Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2014 10:56:43 PM EDT
So, I am getting ready to bottle up my Barleywine, and have some noob questions - all my other beers have been kegged.

1.  I have Table Sugar and DME.  The calculator I used has values for both.  Any advantage using one instead of the other?  Which of the two would you recommend?  Would you recommend something else?

2.  The beer has been sitting in secondary for about 3 months now, should I add any yeast before I bottle, or is the little amount of yeast still in suspension enough?  Other posts I have seen range from "Meh, can't hurt" to "Yes" and "No need".  The yeast I am thinking about adding is US-05.

3.  It's FG is about 1.020.  Any need to factor the residual sugars into the priming sugar equation?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I am getting ready to bottle up my Barleywine, and have some noob questions - all my other beers have been kegged.

1.  I have Table Sugar and DME.  The calculator I used has values for both.  Any advantage using one instead of the other?  Which of the two would you recommend?  Would you recommend something else?

2.  The beer has been sitting in secondary for about 3 months now, should I add any yeast before I bottle, or is the little amount of yeast still in suspension enough?  Other posts I have seen range from "Meh, can't hurt" to "Yes" and "No need".  The yeast I am thinking about adding is US-05.

3.  It's FG is about 1.020.  Any need to factor the residual sugars into the priming sugar equation?

Thanks!
View Quote

If your ABV is over 8-9% (I assume it is on a barleywine) and it has been sitting for 3 months, I would definitely add some US-05 for bottling.  I have heard good things about DME priming, and have also heard it doesn't matter at all, and that table sugar works faster/easier.  So its your call on that one, I doubt it makes too much difference either way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top