Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:45:44 AM EDT
So, I was indulging in the recent release of some "Good Eat's" episodes and came across AB's ginger ale recipe. I't looked good, so I went and got some ginger and put a batch together.

All I did was put everything in a growler for a couple days to ferment.

This is what came out. So simple it was mind blowing.

Now, it should be known that I love ginger ale and just about anything to do with ginger, but my god, it was good!

This of course led me to think (and get on amazon and maybe order a few things) about brewing some ginger beer.

So, the question is who's done it and how. What are some tips, suggestions, cautions, etc...  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks awesome

So what's the recipe?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Guess I could have included that!

· 1 1/2 ounces finely grated fresh ginger

· 6 ounces sugar

· 7 1/2 cups filtered water

· 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast

· 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions

Place the ginger, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the water into a 2-quartsaucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to steep for 1 hour.

Pour the syrup through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl, pressing down to get all of the juice out of the mixture. Chill quickly by placing over and ice bath and stirring or set in the refrigerator, uncovered, until at least room temperature, 68 to 72 degrees F.

Using a funnel, pour the syrup into a clean 2-liter plastic bottle and add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups of water. Place the cap on the bottle, gently shake to combine and leave the bottle at room temperature for 48 hours. Open and check for desired amount of carbonation. It is important that once you achieve your desired amount of carbonation that you refrigerate the ginger ale.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top