Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2014 8:55:29 AM EDT
So I think I go a bad batch.

"Easy" cream ale for the summer.

brew normal, Fermented normal, took a sample, it feels "thick" (mouthfeel) but "sweeter" if you want to call it that, a bit darker than previous, maybe more "fruity"

I can't see it because its in a ss keg, so all I have is taste/feel from sample.

Is that what a lambic tatse like?

Should I toss it or just let it sit for a long ass time

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Lambics have a SHARP twangy taste.

sounds like it didnt ferment all the way out to me with what you call more sweetness than the last batch.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lambics have a SHARP twangy taste.

sounds like it didnt ferment all the way out to me with what you call more sweetness than the last batch.

View Quote
No it fermented all the way out, huge starter o2, and w/n  week all the sugars were gone.

I have no idea what it could be

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a heffeweizen that turned out that way once.It was very thick in the mouth,and sweet.I had brewed this many times in the past,and it never turned out like that before.

The supplier of the LME told me that they had a bad batch,and they replaced all the ingrediants I wasted on that brew.

Never had that problem again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe fermented at too warm of temperature?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Maybe fermented at too warm of temperature?
View Quote
it was right at 66-67 degrees, just like the rest

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
What was your OG and your Final?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
how old is it?  takes a while for sour flavor to kick in.

What was mash temp?  Any chance your thermometer for that is out of calibration?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweeter and thicker make it sound like you didn't get good attenuation from your yeast. An unusual fruity flavor sounds like esters due to the fermentation temp being too high for the yeast. And if the temp was too high, the yeast could very well call it quits before it was finished, causing a high final gravity.

You pretty much already said that these things didn't happen though so could you post your recipe/procedure/numbers?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe that too high of a mash temperature will produce more non-fermentable sugars than fermentable, leaving you with a thicker & sweeter brew.  What temperature did you mash at?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
"Infected" beer has very specific flavors. Some can add up into fooling less experienced tasters into thinking its other things.

Brett tastes like....lots of things, horse blanket, wet hay, wet cardboard. It's a strong attenuator so it tends to make beer dryier.

Diacetyl (butter) is a sign of either incomplete fermentation or infection. Pediococcus is a big diacetyl former. Lacto can as well, less often though.

Byuteric acid (baby sick flavor) is a sign of infection. It happens more in wort spoilers (aerobes) then beer spoilers (anaerobes).

Ethyl Butyrate (pineapple flavor) is a metabolic precursor to byuteric acid (baby sick) and can be a slight sign of issues, by its self it's more often then not just yeast issues. As in when encountered by its self ethyl butyrate is just yeast. A High ppm of ethyl butyrate can taste like byuteric acid to some people.

Lactic acid is produced by Lacto bacillus and makes for a sour flavor. Rancid orange juice is a good descriptor.

Out side these flavors it's probably not infection. Infections usually never thicken mouthfeel outside of diacetyl's slickness. It's also not gonna make beer sweeter.

I'd bet money your yeast was pissed and kicked the bucket early.

Send me a bottle, I could tell you exactly what's wrong with it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the descriptions

I think I have some of the baby puke and maybe pineapple, lots of floaties and nasty stuff

I dumped it, sure enough it was infected.
How do you clean all that shit out? Its in a stainless 15 gallon keg.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think I have some of the baby puke and maybe pineapple, lots of floaties and nasty stuff

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outside the chemicals I have on hand I have no idea how to clean a keg.  Id tell you to soak it in hot caustic for a day or two and then nuke it with peracetic acid but I don't think those are available to home brewers. I work with chemicals that are so Kung foo it's not funny.

Our keg line goes through steps. Drain-rinse-hot caustic-rinse-pressure test-steam sterilize-fill.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"Infected" beer has very specific flavors. Some can add up into fooling less experienced tasters into thinking its other things.

Brett tastes like....lots of things, horse blanket, wet hay, wet cardboard. It's a strong attenuator so it tends to make beer dryier.

Diacetyl (butter) is a sign of either incomplete fermentation or infection. Pediococcus is a big diacetyl former. Lacto can as well, less often though.

Byuteric acid (baby sick flavor) is a sign of infection. It happens more in wort spoilers (aerobes) then beer spoilers (anaerobes).

Ethyl Butyrate (pineapple flavor) is a metabolic precursor to byuteric acid (baby sick) and can be a slight sign of issues, by its self it's more often then not just yeast issues. As in when encountered by its self ethyl butyrate is just yeast. A High ppm of ethyl butyrate can taste like byuteric acid to some people.

Lactic acid is produced by Lacto bacillus and makes for a sour flavor. Rancid orange juice is a good descriptor.

Out side these flavors it's probably not infection. Infections usually never thicken mouthfeel outside of diacetyl's slickness. It's also not gonna make beer sweeter.

View Quote
this is why we pay you the big bucks. thanks for a very informative post.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top