Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 2:28:37 PM EDT
I brewed a wheat beer towards the end of last summer (2014). I've been busy, then too lazy, then lost interest and have not done anything with it. It has been in my beer fridge in the carboy with airlock since August (fridge has been set at 40 degrees +/- since fermentation was finished).
I'm gonna siphon a little bit out and bottle tonight. Let it carb for a while and see how it tastes. Any bets on if I'll die or not?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Was there still enough water in the airlock to keep it sealed? Any pellicle on top of the beer?
If all those check out, I'll bet its fine. It might not be the tastiest thing ever, but maybe it will. Its proabaly going to be very clear for sitting that long....
Did you put it in the fridge in primary or secondary? If its still sitting on the yeast cake, you will probably get a litle autolysis flavor...

Who knows. Might be an awesome beer. Its been lagered a long time!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I tasted it while bottling a few. Kinda off taste, but I'm hoping it was in my head. I can't really put my finger on it (I only had a couple of sips).
I have a Johnson controls temp controller on the fridge- I fermented at 68-68 degrees, but took the controller off once it was done, and it's been at 40 +/- since.
There was some junk floating on top - but it didn't look 'infected'. Still stilling on the yeast cake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Decant some then taste it.

Really if it is bad you will know it but you have to isloate it from the fermenter to get a good nose.

If you car kegging just rack it and carb it up. then pour you a glass.

edit;
If it is bubble-gummy it is bad- Wheats can have that flovor profile due to the yeast but it shouldn't be in your face. If the beer is still looking like it has activity then it may be infected. check you air lock and look for bubbles. One or two every few minues isn't a big deal but bubbles every few seconds indicate activity but good or bad? You will need to pull a good sample. Rack about a pint off and give it a good going over.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Sitting that long and cold will he still have enough live yeast in suspension for bottle carbing?

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
No pics, but I tasted it this weekend. Horrible. No carbonation (I guess all yeast died), and it tasted a little sour - must have been infected. I dumped it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Bummer. At least you know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top