Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 4:21:25 PM EDT
I started at a new 15 bbl brewery about 7 weeks ago. New as in setting up equipment,running lines, and cleaning cleaning.
The owner was part owner of another brewery so he knows what he is doing, he just wanted to do he own thing.

So far we had made two batches. Getting ready to keg the first one this week.

I'm just starting to learn more about brewing on this scale but if you have any questions I'll try
my best to answer them.

Just thought this could be an interesting topic in the home brew forum.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Brewery name and location?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Every Marine a rifleman, every sailor a firefighter, every brewer a janitor
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brewery name and location?
View Quote

Newport Ky
Wooden Cask
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

But a glorified janitor

Really we are cleaning stuff everyday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But a glorified janitor

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But a glorified janitor

No.... I know. Trust me!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always been curious will large scale brewing in regards to dealing with the raw ingredient supply chain.

How/where do you source grains?  How is it delivered?
How do you dispose of the spent grains?
Do most commercial breweries have a lab in which they continuously cultivate their strain of yeast?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
About the grain I'm not sure,I showed up one day and it was there. I can tell you the hops get dropped off
By UPS 44 pound boxes.

A farmer picks up our spent grain. We put it in 55 gallon drums. They use it for cow feed, what I have been told.
Also a local company will pick some up from each of the local breweries to make dog treats.

We don't have a lab, we can use a local brewery for lab work. We do reuse yeast. We can get enough for 2 other brews
from one fermenter. Have to keep track of the generation of the yeast.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've always been curious will large scale brewing in regards to dealing with the raw ingredient supply chain.

How/where do you source grains?  How is it delivered?
How do you dispose of the spent grains?
Do most commercial breweries have a lab in which they continuously cultivate their strain of yeast?
View Quote

I don't have widespread knowledge, but grain is typically sourced from a commercial maltster, and delivered in 50# bags, super sacks, or bulk silo.

Spent grain is almost entirely picked up by a local farm for animal feed.

Labs are expensive, so you have to be pretty big to own an effective one. Most times yeast is purchased from a commercial yeast bank (or lab), and propagated up to a pitchable quantity in-house. After that it can be recovered and reused from fermentations for a number of generations. This really depends on what styles are being produced, and how much you are stressing out your yeast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top