. Got cortisone injections in both knees and doc is getting approval from insurance for other injections.

Candidate for eventual replacement.

Doc is a diver! Warm water but at least has an idea of what I was talking about with dive boat ladder.
View Quote

That's always a bonus! Hopefully the shots help your knees. My podiatrist told me he wouldn't recommend them for my tendinitis because it leaves you more prone to rupture with each injection, and I think I'd rather just deal with daily pain than have a potential 6-12 month injury/rehab process. I can't afford that, in time off, loss of mobility/independence, or financially

Signed up for the Steve Martin Masterclass program yesterday during a work training. I haven't watched any of the videos yet but I think there are four hours of video included and it was like $13 or something. I'd like to get into his full program that covers back and sidemount education as well, but it's hard to justify paying a couple hundred dollars for that when I don't have the attention span to sit down and watch YouTube videos for hours on end (nor will I remember to do it on a daily basis to work through them all). I also started back on 75Hard and using the 1st Phorm app to track my nutrition and exercise so I can lose weight to make deco diving easier on my body and get to where I want to be in order to get a drysuit at some point. Hopefully by my birthday (October) I'm down at least 20-30 pounds. Took me 14 months to lose 70 a few years ago but I've gained it all back because of laziness and poor eating habits that got me fat in the first place!
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Got the new 5mm wet today.  Lovely 50 min solo dive at the local quarry. 69F. It’s so humid here that it was much better with the wetsuit than the dry suit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Got the new 5mm wet today.  Lovely 50 min solo dive at the local quarry. 69F. It’s so humid here that it was much better with the wetsuit than the dry suit.
View Quote

Heat index was 109 here today, then it rained. Had me thinking I might load my crap up in the morning around 6 and go dive the Nest again, then I remembered the surface pond water was 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a great dive in 71 degree water yesterday. Nice and refreshing. I’m finally over 20 hours on rebreather. At 21 something.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm planning on going Friday and hopefully Sunday this weekend. Might do Troy on Friday with my wife and then Orange Grove on Sunday with my buddy that is looking to start prepping for cavern class. Figured I'd run him through some line drills on land and have him do some stuff in open water that he'll be required to do in class so he can get a taste for it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Did a drift dive of the Rainbow River with my Blacktip on Monday since my Sunday plans last weekend got canceled.

Gonna sit down tonight and figure out why my first stages keep throwing the DIN o-ring. I think they're slightly oversized (apparently ScubaPro MK25's use a 111 o-ring and the ones I have are the common DIN size, 112) but it's getting rather annoying. I had one of them blow Monday while scootering upriver a bit to go back and check something out - on the trigger, do a reg swap and I get half a breath (tank valve got turned off apparently while I was hurriedly getting ready on the shore in chest deep water - no biggie), go to turn the tank on and I immediately turn into a geyser of bubbles.

I had a few other issues and it was truly a decent training dive, by the time it was all said and done. LOL
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Been diving the the quarry on the IL/WI border a lot the last month or so. Back at the usual place as they allow solo. Out here now and just enjoying the weather. An OW instructor just came by and yelled at me for answering questions about my rebreather. Said I was distracting her students.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Been diving the the quarry on the IL/WI border a lot the last month or so. Back at the usual place as they allow solo. Out here now and just enjoying the weather. An OW instructor just came by and yelled at me for answering questions about my rebreather. Said I was distracting her students.
View Quote

I hope you told Ms. Karen OWSI to fuck off... in front of her students.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FB41:

I hope you told Ms. Karen OWSI to fuck off... in front of her students.
View Quote

Yep. And to rub it in, I told her I also solo on my rebreather - which is just fine with the quarry owners (solo is allowed). That really yanked her chain.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Took last weekend off as buddies cancelled on me for a place I couldn’t solo at. This week has been hell at work and the horrible heat and humidity haven’t helped. Taking tomorrow off, too. I have my CCL renewal class on Sunday so no diving Sunday if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Off to the NE part of the Michigan Lower Peninsula for wreck diving on northern Lake Huron this weekend.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top