Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 9:07:32 PM EDT
Just thinking of throwing together a quick gallon of JAO, but I'm all out of 1 Step sanitizer.
Just wonder how important santizing is with a rough hooch style wine like this?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of fermenter? If it is a glass jug, you could boil some water in it, dump it out and then use saran wrap to seal it up until it cools. That should kill all the critters until you dump the honey in.

Honey is a natural antibacterial so it should be fine by itself until the yeast gains a foot hold. Then the yeast will take the watch until there is alcohol. then the alcohol will keep the beasties at bay.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of fermenter? If it is a glass jug, you could boil some water in it, dump it out and then use saran wrap to seal it up until it cools. That should kill all the critters until you dump the honey in.

Honey is a natural antibacterial so it should be fine by itself until the yeast gains a foot hold. Then the yeast will take the watch until there is alcohol. then the alcohol will keep the beasties at bay.
View Quote

Thats probably what I would do, also.

When I make JAOM, the only sanitization I've done is on the fermenter.  The other ingredients I've just tossed in (but washed the orange rinds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about boiling water in a glass jug, you guys might want to re-think that...(unless you are talking about completely immersion boiling a little 1 gallon jug or something in a big pot-like canning)
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not sure about boiling water in a glass jug, you guys might want to re-think that...(unless you are talking about completely immersion boiling a little 1 gallon jug or something in a big pot-like canning)
View Quote

Yessir, immersion.

I have boiled water in an erlenmeyer flask but they are made to take that heat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Household bleach(cheap stuff no scented stuff) cut 50%-75% or so pour it in swish it around and rinse well. Been using it for years and never had a problem. Just dont get it on your clothes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Household bleach(
View Quote
how do you not taste that crap?

I know 2 people that tried it, their end result was crap

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Starsan is all i use for sanitizing
One bottle of that will sanitize a lot of fermentors
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top