Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 3:23:26 PM EDT

Getting back into home brew and needing to get new brew pots and kettles.  Since starting up again, I have started 2 extract batches (but I did all grain in the past)

So many options - Currently considering a keggle (found a cheep single weld), 10 gallon igloo, and 10 gallon pot (I found a single weld for $80) or a 5 gallon igloo (filled from the

kettle and lifted ).

Flip side, could just go with 3 15gallon weldless concord pots (even splurge and get the 3ply bottoms.  There are +/- associated with going weldless.  

Anyway, wasting time overthinking this when I should be working on the keezer.  Doing an all grain without drinking a home brew is just wrong.

---

Any hints will help.  Any advantage/disadvantage of the keegle over a like size brewing kettle?  I understand the advantage of the igloo is cheep temp retention, disadvantage is theoretical leaching.  Likewise on the top pot, can get a better pot, or get weldless...

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Getting back into home brew and needing to get new brew pots and kettles.  Since starting up again, I have started 2 extract batches (but I did all grain in the past)

So many options - Currently considering a keggle (found a cheep single weld), 10 gallon igloo, and 10 gallon pot (I found a single weld for $80) or a 5 gallon igloo (filled from the
kettle and lifted ).

Flip side, could just go with 3 15gallon weldless concord pots (even splurge and get the 3ply bottoms.  There are +/- associated with going weldless.  

Anyway, wasting time overthinking this when I should be working on the keezer.  Doing an all grain without drinking a home brew is just wrong.
---
Any hints will help.  Any advantage/disadvantage of the keegle over a like size brewing kettle?  I understand the advantage of the igloo is cheep temp retention, disadvantage is theoretical leaching.  Likewise on the top pot, can get a better pot, or get weldless...

View Quote

I'm really confused by this post.  I assume you are looking for equipment for all grain?  

If so, I would go for a 15 gallon kettle or keggle and a 10 gallon Igloo (for 5-10 gallon batches).  You may max out the cooler on some 10 gallons batches, but it should work for 90% of brews.  
Going for 3 kettles would require a multi-burner set up to keep the mash the right temps.

Hopefully I was a bit helpful.  

Also, look at AIH for the pots.  I am a little biased, but their 15 gallon 1 weld pot has been excellent and is inexpensive.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, expect to do all grain again.  Been researching to death benefits of keegles, welded kettles, weldless kettles, igloos, etc...

Editing for posterity:

The answer was almost always other than cost.  

Other than cost, SS is better than aluminum-less issues with oxidation and corrosion.  Aluminum is ok if you avoide messing up the oxidation layer, and don't use it without the oxidation layer.  Too much trouble, stainless wins.

Same went for kettle versus Keegel.  Keegel has a smaller opening on top, and bottom band creates a heat sink during cool down. They do look cooler.  

Cooler versus  SS mash tun and HLT:  Insulation versus extended life, no warping, no leaching, and ability to add additional bulkheads latter.  Cooler is cheaper.    I will be insulating my stainless.  

Weld versus weldless:   Unless the weld fails, weld will have less leak problems.  Poor welding can introduce impurities in the metal, and pinhole issues.  I would say weld is always better, but several high end companies use weldless.  Flip side is weldless is generals a lower initial cost and easier upgrade path.  I went weldless, although Northern Brewer welded would have been cheaper.

Clad or not:  clad will be thicker and distribute heat better.  Single walled is cheaper.  

I went with concord clad 15 gallon kettle (boil over insurance, some 10 gallon capacity, works great with 5 gallon batches), 10 gallon mash tun (better shape for 5 gallon mash than 15 gallon pot, still can do medium to small 10 gallon mashes), and a 10 gallon HLT (smallest clad they sell, might be large enough for 10 gallon batches).   Like brewhardware's line of true bulkheads, but they are largely out of stock at the moment.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Will probably update this post a few times.  Hardware is slowly arriving.  Drilled out my false bottom today.  Waiting on a greenlee punch to attach the fittings to the brew kettle, mash tun and HLT, and punch a hole in the false bottom for the pickup tube (side pickup tube).

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I went eBIAB and really like it.  Brew Boss setup was expensive but I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I have 7lbs of malt in the dehydrator and the last of my fittings arrived today.  Soon...  I need to knock out 2 more holes, then plumb the immersion chiller to a water pump.  Pumping ice water is not as fast as a counterflow chiller, but a lot less complicated.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]
It uses a good bit of water but I was really amazed at how well the counter flow chillers work.  Definitely use the pumps any chance you get. I feel that it really makes the process better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top