User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried any of the Speedway variants? Vietnamese Coffee Speedway is my all time favorite beer!
View Quote

I've heard that the VN coffee version is almost a life-altering experience but haven't found it yet.  The only other Speedway variant I've tried is the 2013 Decadence further up in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a imperial that has a lot of chocolate taste to it, it still drinks pretty smooth. I picked it up yesterday and knew it wouldn't last 24 hours in the fridge. Brooklyn black chocolate stout.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've heard that the VN coffee version is almost a life-altering experience but haven't found it yet.  The only other Speedway variant I've tried is the 2013 Decadence further up in this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you tried any of the Speedway variants? Vietnamese Coffee Speedway is my all time favorite beer!

Decadence and Speedway are totally separate, in fact I think the Decadence is a different beer every year. I'm pretty sure last year's was a wheat wine.

Life-altering is a great way to describe the VN Stout! They've had all kinds of variants of the Speedway Stout on tap every time I visit the tap room. I'm pretty sure I would have a drinking/spending problem at Alesmith if I lived in San Diego.

Had this one the other day, it was spectacular.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't tried it yet, but I got some Stone Xocoveza today. I didn't think I would be able to find it anywhere, so I'm psyched. I'll report back later once I've tried one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two bombers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout today!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got one bottle at the big craft beer place in my town on Black Friday. However, my favorite (and cheapest) local liquor store owner, who isn't a big beer guy, said he was going to get some today. So I stopped in a bit ago and he said "sorry man, we got a whole case but it was marked 2014 so I sent it back".

I thought he was joking at first but alas he was serious.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I got one bottle at the big craft beer place in my town on Black Friday. However, my favorite (and cheapest) local liquor store owner, who isn't a big beer guy, said he was going to get some today. So I stopped in a bit ago and he said "sorry man, we got a whole case but it was marked 2014 so I sent it back".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Had the goose island last night. It is FANTASTIC!

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Save a bottle for a year.  Seriously.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My BIL is saving/aging 3 for us. I cant be trusted to have this stuff at my residence with the intention of staying out of it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a glass of Epic's Big Bad Baptist from the tap last night. That beer is really good.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had the goose island last night. It is FANTASTIC!

<a href="http://s991.photobucket.com/user/nickman54/media/8FD94281-C3B9-4042-A923-B03078789417_zpss1kkwt5x.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af36/nickman54/8FD94281-C3B9-4042-A923-B03078789417_zpss1kkwt5x.jpg</a>
View Quote

I am SO jealous!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Made a quick stop at the local beer store on the way home from work.  I'm thinking of trying the Avery Old Jubilation Ale tonight.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Made a quick stop at the local beer store on the way home from work.  I'm thinking of trying the Avery Old Jubilation Ale tonight.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=83088
View Quote

Loves me the QUAD!

No can find here so far

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright fellas, I went for the winter ale...  Tonight I offer you Avery Brewing Co. Old Jubilation Ale!

According to the brewer's website, this is an 8.3% ABV English Old Ale.  The can claims tastes of hazelnut, mocha and toffee.  I'm not tasting much mocha or hazelnut, but getting a thick-ish, super-malty flavor with a hint of toffee.  Its very drinkable, with a soft carbonation.  Color is kind of a caramel, not too dark.  Thin/small head.  This is super drinkable and very tasty, I am a big fan of this brew!!  

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
This evening I'm sipping on a seasonal from a local brewery that's a little less than an hour away from me...

Weyerbacher Quad

This is an 11.8% ABV "Belgian-Style Quadrupel Ale" that's released each winter.  Its a translucent brown color with little head.  Aroma and taste are similar with some banana and cloves.  The taste is also quite malty and leaves a slight pepper aftertaste.  Its a "dry" feel, like a dry wine.  Its a little bit rich and syrupy, but not unlike other quads I've had.  Its pretty smooth drinking, I give it two thumbs up!

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]

First time finding it and pretty excited after reading some responses...Super crisp and good flavor, a little soapy towards the end. I really like it as an IPA, but I really wanted some more of the dry hoppy flavor that I was hoping for...I would really like to drink some more, but for the price, Ill have to pass. Seriously for what it costs up here, I just don't see it happening. Really liked it as a brew, but I'm not planning on getting anymore.

I really try not to be biased, but this is my true go to IPA...I actually prefer a super hoppy, bitter IPA. I have never had a batch that gives me that soapy after taste....I will say that there is a big difference from right out of the can vs. a poured mug. I prefer out of the can. The first half of a mug doesn't  give it dues...We usually have a couple 4 packs around when we head up camping and this is the first time in a mug.

FYI...So glad ya started this thread.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, a new post!  

Coincidentally, I scored a 4-pak of these on the way home from dinner tonight:

At dinner tonight, I had two beers but no pics:

Founder's Imperial Stout - first time for me, I usually have their Breakfast Stout as its pretty common.  The Imperial is obviously stronger at 10.5% ABV and was good, definitely enjoyed it.  Smoooth...  I like more than Breakfast Stout, for sure.

Troegs Chocolate Stout - In typical Troegs fashion, at least for my palate, this was light and smooth, very easy drinking.  Its 7.1% ABV and drinks like chocolate milk.  It was enjoyable but lacked any kind of depth of flavors.  It could be fantastic if it had something else going on in there...

I may have another of something tonight, but the wife had some manhattans at dinner so I may be a little tied up...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Enjoying a Karbach BBH with The Walking Dead.

Barrel-aged imperial porter, pretty popular in Texas.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:08:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Cool can.. awesome IPA.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
So, how is the TWEAK?

I have a couple bottles in my Cellar right now, but I can get them just about anywhere right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, how is the TWEAK?

I have a couple bottles in my Cellar right now, but I can get them just about anywhere right now.
View Quote

Funny you should ask!  Tonight, I cracked one open...

Tonight I offer you all Avery Brewing Company's Tweak!  (South Park fans, rejoice!)

According to the bottle of this exquisite alcohol bomb, this is a "Stout with coffee added, aged in bourbon barrels."  It clocks in at 17.5% ABV and pours jet black.  According to their website, this was aged 4 months in those barrels.  This bottle is stamped 1/25/16, so its very fresh and intense.

I didn't get within 6 inches of the glass and was hit with the alcohol, coffee and slightly sweet bourbon aromas.  First impression: , this is a concentrated little bomb of goodness.    Aroma and taste were similar for me, and followed that order:  this is a deep and roasty coffee stout, with no bitterness present at all, but clearly says you need your big boy pants on to drink it.  Its quite strong in the nose, as if some crazed janitor in the brewery poured a hundred gallons of espresso into every keg as he cackled out loud.  Avery's website uses the word "immense" to describe it, I'd say that's spot-on.  The sweetness from the barrel aging isn't overwhelming, but just a hair too strong at this point for me.  (and I mean just a tiny little bit)  With some bottle aging, I'm betting this is going to mellow out just that tiny little bit more and become a truly zen experience.

My wife gave me the stink-eye when I picked these up at $19 a piece, and I was a little apprehensive, but definitely no ragrets...    Enjoy!

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I get those for $12 at Avery- or a place in Denver has them on sale for $9.99. Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Greetings brew lovers!  I picked up a few new things this weekend at my local craft store and thought I would give this little gem a try:

AleSmith Decadence 2015 Anniversary Ale

This year's concoction is a "Belgian-Style Amber" and clocks in at 10% ABV.  Online reviews report tastes of caramel and candy/sugar but I'm not getting that.  I get an alcohol taste followed by a banana bread/shortbread cookie kind of flavor.  Overall fairly light flavors.  Smells like a Belgian brew, for sure.  Its tasty, though I wonder if this really needs to age a while longer.  Tons of sediment/yeast suspended in the beer, see that last pic with the backlighting.  I'm middle of the road on this one, though it seems to a lot of potential for aging.  

Prost!  

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I broke open a bourbon county tonight with my brother. Fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
some of my recent scores:

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#29]
A good Saturday evening to you all!  Tonight I offer you one of my best friend's favorite brews:

21st Amendment Brewing Monk's Blood

The can says, well, it has an awful lot written on it...    The important part is that it says this is a Belgian-style dark ale brewed with cinnamon, vanilla, oak chips and dried figs and is rated at 8.3% ABV.

Its dark red in color.  No real head forms though it is a little bubbly.  Smells a little bit yeasty, alcohol and maybe some grape/raisin fruitiness, but that part is very subtle.  Taste has got some vanilla, that Belgian yeast flavor and a little booziness.  Not picking up the cinnamon at all.  It finishes dry, like a very dry wine.  Kind of get that grape flavor again in the aftertaste.  Its smooth and easy to drink.  I like it, but I wish some flavor would dominate more than what's there.  The figs sounded intriguing, would love to taste more of that!  Overall its good, though.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#30]
After an amazingly nice Sunday, kicking back with something sweet:  Omnipollo's Pecan Mud.

This is an imperial stout with pecans.  Aroma is sweet and quite strong, very much like a sweet and sticky pecan pie.  Its jet black with no head.  Taste is sweet and caramel-like, with that pecan nuttiness lingering.  There's also some familiar, slightly bitter coffee flavor in there.  This is kind of a rich beer, a sipper for sure.  I'm in a mellow, slow southern pecan pie on the porch kinda mood so I'm diggin' it right now.  The picture on the bottle is quite well-chosen...  

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#31]
What a glorious Sunday afternoon!  I'm preparing to cook some burgers and brats on the grill later, so I thought I would try a new-to-me variation of Yeti.

Great Divide Brewing's Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Mighty fine, mighty fine!  A lighter and easier-drinking version of the Yeti stout that still retains a good amount of that sticky/chewy heavy stout quality I love so much.  Its "aged on oak chips with cocoa nibs and spice added."  According to the bottle, the spice is a dash of cayenne pepper.  Also according to the bottle, they were going for the taste of a gourmet chocolate bar here.  I don't get a strong enough chocolate aroma or taste to say they've hit their mark, but its really good.  Mouth feel on this one is a bit on the bubbly/carbonated side, so that's probably what makes me think its "lighter" than the original Yeti.  I can sort of detect a hint of the pepper in the aftertaste, but its very faint.  The oak comes through along with a very slight chocolate bitters taste as well.  Its 9.5% ABV with a slight alcohol warmth to it.

If I were in the mood for a meaty stout, this would not be my first choice.  However, when the mood to sip on a hearty and easy-going - but still substantial - stout, this is A-OK in my book!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top