Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 8:27:37 AM EDT
Anyone here grow hops? I planted 5 rhizomes last year. Three never sprouted, and only one came back this year. If anyone here has some plants, and is willing to dig and send me 5 or 6 rhizomes, I'll gladly pay for shipping and something for your time. Cascade is the only one that came back, and I've heard it's the heartiest.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have anything to share in the ways of rhizomes but I did plant 4 hop starters from Great Lakes Hop company last year and they all produced for me. You might want to go this route as it allows you to get some yield the first year. They had a picture of a farm that had planted all starters and within the first year they hit about 75% yield. Which is pretty damn amazing considering it was a business, not a hobby.

Here is the link to http://www.greatlakeshops.com/
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ordered six plants.  Good link.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just ordered six plants.  Good link.
View Quote
Yeah I ordered late last spring because New York weather is garbage and I couldn't get them in the ground till late May/early June. I got Columbus, Spalter Select, Vojvodina and Chinook. All produced but the vojvodina got hit by japanese beetles so it was severely lacking. The plants garnered a about 6-8 ounces. Which I think 1LB is about a standard yield for a mature plant.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have anything to share in the ways of rhizomes but I did plant 4 hop starters from Great Lakes Hop company last year and they all produced for me. You might want to go this route as it allows you to get some yield the first year. They had a picture of a farm that had planted all starters and within the first year they hit about 75% yield. Which is pretty damn amazing considering it was a business, not a hobby.

Here is the link to http://www.greatlakeshops.com/
View Quote

Yea, I grow Cascade, Chinook, Nugget, and Magnum but I can't dig them up right now. We are into the non-dormant growing season now. They are hard to kill but I'm not risking it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
lotsa good info here. bought some rhizomes from halifax hops, he's got a thread or two here.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered a few plants. However, I'd still like to pick up a few rhizomes to try in a different area of the yard if anyone can dig me a few.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I am going to give it a shot this year. I hope it works
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Just ordered 8 plants from their website. I'm going to build a broke ass trellis system from black iron pipe from one of my jobsites.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top