Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2014 7:55:36 AM EDT
Im trying making wine from fruit juice
I have a 2 glass gallon jug that I filled with juice 3 cups sugar each
I mixed 1 packet yeast with water and split between the jugs and I shook them then sealed them with a balloon with a few pin prices
I read that I should have lots of bubbles and see bubbles moving after 12 hrs and I have a few bubbles on top but not much and the balloons haven't filled or even moved yet
what did i do wrong and how do I fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Need a few more details:
What type of fruit juice?
Are there any other ingredients in the juice besides pure fruit juice and water?
What yeast did you use?
Did you sanitize everything?
What temperature are the jugs in?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Used bread yeast 100 percent fruit juice no other ingredients temp is prob high 50s low 60s in the basement
Used regular yeast not fast rise
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Everything was cleaned and sanitized
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Many processed foods contain preservatives.  Preservatives are poison to the yeast.

It's not that hard to cut/mash up some fruit for this.  Or buy some organic juice.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I used regular 100 % juice from concentrate no extra ingredients
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Using bread years will probably not give you satisfactory results plus your temps seem rather low especially for bread yeast.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
What kind of temps are necessary?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many processed foods contain preservatives.  Preservatives are poison to the yeast.

It's not that hard to cut/mash up some fruit for this.  Or buy some organic juice.
View Quote

Yup. I was trying to get at what exactly is in the ingredients list on the fruit juice container. Many times they will say 100% fruit juice, yet contain preservatives that will inhibit yeast growth, as well as other microorganisms.

Does the ingredient list contain anything other than the fruit the juice is made from and/or water?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What kind of temps are necessary?
View Quote

Usually yeast like around 70F. They may still function below that, but getting much below 65F and they start to slow down. The low temps could be slowing down the yeast and that may be why you haven't seen much activity.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Juice ingredients are juice  water ascorbic acid citric acid
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Juice ingredients are juice  water ascorbic acid citric acid
View Quote

That doesn't have any preservatives that will affect yeast.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
by the time i got home today the apple wine had started but the grape wine hadn't yet
i brought them upstairs to warm to room temp 70ish
should i shake the grape one or just let it warm?

the grape looks like it is better than it was this morning but still not much activity

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, check out these 10 easy steps of making wine.
link

Hope this will help out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
also im thinking that my jugs are a little too full can i pull off the balloons and pour out some liquid without messing it up?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
well the apple was about to bubble over so poured some out and put a new balloon on it and shook it up its still working i think
i poured some grape out put some more yeast in it and shook it up
hopefully i didnt screw this up
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Well this morning they are both bubbling away so I guess its working just gotta wait now
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]
mmm prison wine
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
also im thinking that my jugs are a little too full can i pull off the balloons and pour out some liquid without messing it up?
View Quote

You actually usually want the jugs full. You want to reduce the volume of air that needs to be replaced by CO2 as the yeast ferment. The quicker the yeast can fill the empty air space at the top with CO2, the lower the chance for infection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Well the apple wine looked about to bubble over so I had to pour a little out but it seems to be cooking now
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You actually usually want the jugs full. You want to reduce the volume of air that needs to be replaced by CO2 as the yeast ferment. The quicker the yeast can fill the empty air space at the top with CO2, the lower the chance for infection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How will I know if it gets infected?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
My 5 day cider usually doesn't begin to bubble until 24 hours later. Patience is the hardest part

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you practice good sanitizing techniques, it's usually pretty rare. There are a lot of different signs that could indicate infections. Bad odors, off flavors, and things floating on the surface are a few signs, but even then can't prove an infection. I'm not worried about your wines though, they look good, although the bread yeast will impart a different flavor than what you're likely used to with wines.. It was more just for future reference.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Fruit juices really need a yeast nutrient.  Your jugs are also too full.  If fermentation were to really take off, you'd have a mess.  You also need to buy a couple airlocks.  Once fermentation stops and no more CO2 is being produced you run into the possibility of bad things being introduced to your wine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fruit juices really need a yeast nutrient.  Your jugs are also too full.  If fermentation were to really take off, you'd have a mess.  You also need to buy a couple airlocks.  Once fermentation stops and no more CO2 is being produced you run into the possibility of bad things being introduced to your wine.
View Quote

this is my first attempt if i think i will buy some more equipment if i continue making wine.
i poured some out and they both seem to be fermenting.
once the balloons deflate should i just cap the bottle and let sit for another month or so or should i siphon the wine into other bottles minus dregs and let sit?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

this is my first attempt if i think i will buy some more equipment if i continue making wine.
once the balloons deflate should i just cap the bottle and let sit for another month or so or should i siphon the wine into other bottles minus dregs and let sit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A small amount of fermentation will continue for quite a while unless you hit it with SO2 or filter it.  If you cap it before fermentation is over you will have fizzy wine at best and a wine grenade at worst.   I'd give it 2 weeks in the jugs they're in now, then I'd rack it off into another container and let it age for a couple months.  You really need to get an airlock to do that.  Oxygen is the devil after fermentation.  If you had some way to blanket it with C02 that would really help you out.  

The main keys are to keep everything sanitized that will, or could, come in contact with the wine and to exclude any and all O2.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oxygen is the devil after fermentation.  If you had some way to blanket it with C02 that would really help you out.  

The main keys are to keep everything sanitized that will, or could, come in contact with the wine and to exclude any and all O2.
View Quote

The balloon method is an outdated method. It'll work, but won't produce as good of a wine as modern airlock methods. If you have any way to blanket the wine with CO2, that will help if you rack it to a new container. Remember, CO2 is heavier than O2 and will sink. So it will sink to right on top of your wine, and if there aren't too many air currents, it'll exclude O2 from the wine.

Stutz's last point is the important one. Sanitation is absolutely key. Probably nothing has ruined more fermentation a than poor sanitation. Most other errors can be worked around or corrected, but infected batches are usually dumped out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#28]
So in two weeks siphon to another container and put an airlock on it?
Hmmmm how to put co2 on it maybe I could get a co2 container and just spray it in the other bottle before transfer?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hmmmm how to put co2 on it maybe I could get a co2 container and just spray it in the other bottle before transfer?
View Quote
If you have access to co2, you can drill a addition hole in a stopper (off to the side) and shove in a piece of tubing connected to the co2. In the original hole pull through your transfer tubing until in sits right above the trubb. Now you can pressure transfer w/o a scare of contamination.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you have access to co2, you can drill a addition hole in a stopper (off to the side) and shove in a piece of tubing connected to the co2. In the original hole pull through your transfer tubing until in sits right above the trubb. Now you can pressure transfer w/o a scare of contamination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What pressure are you running to keep it from pushing the stopper out?  I'd like to do this as I have a couple of CO2 bottles to play with.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've done this with the frozen stuff.  One must read the label for preservatives...
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Using bread years will probably not give you satisfactory results plus your temps seem rather low especially for bread yeast.
View Quote

Not ideal, but where I started before I found homebrewtalk and other sources but it will certainly get you drunk.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Two weeks is completely arbitrary. It all depends on the yeast and fermentation kinetics. I've fermented white wine sub 40f for nearly three months... While some reds can go dry in as little as two days.

Stutz is right, the airlock can help you determine the end of fermentation, but without actually determining sugar content there is no way to truly know.

Also, remember that you may have two fermentations to deal with, the first being the alcoholic fermentation conducted by the yeast, the second being a bacterial fermentation that converts malic acid into lactic acid.

The trick here is that the bacteria usually likes warmer temps. I've heard a lot of stories about home winemakers bottling, and then things warm up and the bacterial fermentation kicks off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top