Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 2:25:21 AM EDT
No one in interested? Well I for one look forward to being a pioneer to settle one of those worlds.

But on a serious note. The picture references showing scale compare the size of Trappist 1 (the star) to Jupiter. So my question is why is Jupiter not a Brown dwarf or small star like Trappist?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Multiple threads in GD about it.

Jupiter is either too small, or too D-poor to achieve the same level of burn achieved by other near-mass kin brown dwarf stars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Multiple threads in GD about it.

Jupiter is either too small, or too D-poor to achieve the same level of burn achieved by other near-mass kin brown dwarf stars.
View Quote

D?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand why everyone is getting so excited about this one system.

It's a red dwarf star system.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Deuterium.

Brown dwarf stars have too little mass to compress hydrogen to its fusion temperature under self gravity. Larger brown dwarfs may, however, be sufficiently massive to achieve deuterium and lithium fusion.

Further reading on my part informs me that true brown dwarfs are much more massive than Jupiter (10 to 100 Jupiter masses, so are much more dense even though they're around the same size as Jupiter. Jupiter's not even kinda close to having been a brown dwarf.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
From wiki

Stellar characteristics

TRAPPIST-1 is an ultracool dwarf star, of spectral class M8.0 ± 0.5, that is approximately 8% the mass of and 11% the radius of the Sun. It has a temperature of 2550 K and is at least 500 million years old.[4] In comparison, the Sun is about 4.6 billion years old[16] and has a temperature of 5778 K.[17]

Owing to its low luminosity, the star has the ability to live for up to 4–5 trillion years, meaning that TRAPPIST-1 should remain a main sequence star when the Universe is much older than it is now, when the gas needed to make stars will have been used up.[18] The star is metal-rich, with a metallicity ([Fe/H]) of 0.04, or 109% the solar amount. This is particularly odd as such low-mass stars near the boundary between brown dwarfs and hydrogen-fusing stars are expected to have considerably less metallic composition than the Sun.[citation needed] Its luminosity (L?) is 0.04% of that of the Sun.
View Quote

Guess the depictions aren't accurate or Trappist has heavier elements.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Jupiter is heat positive, we don't know why yet but for sure it is not fussion doing it.  Some hypothesize that it due to friction in the lower atmosphere due to the high pressures and movement of the gasses that are almost liquid.  Others feel the vetted theory that Jupiter has a metalic H core produces heat.  Juno has a pretty good chance at figuring it out.

Trappist is an interesting system but NASA and media have possibly pumped up the coverage to keep NASA research more mainstream.  They have discovered a number of systems with planets within the habitable zone.

I keep looking for the news that they have received radio signals or found an atmosphere like ours on a not so distant planet.  The former would be WILD, the latter would be expected.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
"located 39.5 ly (12.1 pc) from the Sun in the constellation Aquarius"

We cannot get there with ANY technology we have .

Lets round 39.5 ly to 40 for an easy number.
You will die of old age before there is any way to get there.

At c/2 that is 80 years.
At c/4/it is 160  years.
At c/8 320 years.
At c/16 640 years.
At c/32 1,280 years.

What speed do you want to try for?

It is an interesting observation of just about zero value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top