Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2014 2:50:59 PM EDT
Add flavors to there craft beer? Citrus flavors, vanilla, Ginger or do you use whole fruits , spices etc for flavoring..
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I made my first batch as a brown ale with pumpkin spice. Brewed it Labor Day weekend last year and it was ready the week before Halloween. It was pretty tasty.

After that, I brewed an attempted clone (it turned out well, but definitely not a clone) of Sam Adam's White Christmas which is a Belgian wit with holiday spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger). Then I brewed a Belgian Trippel with orange blossom honey and orange peel. My last batch was a snowshoe Porter with vanilla beans added in secondary.

So yes, you can add pretty much anything that's edible. It's up to personal preference and taste. One word of caution, go easy on the spices at first. A teaspoon of spice goes a long ways. One or two teaspoons is usually all that's needed for a 5 gallon batch. And for fruits and spices like vanilla beans that need to soak, start them out for about 5 days, and then sample it daily until you hit your desired taste. Before you add that stuff, make sure you'll have time in the next week or so to bottle or keg. Once you hit your taste, it needs to be racked off the flavor item.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Add flavors to there craft beer? Citrus flavors, vanilla, Ginger or do you use whole fruits , spices etc for flavoring..
View Quote

I do all the time. I am known in my brewers guild for experimenting. Most turn out great. One or two havent quite hit the mark.

ETA: Strawberry/Rhubarb ale
Yellow plum ale
Mead with raspberries and chili pepper
pumpkin ale
orange vanilla hefe

etc.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes as I brew a lot of Belgians with sweet and bitter orange peel, coriander, fruit, etc. I've used vanilla been once but didn't care for the intensity of flavor, a little bit goes a long way there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a porter i use vanilla beans in. i also brew a wheat with fruit in it. I'm drunk and thought i had ore to say
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes as I brew a lot of Belgians with sweet and bitter orange peel, coriander, fruit, etc. I've used vanilla been once but didn't care for the intensity of flavor, a little bit goes a long way there.
View Quote

My vanilla Porter used a single vanilla bean that was cut up. It was put in secondary for a week prior to bottling. It produced a subtle, but noticeable vanilla flavor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
This weekend my darling wife be tackling her first ever beer, and her choice, a "clone-ish" of Majic Hat #9  

A whole cup of that fake apricot extract crap will be added to it
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely.

For Belgians wits and saisons I've used bitter ans sweet orange peel and coriander

For a pumpkin ale I've used pureed pumpkin, roasted pumpkin, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Holiday Amber with some of the same spices.

For a chocolate stout I've used dutched cocoa

Going to try some fruit beers and actually use fruit instead of extract next
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tried pepper corn? Try it if you are brewing a stout. Flavor to taste so to speak but the combination will have you wanting to order a steak
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
My first beer was a hazelnut brown ale. I used AHBS kit which included liquid hazelnut flavor.

I just did a chocolate peanut butter stout that is fantastic. I used PB2 chocolate.

I have some strawberry flavoring I want to do a strawberry wit with someday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
no that's for fags and women

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Hope that Rebel Flag on your living room wall in the double wide is hanging str8 and proud.....first words to your wife when you get home " Go make me one of them turkey pot pies bitch!"
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may want to fly to Belgium and let them know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I've made the Austin Home Brew's Magic Hat #9 clone, which uses apricot extract/alcohol stuff to add to it when kegging.  I like it and has come out great...it's a great summer beer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im sure they would welcome that news with open arms and smiles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top