Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2015 6:01:09 PM EDT
Let's say you have an EM wave propagating along the Z axis.  

If the electric (E) and magnetic (B) fields are described by these two equations:

E = Eo * cos(kz-wt) * ihat   (ihat is the unit vector in the X direction)

B = Bo * cos(kz-wt) * jhat   (jhat is the unit vector in the Y direction)

Is there any detectable or measurable E field outside of the X-Z plane?

Is there any detectable or measurable B field outside of the Y-Z plane?

Do the E,B fields exist at all locations in the X-Y plane or only in their respective planes?

I'm asking this because I am confused by the artwork in my textbook.  The way this is usually drawn in textbooks shows two orthogonal sinusoidal waves (E,B) propagating along the z axis but the sinusoid is drawn entirely in-plane, with no component represented outside the plane.

If I look at derivatives, I get dE/dy = 0.  This could mean E(y>0) = 0 or it could also mean E(y) = invariant with y (constant for all values of y), so no help there.  The same situation exists for b, dB/dx = 0.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a sketch of the situation:

Do Ei and Ej exist (out of plane) or is E restricted to being in the X-Z plane?

For that matter, does E2 exist?

I guess I am just dumb as a rock.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Polarization can be constant or varying.

If you take a coil pickup and rotate it near a current carrying conductor you will notice it only couples at certain angels.
When the B-field of the current passes through the loop it picks up.
When it is parallel to the loop no pickup.

It is harder to show with the E-field since you need an infinitely sharp probe tip of essentially zero dimension (or a perfect insulator)..

Keep in mind that all models are wrong some models are useful.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
These E,B fields are associated with photons traveling on and along the Z axis (center of the circle).  The circle is the profile of a cylindrical surface.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These E,B fields are associated with photons traveling on and along the Z axis (center of the circle).  The circle is the profile of a cylindrical surface.
View Quote

Particle-wave duality.
Photons are not always treated as points.
They have wavelengths and dimensions associated with the fields.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
After class, I spoke with the instructor.  He confirmed that the E and B fields exist away from the central axis and that they remain parallel to those fields which are in-plane.  

I asked if the fields are like "a wall" rather than a line and he agreed with that interpretation.  He also said the artwork in the textbook was misleading (shows the field as a line, not a wall).

I have so many more questions about this but am not sure where to ask.  I have a copies of "Physics" by Halliday & Resnick; a copy of Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson and a Wiley & Sons publication called "Fundamentals of Physics" with no author attribution but it looks a lot like Halliday & Resnick.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Particle-wave duality.
View Quote

I pointed out that the E and B fields both go to zero at the same time (extinguish) and then come back from zero.  I asked where they went and how did they come back from nothing.  

He immediately invoked the wave-particle duality.  

It was fun.

Still, if a photon never has mass and its E-B field energies are extinguished, how does it ever come back from nothingness???

I think there is a lot about this universe we do not understand.  We have descriptions of how things work,... how they behave,... we know the "how" but I think there is no deep understanding of the "why".
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Side lobes...
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I pointed out that the E and B fields both go to zero at the same time (extinguish) and then come back from zero.  I asked where they went and how did they come back from nothing.  

It was fun.

Sill if a photon never has mass and its E-B field energies are extinguished, how does it ever come back from nothingness???

I think there is a lot about this universe we do not understand.  We have descriptions of how things work,... how they behave,... we know the "how" but I think there is no deep understanding of the "why".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Particle-wave duality.

It was fun.

Sill if a photon never has mass and its E-B field energies are extinguished, how does it ever come back from nothingness???

A photon has no rest mass.

It however does have momentum when it is moving.

The coolest thing is that the empirical Maxwell equations are invariant under relativity.

For other weird things the EM waves travel outside of the conductor.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This could be fun.  This field (pun intended) seems to be a great mix of theory/concept, some great math and decent experimentation.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The coolest thing is that the empirical Maxwell equations are invariant under relativity.

That is interesting.   I guess it makes some sense, since you mentioned it - Doppler shift, etc.  I would not have just assumed that to be true but it does make sense. Heck, even in a reference frame at rest, they are already traveling at the speed of light, so that does not change.  

For other weird things the EM waves travel outside of the conductor.

This does make perfect sense, since you cannot support an E field inside a perfect conductor and all the charge resides on the outside of the conductor.  
View Quote

Lots of fun stuff!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Electromagnetic Fields was THE EE wash out course a long time ago.

Probably still is.

The math was a tough nut and before finite element analysis MANY problems had no direct solutions.

Problems with a high level of symmetry at least could be solved.

Seemingly simple problems like printed circuit board trace impedance required a lot of simplifying assumptions to be tractable at all.
FEA has allowed for solutions as exact as you care to spend computer time solving.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top