User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ohiobr:

You don't happen to have a pair of Russell's hurons do you? 

Been eyeballing them for a while but haven't been able to decide between those or a pair of Quoddy Maliseets. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ohiobr:

Originally Posted By Rodent:

Russell Moccasin Co. makes custom shoes and boots. They're expensive to buy, but a bargain in the long run. If/when the soles wear out, you can have Russell replace them. I have four pairs of Russell, and have come to the conclusion that will a minimum of care, the uppers will never wear out. At least not before I do.

One of their models is a chukka called the "Convention Walker". They're made specifically for standing and walking indoors on hard floors. Lightweight, with a springy kind of sole and a leather that breathes really well. They have a good outdoorsy/casual look, they go on and off much more easily than a boot, and they're as comfortable as socks. I've done those death-marches through airport customs thinking, "Wow, these shoes are really comfortable!"

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-short-premier-convention-walker/
You don't happen to have a pair of Russell's hurons do you? 

Been eyeballing them for a while but haven't been able to decide between those or a pair of Quoddy Maliseets. 

I don't. I can't tell from the pic if they have a padded collar or not, that's an important detail for me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Late to the party, but I wear a coat / tie or suit and a BLACK pair of these to work every day:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ELXV54?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Late to the party, but I wear a coat / tie or suit and a BLACK pair of these to work every day:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ELXV54?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Chelsea is dressier than a chukka so it kind of depends on what you declare business casual. Chinos and polos chukka would be fine. Wool/dress pants and button ups I'd go Chelsea. I have both and both serve their place in different things.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile boots that I plan to wear to work.  They should work with khakis, chinos or jeans. 
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

you must be a city slicker.

ever hear of dress cowboy boots?  I didn't think so.
View Quote
Dood.

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Step up and spend some of your hard earned money on the best damned shoes and boots that you will ever wear.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/boots/
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NoVAR:

I used to buy AEs nearly exclusively, but after the results of their last trunk show [missed specs and poor finishing on tons of shell orders ($$)], poorly executed GMTOs I've been a part of, and the QC missteps I've seen on their first quality shoes I've moved on and am not looking back.  IMHO AE does make classic, albeit stodgy dress shoes.  At the same price point, I think Europe and Spain are miles ahead stylistically, which typically has nothing to do with construction, but is worth consideration.  Both brands I listed (Carmina and Carlos Santos) are also goodyear welted, but better finished, and with better leather.  IME the diversity of the lasts usually means anyone can find something that fits them.  Compared to some of AEs most popular lasts which I think are the ones that are hardest to fit.

When AE firsts were selling around $330 I agree it was hard to find other proper goodyear welted shoes at that price.  But now at $385, there's a lot more competition.  And less than $200 away are hand-welted options.  And now that AE's being bought by Caleres (owns Famous Footwear) who knows what's going to happen to their offerings

EDIT:  Justin Fitzpatrick footwear is another option that is "classic with a twist" from a style standpoint, but a superb value at less than AE first costs.
View Quote
Why are trunk shows, shell orders (cordovan?) and GMTOs?

Can these other companies properly rebuild your shoes for $150?

Seriously interested. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NavyIS2:
https://helmboots.com/collections/shop
View Quote
Nice find, haven't heard of these guys. Made in USA boots.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DOW:

Nice find, haven't heard of these guys. Made in USA boots.
View Quote
HELM is just a marketing brand...they're actually made by Rancourt. Still US made, just saying what I found when I looked into them.    
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:45:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Things I will never ever do in my life.

Listen to Arf GD for clothing advice.

Maybe to select the perfect 3 wolfs shirt but nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:55:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Stasher1:

Cowboy boots are not office attire. It might be a common look in Texas, but you'll look ridiculous just about anywhere else in the country.
View Quote
From Central California myself.

Pretty common to see people "dressed up" and wearing cowboy boots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in a primarily business casual office environment. On Fridays I tend to wear my Justin Melo Veal Ropers. They work well in the office for a more casual Friday and work just as well for occasional trips to the field- especially with a nearly indestructible nitrile sole.

http://www.sheplers.com/justin-melo-veal-leather-roper-boots---round-toe/028095.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Russell Moccasin Co. makes custom shoes and boots. They're expensive to buy, but a bargain in the long run. If/when the soles wear out, you can have Russell replace them. I have four pairs of Russell, and have come to the conclusion that will a minimum of care, the uppers will never wear out. At least not before I do.

One of their models is a chukka called the "Convention Walker". They're made specifically for standing and walking indoors on hard floors. Lightweight, with a springy kind of sole and a leather that breathes really well. They have a good outdoorsy/casual look, they go on and off much more easily than a boot, and they're as comfortable as socks. I've done those death-marches through airport customs thinking, "Wow, these shoes are really comfortable!"

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/russell-short-premier-convention-walker/
View Quote
Update on these shoes: after quite a lot of wear, a seam separated. I emailed a pic to Russell, and they responded that they could probably hand-sew it for a reasonable price. I sent them in, and got a bill for a hundred bucks. I thought that was pretty steep, but paid it without comment.

Just got my shoes back. The didn't just repair the seam, they replaced the soles, insoles, and laces, and cleaned and oiled the uppers. They look almost new.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]
$100 for a complete overhaul sounds pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:36:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#19]
Originally Posted By LV1976:
$100 for a complete overhaul sounds pretty good.
View Quote
I'm about to send them back to be resoled and "overhauled" a second time. I'd much rather buy custom-made every couple decades than lesser shoes every couple years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

Monk strap? And you think cowboy boots would make you look ridiculous
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

Monk strap? And you think cowboy boots would make you look ridiculous

Not knowing what they were I went to the interwebz, here’s what it say…

Casually, monk straps can be worn with a crisp pair of blue jeans. The look is gorgeous. You can wear several types of shirts with it ranging from tees to dress shirts. Throw on a blazer or jacket if its cold outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#21]
My vote, however, is desert boots. Yeah, desert boots.

They’re what I grew up in!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#22]
How many times does OP have to clearly state he's not getting cowboy boots before people stop arguing about cowboy boots?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By eracer:
How many times does OP have to clearly state he's not getting cowboy boots before people stop arguing about cowboy boots?
View Quote
Yeah, I mean he's been telling us for 6yrs already
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I have worn both styles and for me it was finding one that was comfortable as I do a lot of walking through our factory. Some styles are a little odd looking , but they can be both nicer dress and business casual and be just fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#25]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
cowboy boots
View Quote

FPNI, Id wear an oxford before either of your choices.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223] [#27]
GD commentary removed.
This is NOT GD~~fish223

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top