Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2014 5:00:32 PM EDT
Just completed my 4 years of active service in the Marines and am looking at going back to school using my GI Bill. I wanted to get a mechanical engineering degree but I haven't done any Math in a long time as I are Grunt. AmiI going to have trouble catching back up or should a tutor be enough to keep me up to date. And is there anything I can do to refresh my brain before starting back into Calculus?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Try prayer, nothing helps with Calc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
After being out for 4 years, it's unlikely you'll want to jump right in to calc 1.

The school you start at (whether it be community college or a university) will have a math placement test. They may not require you to take it, if you give them high school transcripts and an ACT / SAT score. Even if it is not required, TAKE IT. Your skills HAVE diminished since high school. That test will place you in the proper class.

Good luck to ya, mechanical is the way to go
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After being out for 4 years, it's unlikely you'll want to jump right in to calc 1.

The school you start at (whether it be community college or a university) will have a math placement test. They may not require you to take it, if you give them high school transcripts and an ACT / SAT score. Even if it is not required, TAKE IT. Your skills HAVE diminished since high school. That test will place you in the proper class.

View Quote

This man speaks the truth.  I was a whiz at math in HS and went straight to calculus in college and it was tough. My daughter was a math whiz in HS, but her school required a math placement test.  She was borderline trig/pre cal as a starting point.  I told her you can't get enough trig, so start there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Trying to skip ahead in math will do way more harm than good. When your entire degree is centered around mathematical concepts, it is crucial that you understand math as well as possible, even if it means you start with a class that might be basic for you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
PreCal was 9 weeks of Algebra review and a VERY short review of Trig, where I was weakest.

As a result, I failed Cal1 three times. I never got my CSEG degree.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to be in this same boat in a year or two.  Thanks for the advice guys.  As an offshoot, do any of you have experience with mechatronics or systems engineering?  These two things interest me greatly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I scored a 6/6 on my math placement test, was thrown right into the deep end with calculus.

Physics, geometry, trig and all that just made sense to me, Calc 1 killed me and I retook it the following semester, got a B, followed by two more B's and an A on the next three semesters of calc.

As has been suggested, take the intro classes before jumping into calc if nothing else.

ME here too, btw.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This man speaks the truth.  I was a whiz at math in HS and went straight to calculus in college and it was tough. My daughter was a math whiz in HS, but her school required a math placement test.  She was borderline trig/pre cal as a starting point.  I told her you can't get enough trig, so start there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This above...just wrapped up Cal 1 squeaked out an A via 89.5 overall and Trig was the difficult end for me learn those trig identities and set to heart. Build a strong algebra-trig foundation and do not fear the fractions embrace them. Study hard and get ready for the ride, ChemE minor PE
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was still in high school I was in Calc 1 for half a semester before I had to drop it because I was taking AP Calc, AP Stats, and AP Physics at once. Overloaded myself. Too much homework for classes everyday. On my ACT I got a 30 composite score with a 27/36 in Math. Subsections Algebra was 17/18, Geometry 16/18, and trig 12/18.. And the schools I have been looking at all require Calc 1 and 2 freshman year.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
This is exactly what I'm worried about. I'll probably be going back to engineering school in three years, and I forget nearly all the math I ever learned.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I was still in high school I was in Calc 1 for half a semester before I had to drop it because I was taking AP Calc, AP Stats, and AP Physics at once. Overloaded myself. Too much homework for classes everyday. On my ACT I got a 30 composite score with a 27/36 in Math. Subsections Algebra was 17/18, Geometry 16/18, and trig 12/18.. And the schools I have been looking at all require Calc 1 and 2 freshman year.
View Quote

This is why you'll be tempted to jump in to calc 1. Don't. College math moves at double the speed of high school math. (1 semester per class vs. 1 year).

Every engineering curriculum will have calc 1 listed in their course catalog as a first semester freshman course, however I cannot imagine a school REQUIRING that you be in calc 1. When I went, 45% of the incoming freshman went to calc 1. 45% to precalc, and about 10%, includmyself, to remedial algebra. Even if you MUST graduate in 4 years, there is still a bit of a buffer built in to those schedules, so that students taking precalc will not be held up by prereqs. For example, need to have completed calc  for a class? You won't see it until 3rd semester, so the precalc kids can catch up.

3 AP classes is an easy gravy train compared to trying to complete an ME degree in 8 semesters .  Take that math placement test. If you don't use math for 4 years, you DO lose it. Consider your high school scores irrelevant to where you are today.

Note: this has been my experience. I took AP calc in high school for the challenge. After high school, I decided I wanted to do anything but more school. Went to work for 5 years. Decided I wanted to be an engineer. I excelled at math in HS, and had excellent ACT scores. I tested in to remedial algebra, and even then, stuff didn't come back like I thought it would

My roommate got in a class that was over his head. Simultaneously scarred his GPA and wasted a whole semester, since he needed to be in the class below that. That situation messed with his schedule. He had no classes to take, since he didn't have the prereqs... Getting in over your head is the worst thing you can do to yourself... Avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay. Thanks Chapman I will keep that in mind. I find that experience is the best way to learn and if you lived it I'll take your word for it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
One more question. The school I am looking into offers concentrations in Motorsports and Energy. Would it benefit me to concentrate in one of those areas or would it narrow my job search to those areas in the future?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One more question. The school I am looking into offers concentrations in Motorsports and Energy. Would it benefit me to concentrate in one of those areas or would it narrow my job search to those areas in the future?
View Quote

Where do you live or plan to live afterwards?  That will make a big difference in your job search.

Clemson finally got their ICar campus up and running about the time I was graduating, but nothing interesting was going on at the time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Okay. Thanks Chapman I will keep that in mind. I find that experience is the best way to learn and if you lived it I'll take your word for it.
View Quote

All I ask is you take that math test . It couldn't hurt ya. Being placed in a really low math class is far better than trying to do an upper level, failing, and then moving to the lower class the next semester. Your confidence, GPA, and schedule will all thank you

As far as the concentrations, it depends. Do you plan on using your degree to get in to the energy sector, for instance? Most, "concentrations," within ME are just pre-selected electives. It is normally left up to the student which classes you want to take for your electives. There's a few take-whatever-you-want free electives, and some pick-from-this-list electives.

There was a manufacturing emphasis at the school I went to, and the only real difference was that you took the specific set of electives laid out for you, and you got your, "emphasis." It wasn't any more or less work than the standard route. I chose not to do it.

As far as limiting your job prospects, I'm now getting a little out of my expertise, as I don't hire people or work closely with those that do, but I don't think it would at all. Those concentration and emphasis areas are, like I said before, just a selected set of electives. Your core knowledge base will be the same as every other ME, just fine tuned for a specific industry. Unless that employer is looking to hire ONLY engineers with an emphasis in THAT particular industry, you'll be fine. That is, assuming they know an emphasis isn't vastly different from the regular degree. HR people don't always know things like this

The good news is you'll have some time to figure it out. Most of the electives will be in the second half of your schooling. You'll have time to consult with advisers, instructors, and potential employers about what you should do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm looking at going to University of North Carolina at Charlotte. No real goals for where I want to end up working.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm looking at going to University of North Carolina at Charlotte. No real goals for where I want to end up working.
View Quote

Charlotte = Nascar and other motorsports pursuits.

Get on their Formula SAE team if you want to actually enjoy your time there and build things that go fast.
FSAE is where I picked up welding, machining, etc.  Now I've got an old FSAE car, a mill, lathe and welder...
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Get on their Formula SAE team if you want to actually enjoy your time there and build things that go fast.
FSAE is where I picked up welding, machining, etc. Now I've got an old FSAE car, a mill, lathe and welder...
View Quote

Yes it does mean motorsports. They have some sort of program where they get to use the race track I think. They also hhave the 5th largest water tunnel in the states.
If I were to do the FSAE I wouldnt need to do the concentration in Motorsports would I?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes it does mean motorsports. They have some sort of program where they get to use the race track I think. They also hhave the 5th largest water tunnel in the states.
If I were to do the FSAE I wouldnt need to do the concentration in Motorsports would I?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FSAE is where I picked up welding, machining, etc. Now I've got an old FSAE car, a mill, lathe and welder...

Just having FSAE on your resume will open a lot of doors, especially if you're actually active and know your stuff.

We had people go to Nascar, Formula 1, etc.  Old GF was an old team leader, she's a tire test engineer for Michelin, and works race support for ALMS.  My timing sucks, they weren't looking when I graduated
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was on LSU's FSAE team.  First off, I'm sure each university does things differently.  FSAE isn't very established at LSU compared to many universities, so we never had classes or anything that taught us about the application of engineering to motorsports.  Our FSAE team was our Mechanical Engineering (as well as a couple Electrical Engineering) senior design project for everyone on the team.  However, the actual car/project was owned by our SAE club.

So while you'll learn a great deal just by being on the FSAE team and contributing, actually getting a concentration in motorsports would ultimately make you a more attractive candidate in that field.  In true Arfcom fashion, get both.

You may also want to strongly consider the Energy concentration.  Motorsports will be a rough, competitive world and fairly localized to a few areas.  *Everyone* needs energy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#22]
For math, I guess the one thing that wasn't mentioned is that most schools will have free tutoring programs. Mine had a nightly tutoring lab and 1 on 1 tutoring free to anyone. If you run into trouble, track down how to get tutoring they should be able to help you at most math up to at least calc 1.

Finding a tutor proficient in ME specific classes like statics and dynamics will be more difficult, so I recommend you make friends with people in the class and possibly live on campus for your first year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I would recommend taking an algebra based course and a trig class before you dive into calculus. Also I would recommend that you go to a community college since its cheaper so you can brush up the necessary skills. Check the requirements for your school as well to see if it needs a foreign language and take it at the community college level. My University required 2 years of a language and kill any writing intensive classes at community college. Personally I would pay community college out of pocket rather than using the GI bill since you will need it at the 4 year. I did 5 years in the army and i'm an applied mathematician at Baylor University.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would recommend taking an algebra based course and a trig class before you dive into calculus. Also I would recommend that you go to a community college since its cheaper so you can brush up the necessary skills. Check the requirements for your school as well to see if it needs a foreign language and take it at the community college level. My University required 2 years of a language and kill any writing intensive classes at community college. Personally I would pay community college out of pocket rather than using the GI bill since you will need it at the 4 year. I did 5 years in the army and i'm an applied mathematician at Baylor University.
View Quote

I was looking at going to community college for my first two years and paying it out of pocket. Figured it would be better to pay for two years of community college and then try and use the GI Bill to cover a Masters program.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was looking at going to community college for my first two years and paying it out of pocket. Figured it would be better to pay for two years of community college and then try and use the GI Bill to cover a Masters program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP  

I am no genius, but was able to teach myself Pre Calc out of a textbook the summer before I took Calc 1 in college.  I was 3 years out of HS and took Pre Calc as my highest math course.  Kept me on the schedule and saved me some money, but YMMV since you have the GI bill.  ( I got an A or B on it, don't remember)

Good luck, you're going to need it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I was thinking about doing community college to brush up on algebra and trig before I started Penn state. Now the GI bill will run out in my fifth year and I will be paying out of pocket. But as long as I get the Petro Engineering degree I'm chasing I will be fine with it. Forgot everything I knew from hs, that's for sure. Happy I'm taking the base classes again so I will stand a chance in calc lol. Only hard work and time will tell... Because I'm struggling more in algebra then I thought I would lol. Back up plan is logistics management if I can't cut it in the harder math classes. I will be a lot more confident once I do well in the first calc class.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't get too confident. I thought Calc 1 was pretty easy.  Calc 2, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I was thinking about doing community college to brush up on algebra and trig before I started Penn state. Now the GI bill will run out in my fifth year and I will be paying out of pocket. But as long as I get the Petro Engineering degree I'm chasing I will be fine with it. Forgot everything I knew from hs, that's for sure. Happy I'm taking the base classes again so I will stand a chance in calc lol. Only hard work and time will tell... Because I'm struggling more in algebra then I thought I would lol. Back up plan is logistics management if I can't cut it in the harder math classes. I will be a lot more confident once I do well in the first calc class.

Don't get too confident. I thought Calc 1 was pretty easy.  Calc 2, not so much.

Spend enough time on it, and use all the resources available (like khan academy), and they're very passable classes. Most of the people that I noticed were dropping those classes were the ones that didn't put in the time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, yeah I found out about khan academy a little bit ago it is really useful. I'm planning on using it a lot over my summer break to keep from brain dumping and get a head start on calc. I don't have a problem putting the hours in on studying its the mental retention I'm worried about lol. But that is different for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Spend enough time on it, and use all the resources available (like khan academy), and they're very passable classes. Most of the people that I noticed were dropping those classes were the ones that didn't put in the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is Khan Academy???
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Khan Academy is a web site that will likely save your bacon several times throughout your engineering education. Make note of it, and just bookmark it now. Seriously, browse khanacademy.com, especially through their math section, and watch some videos.

If you didn't understand a topic in math class, you can watch a khan academy video about it. They will explain it a little differently, and you can go through it slowly, back up, and replay certain parts. It's an amazing resource, free too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome. Will do. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#33]
You'll want to have the biggest "math guns" you can...it will make learning the actual engineering concepts so much easier. Super strong calculus foundation will be crucial.

I speak from experience, my Bachelors and Masters degree are both in mechanical engineering....you'll have no problems finding a good job when done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#34]
When I started back to college after a very long hiatus, I placed into College Algebra.  However, I knew that I wasn't ready for that course.  I went to the college library and looked through the math books to see which ones I could easily go through without study.  I decided to start with Introductory Algebra.  

I checked out that textbook numerous times, working every odd-numbered problem in the book.  Then I did the same with an Intermediate Algebra textbook.  Then, I registered for College Algebra.  I made an A, but it wasn't an easy A.  I would have been in serious trouble if I hadn't spent so much time reviewing prior to taking the course.

I then took Precalc (another not-easy A, since my trig was extremely rusty), and this semester I'm taking Calc I.  I really should be studying now; the first test is Friday.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Okay so I bought myself a precalculus workbook and have been working my way through it. The algebra based parts I do increbidly well with but i will admit that I am constantly learning little bits I didnt realize i didnt understand. Alot of the trig parts I can also understand; however I am having trouble memorizing all the identities, theorems, rules( such as measurements on the unit circle, double angle indentities, pythagorean identities, sum difference identities, etc..). On most problems I can work my way through the problem and know which theorem or identity to use for each situation but find myself having to look back in the book for the exact formula for each situation. For calculus should I have all these things memorized or is having to look at a reference paper for formulas exceptable?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Most of the points I miss on my Calc exams are from screwing up on the algebra.  Point being, make sure you have a strong foundation in algebra.  It is also important to know your trig, but the main thing would be to know the trig functions, SOHCAHTOA, the unit circle, and special angles.  You will also need this stuff for your physics classes.  You will use the Pythagorean, sum and difference identities for integration when you get to calc 2, but I think your instructor will understand that the students will have taken trig a few semesters back and thus either provide the formulas on exams or teach a refresher when covering the relevant material.  My professor wouldn't let us use the cheat chart for integrating trig functions on our mid terms but the department allowed it on the final.

Have you taken a math placement yet?
View Quote

So what your saying is keep working but just because i dont have everything memorized doesnt mean I wont do okay?
And no i haven't yet. I have been busy with work but I am supposed to have wednesday off and was planning on taking it then.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a fantastic idea.

36 months of benefits will not pay for a 4-year degree (or 5-year, in this case).

While I am not going for any STEM degrees, I figured out a way to pay for the entirety of my BS, my MA (currently underway), and the majority of another Masters program using my GI Bill.

Pre-plan and utilize the benefits you have earned to their utmost potential.

I have no advice as to your original questions.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

36 months of benefits will not pay for a 4-year degree (or 5-year, in this case).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

36 Months does cover a 4 year degree. Your summer and winter breaks are not paid for by the GI Bill giving you a total of 9 Months for each school year. Which makes 4 years of college add up to 36 months.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
36 Months does cover a 4 year degree. Your summer and winter breaks are not paid for by the GI Bill giving you a total of 9 Months for each school year. Which makes 4 years of college add up to 36 months.
View Quote

From what I have witnessed with friends utilizing their GI Bill going to state schools full-time, their benefits expired late in their junior year or early in their senior year.
Hopefully your experience will be different.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#42]
A word of caution to anyone thinking about going to community college to save money. Your GPA will not transfer over to the university you go to for your engineering degree.  You are going to take all of your easy classes at community college and probably finish there with a high GPA.  Then start your last two years taking all core engineering classes that are incredibly difficult. It may be hard for you to maintain the necessary GPA to stay in school if you run into problems. Your classmates who started at university will have an additional two years of easy classes to average into their GPA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Especially when it's Calc II w/linear algebra from what I hear. Luckily the school I was attending at the time separated them. Linear algebra still kicked my ass.

BTW, I'm an EE, but we all still have to take the same math classes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
I went to UNCC for ME as well.

I graduated before they had a concentration in energy, but work in the power industry currently.  For me personally, I would do energy over motorsports.  Everyone needs energy, there will always be demand for it, and the industry is growing.  The power industry can have a promising career if you are into it and work hard.

As far as math and calc, I would make sure you know your algebra and trig like the back of your hand.  A lot of people in calc mess up on the algebra part.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Take couple intro courses in Tech math in the Technology Section of your campus if you have it.

GTC-107 and 108(at my school) are Technical Mathematics 1 and 2 respectively.  They start you at "This is a number" and take you well into Algebra as used in technology.  The nice thing about them is that they use real world technical problems for you to related to.  It gets you back into the "math groove" without having to freak out so much over "theory", per se.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I am working towards my ME degree as well.  For Calculus, the BEST thing you can do is get good at Trig & Algebra.  The Calculus part is not that difficult, its mostly the BS in-between like Trig and Algebra.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I was fortunate that calculus never really posed much of a problem for me. Nor did organic chemistry.... but get me in a humanities or creative writing course and I'll face desk at least twice a class.
My advice to get on track as fast as possible? Hit those Algebra books hard, then work on your trig skills.
Khan Academy might be a good free source to hit those basics.

Find as many questions as you can from other sources, and keep practicing over and over. Ingrain everything you can, because it's not uncommon to start forgetting the basics later on.
SAT/ACT/GRE books are a good investment.

Also don't be afraid to get a nice TI-89 calculator and learn how to use the advanced functions to check your work in future math courses. It WILL be a lifesaver that most professors can overlook.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Since you are just starting to go back to school...don't worry about Calc right now....get back in the swing of math by taking a couple of tech math courses like Tech Math I and II ( at my school that is GTC-107 and 108 ).  These will give you a great, reality found re-introduction to math on a practical level.  It's not so much deep math theory as it is practical, technical math.  It's a good, comfortable re-introduction to mathematics.....they were two of my favorite courses and they've helped me handle everything in my ELE and Engineering programs so far.

I really DO need to get back and take serious, true math...but the tech math has been GREAT so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top