Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:21:08 PM EDT
Damn, just pulled the first pint on a Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo IPA I came up with. Damn it's great. The nose on this bastard is crazy.
No pics yet, the first glass was mostly hop sediment since it was only kegged on Sunday, I'll update when it's fully carbed and presentable.

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested.

Type: All Grain  
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
1 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.0 %

1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 33.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 11.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Add @ 180 Degrees on chill Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated US-05 once I got my wort down to 68, and fermented at 68 for 7 days.  I then ramped up to 70 for 7 days.
Transfer to keg and dry hop with 2oz of Simcoe and 2oz of Amarillo.

It's only 2 days in the keg at 15psi, and I can't stop "testing" it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I am with you on fruity, juicy IPA's.  In fact they are really the only type of IPA that I like.

That recipe looks good, although you really cant go wrong with lots of citra, simcoe, and amarillo.

Get that thing carbed up and drink it!  IPA's don't get better the longer they sit, plus then you can make more.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the looks of that IPA. I love some citra.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am with you on fruity, juicy IPA's.  In fact they are really the only type of IPA that I like.

That recipe looks good, although you really cant go wrong with lots of citra, simcoe, and amarillo.

Get that thing carbed up and drink it!  IPA's don't get better the longer they sit, plus then you can make more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are my favorite hops, IPA wise for sure.  I think my keezer took a dump last night, temp control said 64 degrees this morning when I walked by....I unplugged everything to defrost it just incase it was frosted.
If not, I am off to Lowes to pick up a bigger one so I can have more than 3 keg capacity. So it's kind of a win-win.

Quoted:
I really like the looks of that IPA. I love some citra.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Me too.  Last time I made it with Citra dry hop as well.  Somehow I used up all my Citra so I decided on Simcoe and Amarillo this time.  
I need to buy some more bulk packs from Farm House brew supply and get my stock back up.

Don't tell anyone, but it is basically a Dogfish 60 recipe with a little carapils thrown in and a different hop schedule.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I brewed a Zombie Dust clone that used a ton of citra.

One of the best things ive brewed.

I like the bright fruity IPA's, but the overly fruited, pineapple flavors I dont care as much for. I dont know how to describe it better. Brew Dogs Punk IPA tastes like that. Not my thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of fruity IPA's, I had a raspberry IPA in Leesburg, VA that was outstanding from a little brew pub.

Not heavy on the raspberry but just enuf that you knew it was in the mix.

Asked the brewer for the recipe and he had zero issue giving it to me. Will be brewing it around spring time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Speaking of fruity IPA's, I had a raspberry IPA in Leesburg, VA that was outstanding from a little brew pub.

Asked the brewer for the recipe and he had zero issue giving it to me. Will be brewing it around spring time.
View Quote

And that raspberry IPA recipe would be what??? What was the brewery? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Method:All Grain
Style:Fruit Beer
Boil Time:60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Fermentables:

9 lb American - Pilsner

3 lb American - Vienna

1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 10L

0.5 lb German - Carafa III

Hops:

0.8 oz Warrior Pellet
Boil 60 min

3 oz Centennial Pellet
Boil 2 min

3 oz Centennial Pellet
Dry Hop 4 days

Other Ingredients:

9 oz Raspberries
Primary

Yeast:

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Fermentation Temp:
70 °F

Brewery is called Crooked Run. Right beside the Tuscarora Mill restaurant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top