Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 5:21:31 PM EDT
I was at Academy and they had the MrBeer refill kits for $6 a piece.
Now i do home brew and thought what the heck and will give these 2 gallon refills
a shot.
First thing I notice is 3.7 abv which is a little lighter than what I am used to.
Then the next thing is there is no boiling of the water with the extract.

How good does these kits do? I plan on doing it the old fashion way and boil it for 1 hr.
Or should I follow the directions?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Now i do home brew and thought what the heck and will give these 2 gallon refills

a shot.

First thing I notice is 3.7 abv which is a little lighter than what I am used to.

How good does these kits do? I plan on doing it the old fashion way and boil it for 1 hr.

View Quote
theres no boiling because its hopped malt extract.

i made a damn good porter with mr beer black tower porter and some specialty grains and aroma hops.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i made a damn good porter with mr beer black tower porter and some specialty grains and aroma hops adding ingredients and doing beer the way it is supposed to be done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a shot.

i made a damn good porter with mr beer black tower porter and some specialty grains and aroma hops adding ingredients and doing beer the way it is supposed to be done.

Fixed

The Mr Beer kits are flavored extract. They make beer. But they don't make great beer. It is a start.

Levels of brewing
Flavored extract
Extract
Extract with specialty grains/Partial Mash
All grain

All make beer. Extract only can make some damn good beer. But flavored extract kits like mr beer are meh in my experience. Every friend who got one and shared it with me was disappointing. Even they were not thrilled with their beer. Then I offer my equipment and we do a random extract with specialty grains kit and next thing they know they are planning their next brew and buying equipment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fixed

The Mr Beer kits are flavored extract. They make beer. But they don't make great beer. It is a start.

Levels of brewing

Flavored extract

Extract

All grain

All make beer. Extract only can make some damn good beer. But flavored extract kits like mr beer are meh in my experience. Every friend who got one and shared it with me was disappointing. Even they were not thrilled with their beer. Then I offer my equipment and we do a random extract with specialty grains kit and next thing they know they are planning their next brew and buying equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a shot.

Fixed

Levels of brewing

Flavored extract

Extract

All grain

if you tasted it you wouldnt have known it was mr. beer

my mr beer keg is now a small batch brew vessel and will be the bottler for my mead

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Give them as gifts to try to lure unsuspecting people into home brewing. Mr. beer is the gateway drug.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Give them as gifts to try to lure unsuspecting people into home brewing. Mr. beer is the gateway drug.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

yep.  i started with mr beer.  after 2 brews in that.. i went to a 5 gallon extract setup..  now im likely going to be converting a coooler to be an all grain tun.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yep.  i started with mr beer.  after 2 brews in that.. i went to a 5 gallon extract setup..  now im likely going to be converting a coooler to be an all grain tun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

It is indeed a slippery slope. I started with a hopped canned liquid malt extract kit and ended up with a double sided reach-in 20+ kegs, fermentation vessels for 24 gallons, plate chiller, keggles, grain mill, buying buying 50lb sacks of grain, and whole hops by the lb.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've started building a 10-gal batch size electric all grain setup.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top