Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2014 1:58:09 PM EDT
Ok, so like most new guys to the vaping game I have some questions that I just feel stupid even asking, but hey I never claimed to be smart

How about a thread that the n00bs can ask all of our dumb questions?

I'll start

I have a RSST RBA (genesis type) that is designed to be a single coil.  I've since lost the tiny rubber plug for the fill hole (I mean, c'mon, who hasn't right?)

Can I run a second coil above the fill hole and use  the same + and - post for each coil or am I risking fingers/face?

Also, if this is possible, are there any dangers to drilling a small hole for future fills centered above the + post?

I know, crappy iPotato pic but you get the idea.  And if this is extremely stupid I apologize.  The thought dawned on me today when I was building a new coil
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, and if I understand what I have been reading, then doing this would wire them in parallel and i would have to wrap x2 3ohm coils to get 1.5ohms of resistance? (which is about what I run normally on a single coil)

This is purely for experimental purposes to decide if I want to spend the money on a decent 2 coil RBA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yepp, that's how the math works, although in practical terms, you don't want two 3 ohm coils as they'll take forever to heat up.

If you're curious about the math http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that wont work then.  My current setup at home is a Vamo v5 which is great for what it is but wont fire anything below 1.2

Guess I'll have to make the leap into a decent mod with good batteries
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Nemesis is good but honestly I'd recommend a panzer...even a clone will be just fine. I had a nemesis, worked good, switched to a panzer and omg it's the tits...rda, trident,zenith v2, brass monkey are all nice but for starters I'd recommend igo w
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is purely for experimental purposes to decide if I want to spend the money on a decent 2 coil RBA.
View Quote

Oh, you do.

Just get a Kraken from Fasttech and don't look back. It's what, a whole whoppin' $16?

I mean, I'm not talkin' to NYShooter here

While you're at it, grab an Omega and a Kayfun and cover all the major styles.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, you do.

Just get a Kraken from Fasttech and don't look back. It's what, a whole whoppin' $16?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you do.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you do.

http://i.imgur.com/yiozIXe.jpg

think he was calling you vape cheap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you do.

Which is why that pic fits perfectly ("pot meet kettle").  He's as cheap as me.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, just grabbed a HCigar Nemesis/Omega combo off ebay.  With any luck it will be here by the weekend (shipping from OK to TX).  I will try to post pics once it gets here.

Guy at the smoke pit had one today and I immediately had to get one.  Thing felt solid and he confirmed it hit like a champ.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Are dedicated ohm meters a waste of money or is it just as easy to use one of your mod's if it has that capability?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are dedicated ohm meters a waste of money or is it just as easy to use one of your mod's if it has that capability?
View Quote

Generally, I'd say it's still a good idea to get a stand alone even if not a strict requirement. One reason is for wrapping low ohm coils that your mod may not read. The other is that I've found the ohm readers on different mods are often inconsistent between different brands and even mods of the same type. There's nothing to guarantee that a meter is more accurate, but it's good to have a consistent baseline. They also make for a nice stable build platform for those builds where you need three hands.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Generally, I'd say it's still a good idea to get a stand alone even if not a strict requirement. One reason is for wrapping low ohm coils that your mod may not read. The other is that I've found the ohm readers on different mods are often inconsistent between different brands and even mods of the same type. There's nothing to guarantee that a meter is more accurate, but it's good to have a consistent baseline. They also make for a nice stable build platform for those builds where you need three hands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additionally I would much rather trash the 510 connection in a $15 ohm reader than on a mod.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Additionally I would much rather trash the 510 connection in a $15 ohm reader than on a mod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are there any of them out there that are decent quality? The ones I've seen in the B&M stores around here have just felt, cheap. No idea who made them, didn't ask.

I like the idea of a nice platform to build coils on. I just use my DMM to measure coils right now. Maybe I'll just make my own. Hmmm
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, and that makes perfect since.  Any recommendations out there?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, you do.

I'm the King of all Cheapasses, bish

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Round 2...

Now that my Nemesis arrived I am enjoying it too much to move back to the Vamo right now, but there is a problem.

I got 2 batteries in the pack with the v5, an AW IMR 2000mAH and a generic that I cannot ID.  It is blue and the only print on the side is ICR 18650 3.7v 2600mAH.

From what I can see online, this is a no go in a mech.  I read something about the draw being two times the rating which would bring me in roughly around 5amps.

With my .7ohm single coil I'm running (because I suck right now and cannot get the dual coils to sit in there to my satisfaction/ohm rating) I am drawing 6 amps.

Am I misinterpreting this or would I be at risk using it?  I am going with my gut on this and saying screw it.  I need to get down and pick up some juice anyway so I will check their prices on VT4s/5s.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I use my 2 ICR batts in my mech, but ONLY when i'm using a 1ohm coil or higher. Both of these are Kamry batteries that came with my K100.

To be honest, these are not normal rotation batteries.. More or less backup batts.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay, so this is more of a PSA rather than a question.  Folks with experience, feel free to chime in if I am giving bad info...

I was on a dedicated vaper's forum today to find tips for building a parallel coil on my Omega (because I suck and the deep drip pan makes it more difficult than some)

Placed the kanthanal through the center post, build both my coils with 8 wraps and get it secured into the two neg posts.  Go to fire and I'm getting uneven heat.  Take a closer look and when I tightened down the pos terminal I cut through the wire creating two separate coils

Get it all hooked up and it takes an unexpectedly long time to glow red; Ohm'd out at .7 which is what I was aiming for since I got such good production from my single .7 ohm coil.  Then I realized I'm an idiot...

With parallel coils, the resistance is half of one single coil, so each coil is 1.4 for a combined resistance of .7

What I didn't take into consideration is that the power draw isn't going to change regardless of how many coils I run.  Ohms law dictates the mod will pull 6 amps on a 4.2V battery and .7ohms of resistance regardless of how many coils I have.  The difference is those 6 amps are now split between 2 ;egs and each coil is actually only pulling 3 amps (hence the coils take twice as long to get hot).  Another way to think of it is each coil is 1.4 ohms and will only pull 3 amps (x2 coils) for a total draw of 6amps.   If you want the vapor production you are getting with your single coil and decide to move to a dual coil, do the math because you will need twice the amps to get the same level of heat and vapor production and on a mech you control your amp draw with coil resistance.

TL;DR...If you think that moving to a dual coil with the same resistance and volts you used with your single coil is going to produce twice the volume of vape you are mistaken

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Correct!

And quad coils are even worse.

However you do get more surface area with more coils.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I find the only reason to use a dual coil setup on something like an RDA is i get more pulls between drips.

On a single coil i may get any where from 4-6 pulls vs 8-12 on a dual coil but that is really depending on what wire, how many wraps and the inside diameter and cotton
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I find the only reason to use a dual coil setup on something like an RDA is i get more pulls between drips.

On a single coil i may get any where from 4-6 pulls vs 8-12 on a dual coil but that is really depending on what wire, how many wraps and the inside diameter and cotton
View Quote
I don't know.  I agree it will last longer but I feel I have got better flavor though it takes much longer to get hot.  I haven't made up my mind yet.  But that's half the fun for me; experimentation  Once the Sonys get here I'm going to charge and go low for shits and grins.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, I've got stupid questions:

Is sub-ohming for vapor production only?

If flavor isn't compromised, how does it compare to a kayfun?

I'm going to do some soldering for a local vape shop.  In return, they're going to give me one of the sx 350 chips.  They would build me a mod, but the boxes/tubes aren't complicated and I can do that myself.

For someone like me who isn't a cloudchaser, would the chip have any appeal to me?  35 watts is great I'm sure, but I'm pretty damn happy with my provari and a kayfun.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't know.  I agree it will last longer but I feel I have got better flavor though it takes much longer to get hot.  I haven't made up my mind yet.  But that's half the fun for me; experimentation  Once the Sonys get here I'm going to charge and go low for shits and grins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a newb, but it seems that my higher resistance coils gunk up faster than the slightly lower ones.  May just be my juice?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Makes sense since there is more surface area for the burnt stuff to stick to but I can't say for sure.  I'm sure your brand and mixture of juice could have an effect.  In my very limited experience my sub ohm stuff has been far more intense but not necessarily more flavorful.  One of those not worse just different kind of comparasons.  Because I'm new I can't say for sure what I like yet.

Think of it as getting laid for the first time.  You think it was the greatest thing in life until you start trying different "builds" and figure out what you've been missing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top