Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2014 10:53:54 PM EDT
I'm finally getting off my lazy ass to build up a large chest freezer I aquired last year to replace my smaller one. I'm going to build out a 4 tap system and I'm debating on a 2x4 collar over a 2x6; I have 2x4's laying around but a 2x6 would give me plenty of room to mount my distributor and route the lines so I'm leaning that way. Likely I'll 'pretty' it up on the front and sides with a 1x8 in oak or cherry.

Just looking for some ideas here....
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Click over to homebrewtalk.com and the DIY section. Tons of ideas and pics. Personally I would use 2x6 or 2x8 for the collar.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Click over to homebrewtalk.com and the DIY section. Tons of ideas and pics. Personally I would use 2x6 or 2x8 for the collar.
View Quote

Yeah, I've browsed that forum and there are some really nice setups. I'm not going for anything fancy but will put a drip-tray, I'm leaning towards a 2x6 collar but may check out a 2x8 as it'll ive me more head-space.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I've browsed that forum and there are some really nice setups. I'm not going for anything fancy but will put a drip-tray, I'm leaning towards a 2x6 collar but may check out a 2x8 as it'll ive me more head-space.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check the layout of your hinges on the rear of the lid. That will dictate what collar you can use. The way the hinges on my laid out I had to use 2x8's, which was kind of nice. Gave me more room to stuff hoses, regulators and bottles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 2:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Check the layout of your hinges on the rear of the lid. That will dictate what collar you can use. The way the hinges on my laid out I had to use 2x8's, which was kind of nice. Gave me more room to stuff hoses, regulators and bottles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at the hinges, a 2x8 shouldn't be an issue as they're long and have several mounts points. Almost as if people at Fridgidare knew the intention. Has anyone used foam board behind the collar for insulation?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't have to be crazy expensive to look good. Mine's just a Kenmore 8.8cf, with a 1x8 collar and 1 inch foam board behind that. Some 3 dollar cabinet handles attached to the top, and a drywall mud pan for a drip tray on magnets. I also got a set of factory replacement hinges, and then attached the collar to the freezer hinges, then the lid to the collar with the extras. When my next kegerator is done, I can unbolt the collar, and the whole freezer will be back to stock.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I need to add faucets still but here it is

holds 4 converted pin lock kegs with a 20lb exterior co2 tank
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my kegerator so far. It's a work in progress, but I should have it 100% complete on Monday. Finally got the rest of my hardware ordered.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's what it currently looks like.  I've got plenty more to do to it unfortunately.  Plan on adding a 12"x24" stainless steel drip tray (wall mount) to cover my previous holes in the collar.  Still waiting on Guinness in the 1/6 barrel before I buy a nitro tank & regulator.  Need to add 2 more secondary regulators to my bank, as things have changed since I began this journey last March.  Got tired of reaching over a tall collar and or hitting the faucets open and losing the nectar of the gods, so last weekend my buddy helped me put the shanks through the lid.  Right now I can fit 3 on the floor and 1 on the compressor hump inside, which was the reason I went with a tall collar.  I currently only have 1 beer on, and 1 corny keg that I got yesterday, trying to make fizzy water for my wife.

The plan is 1 beer on nitro (likely Guinness or local beers).  2 beers on CO2 and water for my wife.  The faucet on the side of the keezer currently has water and that's the main plan.  The front will be beer only.  Just polished off a Sierra Nevada Narwhal and a Moose Drool, currently have Lost Coast Downtown Brown pouring.  In the near future, I'll only have 1 CO2 tank & 1 Nitro tank in the back (Built on a shelf attached to the collar).

Had I to do over again, I would have put the shanks through the lid first.  That or just bought a commercial setup which is an actual fridge, not convert a $50 craigslist chest freezer.  The other option would be a traditional keggerator and use the upper freezer compartment for cold glasses & liquor storage, just keeping the beer inside.  Dream option, will be running a walk-in cooler built into a closet or pantry with beer lines & faucets coming in through a wall or counter top.

Oh, and I don't brew, I just buy commercial kegs from the distributor.

Ok, I'll quit rambling.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top