Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2014 4:44:39 PM EDT
I want to have a six  6ft long base with a 4.5 ft top by 12 in high and 16 in deep with a second tier for the HLT that is at 4 ft high with the same 16 in depth.  I won't be able to do threaded fittings all the way through the stand so I would like to  use something like this but more low profile

Has anyone built something like this?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The thread fitting you have there is expensive. I imagine that if you found a local HVAC contractor with a threading machine, you would be able to have them thread the pipe in the exact lengths you want.

In another thread, someone mentioned building one out of unistrut. Which unistrut would be a very easy way to build what you want. The most expensive part would be using specialized mating clips. They have a ton of different clips to mate just about any angle and combination you can think of. We use it all the time in the HVAC industry. It's very versatile and NOTHING is permanent. Something isn't exactly how you like it, unbolt it, buy whatever you need to change it, and you are back up and running in no time.

Below is a link to Unistrut's fitting catalog. This just barely scratches the surface of what can be done with unistrut. We use it for everything from make pipe hanger racks, to mounting communication cable trays in tight corridors.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive built a lot of stuff from pipe before I had a welder

1 source cheap fitting- the chinese stuff can be found

2. cheap pipe=go ask a local (not big box) for off cuts

most importantly access to a threader. If you dont have that then all bets are off as manual threading is terrible. Go ask a local plumbing/hardware store if they will cut/thread what you need.

I would not use the connections you posted=expensive
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive built a lot of stuff from pipe before I had a welder

1 source cheap fitting- the chinese stuff can be found
2. cheap pipe=go ask a local (not big box) for off cuts

most importantly access to a threader. If you dont have that then all bets are off as manual threading is terrible. Go ask a local plumbing/hardware store if they will cut/thread what you need.

I would not use the connections you posted=expensive
View Quote

The connections I posted are just a example, I am sure there are cheaper versions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The thread fitting you have there is expensive. I imagine that if you found a local HVAC contractor with a threading machine, you would be able to have them thread the pipe in the exact lengths you want.

In another thread, someone mentioned building one out of unistrut. Which unistrut would be a very easy way to build what you want. The most expensive part would be using specialized mating clips. They have a ton of different clips to mate just about any angle and combination you can think of. We use it all the time in the HVAC industry. It's very versatile and NOTHING is permanent. Something isn't exactly how you like it, unbolt it, buy whatever you need to change it, and you are back up and running in no time.

Below is a link to Unistrut's fitting catalog. This just barely scratches the surface of what can be done with unistrut. We use it for everything from make pipe hanger racks, to mounting communication cable trays in tight corridors.

http://www.unistrut.us/index.php?WP=S00_Fitting

View Quote

Here you go:  Unistrut Brew Stand
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, boy. Reading that thread on the strut build totally changes my plans for future construction opportunities. As part of my "skills improvement tasks", I planned to weld some stuff of square tubing. I think having the ability to easily adapt my mistakes would be smarter. I had plans to buy/build some shelves for growing fodder to feed out some calves and supplement the rest of the herd. Given that I was looking at heavy-duty shelves ($160 from Lowes) for long term use, this may be just what I needed.

Thanks OP for asking the question and thanks to others for the follow-up.

Forum related: I really need to brew the IPA which has been sitting in my home office for over a year. The yeast is in the freezer. I haven't brewed beer in about 4 years, but have done a few batches of wine in the last year.

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh, boy. Reading that thread on the strut build totally changes my plans for future construction opportunities. As part of my "skills improvement tasks", I planned to weld some stuff of square tubing. I think having the ability to easily adapt my mistakes would be smarter. I had plans to buy/build some shelves for growing fodder to feed out some calves and supplement the rest of the herd. Given that I was looking at heavy-duty shelves ($160 from Lowes) for long term use, this may be just what I needed.

Forum related: I really need to brew the IPA which has been sitting in my home office for over a year. The yeast is in the freezer. I haven't brewed beer in about 4 years, but have done a few batches of wine in the last year.

sgt_seti
View Quote
That shelving is not the same as uni-strut. That has set openings that the little notches lock in to. With uni-strut, you use hardware to make your connections.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That shelving is not the same as uni-strut. That has set openings that the little notches lock in to. With uni-strut, you use hardware to make your connections.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sgt_seti

Yes, I understood the difference. I should have been clear that I will probably use the uni-strut instead of the original shelving. Thanks for making sure it was clear, though.

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.unistrut.us/index.php?WP=S00_Fitting

Unistrut seems to be pretty simple to build with. Definitely would like to build a brew stand like that once I move into a house. I'll most likely forget about Unistrut by then, so hopefully you guys can remind me when the time comes
Top Top