Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 8:13:18 PM EDT
I have a bunch of old grains I have left over from an all grain I did last year. They weren't moldy, but they definitely smelled old.

So I brewed em up.

6 cups of Rahr 2 row, a cup of English crystal and a cup of Tom Fawcett chocolate into about 1.5 gallons of water. I usually use LME but  lacking that, I threw a tablespoon of table sugar in it.

Boiled for 60 minutes. No hops. Why? Didn't have any.

Made a yeast starter...ok not really. I used the yeast from the brew I just racked into the secondary, and threw a pack of bread yeast in for good measure. Yes. Bread yeast. I should mention I'm doing this in a one gallon carboy too.

Cooled it in a sink full of ice water. Poured the half gallon worth of wort into the carboy at about 90* or so and managed to get a bit of sink water into the bottle in the process (fuck!)

Tossed in more sugar and gave that sumbitch a good shake.

The carboy I'm using has a bung somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. So  instead I grabbed a piece of plastic wrap, folded it over a bunch and rubber banded that thing tight, poked a small hole in the top and popped in an airlock.

This was about 3 hours ago, and the yeast seem to be pretty happy about life right now.

Not gonna lie. I have no illusions this is going to turn out badly. But I had old shit laying around and I was bored waiting for my cat to take a piss so I could collect it and get it to the vets. Poor critter may have diabetes .

Edit: Oh yea, nothing was sterilized either
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bread yeast is a super attenuator, like down to 0.008! I'm guessing it will just taste like slightly sour bread and yeast.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
With no hops I think you'll get some sweetness coming through.

It sounds like you made a shitty yeast starter that you are going to drink.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Eh I'm probably not going to drink it. I was bored and needed to kill time. The rest of the grain is probably going to get tossed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
distill it. j/k
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I know this is a tech forum, but you home brewers seem a fairly jolly bunch, so...

Are you reporting from inside a prison camp?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know this is a tech forum, but you home brewers seem a fairly jolly bunch, so...

View Quote

Hmmm...wonder if "waiting for cat to take a piss" is  prison code for something.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you even bother taking an OG reading?  I'm curious what 8 cups of grain in a gallon yields.

If not for the bread yeast, I think it might have been drinkable.  With bread yeast, all bets are off.

I'm betting you either get thin molasses or really thin bagels.

Go boldly into that dark glass, OP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you even bother taking an OG reading?  I'm curious what 8 cups of grain in a gallon yields. <-- Half gallon of wort. No OG taken

If not for the bread yeast, I think it might have been drinkable.  With bread yeast, all bets are off.

I'm betting you either get thin molasses or really thin bagels.

Go boldly into that dark glass, OP.
View Quote

It's gonna suck, i know
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hmmm...wonder if "waiting for cat to take a piss" is  prison code for something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I had to collect cat piss for the vet. Critter might be diabetic. She keeps puking everything up lately though...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Why did u add bread yeast? Might been interesting without it now it's just guaranteed to suck. Throw some fruit in there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Eh I'm probably not going to drink it. I was bored and needed to kill time. The rest of the grain is probably going to get tossed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's not an option.

You need to bottle and carb that shit and then give us tasting notes from it
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well.....alright....

It actually doesn't taste bad. Definitely a porter. Kinda sweet. I don't think the sink water fucked it up, despite there being old chunks of strainer shit floating in it.... I'll stick it in a bottle and let yall know whats up in a few days.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

well.....alright....

It actually doesn't taste bad. Definitely a porter. Kinda sweet. I don't think the sink water fucked it up, despite there being old chunks of strainer shit floating in it.... I'll stick it in a bottle and let yall know whats up in a few days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well.....alright....

send me a growler/bomber/bottle? ill pay for shipping
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top