Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2014 10:17:52 PM EDT
My 95 year old great uncle passed away last month.  He was a big shot in the restaurant industry in the past.

As a result, he has a bunch of old booze, unopened.  Much of it was stored in the garage, and therefore subjected to frigid Illinois winters and oppressive summers.

What say you ARFCOM, quaff or dump?
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a distilled product it should be okay. If it's wine or beer it would depend on age and exposure to the elements. The only way to find out is next Friday night !
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Drink-up me Hardies, Yo Ho!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Spirits in the bottle don't age, they are essentially frozen in time at the time of bottling.

There are no known human pathogens that can survive In beer, wine, or liquor. Your fine to drink it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You definitely drink it.  Bottled liquor is inert after bottling assuming it has not been opened and the seal is intact.  No aging or changes occur.  Unfortunately that means that if you find a 20 year old bottle of whiskey, that was 12 years when it was bottled, you have a 12 year old bottle of whiskey.  Fortunately, on the other hand,.... you have whiskey.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As long as there is oxygen present.  Anaerobic bacteria can kill you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spirits in the bottle don't age, they are essentially frozen in time at the time of bottling.

There are no known human pathogens that can survive In beer, wine, or liquor. Your fine to drink it.

No.

There are no pathogenic anaerobic or aerobic bacteria that can survive in beer/wine/liquor.

Low nutrients
Alcohol content
Alpha acids (for beer)
Tannins (in wine)
Sulfites (in wine)
Co2 (in beer)
Average temps
Cold temps (in beer)
No o2

All add up to selector factors that completely inhibit growth of pathogenic organisms.

I've spent too mich class time and years in the brewing industry to not know my shit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My bad.  Sorry bud. Forgot it was you.
View Quote
That shouldn't matter. If you brew, you should have already known that.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No.

There are no pathogenic anaerobic or aerobic bacteria that can survive in beer/wine/liquor.

Low nutrients
Alcohol content
Alpha acids (for beer)
Tannins (in wine)
Sulfites (in wine)
Co2 (in beer)
Average temps
Cold temps (in beer)
No o2

All add up to selector factors that completely inhibit growth of pathogenic organisms.

I've spent too mich class time and years in the brewing industry to not know my shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Low nutrients
Alcohol content
Alpha acids (for beer)
Tannins (in wine)
Sulfites (in wine)
Co2 (in beer)
Average temps
Cold temps (in beer)
No o2

Hmmmm, maybe, but there are all kinds of harmful items that can destroy beer and wine regardless of sulfites and tannins.  It may not kill you to drink skunky beer or wine, but hydrogen sulphide will ruin your day.  Beer or wine stored improperly, or that doesn't have the character to cellar for a long time, is still bad.

(15 years in making wine here)
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hmmmm, maybe, but there are all kinds of harmful items that can destroy beer and wine regardless of sulfites and tannins.  It may not kill you to drink skunky beer or wine, but hydrogen sulphide will ruin your day.  Beer or wine stored improperly, or that doesn't have the character to cellar for a long time, is still bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Low nutrients
Alcohol content
Alpha acids (for beer)
Tannins (in wine)
Sulfites (in wine)
Co2 (in beer)
Average temps
Cold temps (in beer)
No o2

Danno's talking about pathogens, and was originally talking only about spirits. He didn't say that the beer/wine/liquor would taste good or be free of nasty chemicals, just that it wouldn't have any harmful pathogens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top