User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Just be comfortable. Sometimes I like my gear tight, sometimes loose. Sometimes I can tell that my bladder is wonky, sometimes I can't. But after the always be breathing rule, is to be comfortable in the water.
View Quote
It's just sort of awkward when it's so far to one side. I am much more comfortable than I was. Trying to find someone to dive with Saturday (already diving with my regular buddy Sunday). The more I"m in the water, the better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I completed my 50th dive today.  Woo hoo! Yay! Buoyancy and trim were pretty good. Finally feels like things are beginning to click for the most part.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Night class Saturday evening. I should have my Advanced card after.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on getting your 50th, Marie.

Drysuit and Search and Recovery next week for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

View Quote
I did a pool drysuit dive a little while back,  instructor told me he'll give me pointers while we finish XRN, he's not going to take me through the drusuit cert class and cost.   I was,  and remain, thankful,  but i kinda want the card
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
Nice!

I am still sometimes shocked I've made it this far!

My last specialty will be wreck, which will be on Lake Michigan the last weekend in August. Hope we have good weather and don't get blown out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
I did a pool drysuit dive a little while back,  instructor told me he'll give me pointers while we finish XRN, he's not going to take me through the drusuit cert class and cost.   I was,  and remain, thankful,  but i kinda want the card
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Do you have your own drysuit? If you don't have the card, a lot of places won't rent you a drysuit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Do you have your own drysuit? If you don't have the card, a lot of places won't rent you a drysuit.
View Quote
Oh yeah.  Rental equipment is dangerous. Tanks and weights are the only rental equipment ill even consider.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an acquaintance I know through DRIS (met this guy and his wife at the underwater pumpkin carving last October) who has his own dive boat he keeps at Sanilac, MI on southern Lake Huron. He's invited me out to dive with him and his wife the middle of August. We'll be diving the Regina and the Mary Alice B. Woo hoo! That means I'll be hitting Lake Huron twice this season.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#12]
My Lake Huron diving trip in 10 days involves an 8 hour one way drive. Is there anything else you pack for a diving road trip that you wouldn't take on a usual local dive trip (within a couple of hours)?

We will have access to a dive shop, as the charter boat captain also owns the local dive shop.

I'm not taking my tanks (except for my pony). Alpena dive shop does partial pressure nitrox fills and my tanks aren't O2 cleaned. My own shop here banks 32%. Using rental tanks also leaves more room in my trunk. My Focus is going to be crammed with gear for two (dive buddy driving with me). I'm taking both wet and drysuits as I might dive dry depending on temps.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I always pack for contingencies. Extra clothing, food, water. Of course, make sure that your vehicle is ready for longer travel, as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
My Lake Huron diving trip in 10 days involves an 8 hour one way drive. Is there anything else you pack for a diving road trip that you wouldn't take on a usual local dive trip (within a couple of hours)?

We will have access to a dive shop, as the charter boat captain also owns the local dive shop.

I'm not taking my tanks (except for my pony). Alpena dive shop does partial pressure nitrox fills and my tanks aren't O2 cleaned. My own shop here banks 32%. Using rental tanks also leaves more room in my trunk. My Focus is going to be crammed with gear for two (dive buddy driving with me). I'm taking both wet and drysuits as I might dive dry depending on temps.
View Quote
That's some serious dedication to going diving. The boats I use are 30 minutes drive in traffic, 15 minutes at 6am on a weekend morning. And I haven't made the 2 hour drive to drive to the keys in years. I'm so spoiled.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
That's some serious dedication to going diving. The boats I use are 30 minutes drive in traffic, 15 minutes at 6am on a weekend morning. And I haven't made the 2 hour drive to drive to the keys in years. I'm so spoiled.
View All Quotes

There are a fair number of us in the Midwest who make drives like that to do diving. I'm used to long road trips - 2 days of driving each way - so this actually short for me! It will be very strange to have someone along for the ride, so buddy will be able to drive if I need a break.

The Lake Michigan boat is only about an hour away. Lake Huron is 3 days of diving.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:43:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Night dives did not go very well tonight. I had a very bad diving day. My mask kept flooding in a massive way. I spent both dives constantly clearing it. Non-stop. Couldn't see anything much due to so much water in my mask. Vis was awful. Maybe 10 ft. There was another night diver in the quarry (solo certified), who kept getting in our way. Also had very bright lights and nearly blinded us more than once. The large mouth bass were hard to miss, though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Instructors mentioned yesterday before the night dives that they're teaching Rescue in September. Buddy and I are doing it next year, which we had already talked about. We need to get in better shape. It would kill me if I tried it now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#19]
I am not a nose breather. My mask leaks because I have very deep smile lines and that's where the water comes in. Always from the bottom. Starts when I equalize and if it's not on my face just right, floods! I have to get my mask on perfectly and if I do, I have very little water inside.I can go through a bunch of dives where I have a pretty dry mask, and others where it floods. I've gone through more than 10 masks and the current Cressi panoramic I've been using is the best of the bunch.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you tried a full face mask?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
No. Too expensive and I'm not interested. Oddly, it's OTS demo days at my local quarry this weekend.

Just have to keep tweaking my mask placement on face to get it perfect and make notes of what works.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#22]
No. Too expensive and I'm not interested. Oddly, it's OTS demo days at my local quarry this weekend.

Just have to keep tweaking my mask placement on face to get it perfect and make notes of what works.
View All Quotes

I have known people to go as far as putting silicone sealant on their mask skirts, Vaseline on their faces, putting the mask on and making a "custom" seal to fit their individual face structure.

It seemed a bit extreme to me, but it worked for them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FB41:

I have known people to go as far as putting silicone sealant on their mask skirts, Vaseline on their faces, putting the mask on and making a "custom" seal to fit their individual face structure.

It seemed a bit extreme to me, but it worked for them.
View Quote
It has been suggested to me to put sunscreen on my face and then mask. It's something to try.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got word I've been approved for SDI Advanced rating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:01:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#25]
Considering doing Rescue in late September. I'll have to step up the workouts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked up my Advanced card last night, just in time for my trip next week.

In line at the quarry for TDI Mission Tech Day. Going to try SM and maybe a scooter.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't try a scooter yesterday as vis was maybe 5ft. Other friends did and said they had a wild ride due to the lack of viz.

SM was fun! Tried the Hollis SMS 75. First try was a bust due to too much weight (and flooding mask issues). They had me first try the rig that had a 3lb hard weight on each shoulder. After 10 minutes, I thumbed the dive.

Tried again later. Had a borrowed mask that worked well, plus a SMS 75 with no added weight. Viz was so bad we just descended to a platform and I swam around it for about 15 minutes.  Tanks were steel LP95s. Instructor who was the demo person is actually the tech and SM instructor for my shop (he also did my nitrox class). He said my trim was decent. I was at about a 45 degree angle, but tweaking tank position would fix that, plus maybe 1lb on each shoulder. I had my 5mm wetsuit on.

It was very odd walking into the water with no weight and no tank on me. I always have my wing inflated and just otter back to put my fins on. Good thing I remembered to NOT do that just before I went to do it! SM felt wonderfully stable. It also slowed down my swimming speed and my air consumption as a result. I went through 500 psi in those 15 minutes. I didn't have to switch tanks as instructor indicated up just as I was going to switch.

I can definitely see myself doing SM in the future.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
View Quote
Haha! Knew you would say that!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I feel you on vis. Aurora was crap all weekend. The best it was was 4ft.

Due to a scheduling conflict, had to push my Navigation specialty to this coming weekend. I went there to knock out Drysuit, and pick up some Divemaster experience. Well, good thing I planned on that. The DM who was to assist with the OW class never showed. So, I assisted with the class of 9 students, and I'm getting paid for it.  It's not much at all, but it wasn't for the money.

The ancient White's rental dry...didnt fit very well, and I did get wet. The nice new rental Waterproof got snatched up by a student who didn't even complete the specialty!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#31]
My Bare XCD2 leaks under the armpit and the front of the neck where the seal is attached to the suit. It's not a constant pour of water, but there's definitely a tear in the seal and a hole in the left armpit. I considered spending the money and having the legs cut to the appropriate length and having these goddamn neoprene socks removed (I hate socks)... but then I think about how the suit is crushed neoprene and quite frankly I feel like I'm wearing a suit of armor when I put it on. Like I need anything else weighing me down!

It would fit me with probably any undergarment I could find, but I don't want to know what it would cost to have Steve Gamble cut the legs (and possibly the arms) and put rock boots or something else with a rubberized sole on there in place of the socks.

I honestly prefer diving wet, especially in the summer (if it were 30s-40s in the winter I'd take the drysuit, if it didn't leak) because it's so hot. By this time of year, I'm usually the moron swimming around in board shorts and a t-shirt in 69 degree water because the parking lot was 110 and I just said f*** it.

In the time it takes me to get my tanks rigged up and the hoses stashed; get my light, helmet, reels/spools, and whatever else I need laid out on a table or in the back of my SUV, I'm typically sweating my ass off down here in this heat and subject to being carried away by gnats and mosquitos.

Once I get some decent cash set aside, a trilaminate suit seems to be in my future... I just want to be able to fit in one of the stock sizes. Having a long torso and short legs plus being fat doesn't lend itself to cheap exposure suits at all. Every now and then I pick up my old 3mm wetsuit in the garage to get something underneath it on the gear rack and I just want to start wearing it again because it actually stretches when you put it on, and I can get it on by myself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#32]
One of the reasons I went with a USIA Techniflex trilam is because the upcharge for custom was only $150.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#33]
Had to cancel my Lake Huron trip. T'storms forecast for every day. Trying to make arrangements to dive on my shop's Lake Michigan boat. I am so bummed trip was cancelled.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the reasons I went with a USIA Techniflex trilam is because the uncharge for custom was only $150.
View Quote
How durable has it been so far? I've never seen or heard of anyone down here wearing one of their suits that I know of. Seems like everyone has White's, DUI, Santi, or Dive Rite.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:50:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#35]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:
How durable has it been so far? I've never seen or heard of anyone down here wearing one of their suits that I know of. Seems like everyone has White's, DUI, Santi, or Dive Rite.
View All Quotes
One of the reasons I went with a USIA Techniflex trilam is because the uncharge for custom was only $150.
Pretty good. It's not like I'm climbing inside wrecks, but the knees would get knocked around on a platform while I was working on stuff and they're fine. Mind you, I've only had it since late September. Probably about 35 dives on it. No leaks from the suit at all. Plastic zipper is not an option. It's got a brass zipper.

USIA is based in Oregon. DRIS is their biggest dealer. If you wanted more info on durability and how they've held up over the years, I can give you the email for DRIS' owner if you like. Mike is more than willing to answer questions.

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/techniflex-front-zip-drysuit.html

http://www.shopusia.com
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Not ready to buy one anytime soon, but those look pretty nice. Not gonna lie, I kinda dig the multicam one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Not ready to buy one anytime soon, but those look pretty nice. Not gonna lie, I kinda dig the multicam one.
View Quote

I'm still going to get dives in this week even though my Lake Huron trip is cancelled. Buddy and I are hitting the quarry Wednesday. Then we're hitting Lake Michigan for both Sat and Sun mornings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#38]

Unfortunately I lost one of my line cutters a few weeks ago when I was at the Rainbow (pulled into the docks at the KP Hole and kicked it out of the boat ), so I'm going to have to buy another one and just have an empty sheath for the time being.

That said... these cases are the shit. No worries about water retention like the nylon sheaths and the cutter has zero retention other than the velcro so it slides in/out easily when you pull it, but doesn't move or come out on its own at all. They work with either Eezycut or Dive-Rite style cutters.

Disclaimer: A friend of mine makes them; however, I do not benefit in any way from the sale of the cases. In fact, the two I ordered from him after seeing the idea, I only bought because I liked the idea of having a high visibility color (mine are orange) for my cutting tool so it could easily be found by my buddy if he forgets where I told him it was during the pre-dive check. Both of us thought it was a neat idea, but figured there was no way people would pay for the sheaths. The pre-order he did to gain the funds to buy the mold he uses to create them was over in like two hours just from his own friends and after getting the mold and starting production a week ago, he's already sold them to people in Mexico, Canada, Germany, Sweden, and all over the US (including several cave diving shops down here) via Facebook.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I felt like a cow on ice trying to do ballet today.  I was getting pretty frustrated, couldn't keep in trim and could barely hover in a 2 foot window.  The open water students that saw me didn't really know what you think of a guy in lots of strange gear, being pissed,  that i couldn't flat hover while changing between 3 regs and sending up SMBs
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:22:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#40]
I don't know that you made a sale for your friend as much as me buying my own Kydex making kit.
Do you have a picture of the back of it?
I like the idea of running the bungee instead of having to undo all of my webbing just to slide the stupid nylon "holster" on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#41]
It's routed through the holes you see on the front where the knots are.

The direction you run it is dependent on where you want to mount the holster. I had to re-do the bungee on one of mine and run it vertical to make it fit on my computer straps. Not sure where I'm going to put the second one... thinking maybe a shoulder strap on my harness? I don't have another computer or anything I regularly wear on my right arm, so I need to find a place.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Oooo, purple!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I felt like a cow on ice trying to do ballet today.  I was getting pretty frustrated, couldn't keep in trim and could barely hover in a 2 foot window.  The open water students that saw me didn't really know what you think of a guy in lots of strange gear, being pissed,  that i couldn't flat hover while changing between 3 regs and sending up SMBs
View Quote
What happened that made it such a bad dive day?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#44]

What happened that made it such a bad dive day?
View Quote
everyone has bad days sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Oh, boy, do I know that!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#46]
If he can make it to fit Predator straps I'd snag them, but really only to support a small business. I've never had any problems with any of the nylon holders for my trilobites, but it's always good to support small kydex manufacturers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Registered for Rescue and EFR course today. EFR in a month, Rescue late September. Have to get my arse in better shape in the next two months.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JohnnyC:
If he can make it to fit Predator straps I'd snag them, but really only to support a small business. I've never had any problems with any of the nylon holders for my trilobites, but it's always good to support small kydex manufacturers.
View Quote
PM'd
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#49]
We got blown out on Lake Michigan today - 4-5ft waves, Chicago beaches closed, rip currents, one person drowned.

But we're going out tomorrow. There were only the 2 of us signed up for the boat, but they allowed us to pay for a 3rd seat, which covers fuel and paying the captain. We're so tired of the local quarry and wanted to get out on the lake very badly!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I dove the Louisville wreck (sunk 1857) in Lake Michigan today. It was great, except for I wasn't feeling my best from the 3-4ft waves.  They got better as the morning went on, but by then, the damage was already done with me.

Thread here with pics and video.
Page / 51
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top