Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 4:23:19 PM EDT
Any help is appreciated. Also, if you could show your work for the problem that would be great.

The instructions read:

Write the equation in slope intercept form, then find the slope and the y intercept. Finally, draw the graph.

The slope intercept form of the equation is ____________

The slope is ___________ and the y intercept is (__,__)

The equation is:

6x + 7y = 22

So far I have gotten:

6x + 7y = 22

7y = -6x + 22

y = - (6/7)x + 22/7

slope intercept form of the equation is y = -(6/7)x + 22/7

slope is -(6/7)

How would I graph the slope of -(6/7) and the y intercept of 22/7?

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any help is appreciated. Also, if you could show your work for the problem that would be great.

The instructions read:

Write the equation in slope intercept form, then find the slope and the y intercept. Finally, draw the graph.

The slope intercept form of the equation is ____________

The slope is ___________ and the y intercept is (__,__)

The equation is:

6x + 7y = 22

So far I have gotten:

6x + 7y = 22

7y = -6x + 22

y = - (6/7)x + 22/7

slope intercept form of the equation is y = -(6/7)x + 22/7

slope is -(6/7)

How would I graph the slope of -(6/7) and the y intercept of 22/7?

View Quote

Put a dot just above the 3 on the Y axis.  The line is gonna go from top left to bottom right...for 1 Y , you go down almost 1 X (6/7 of an X).
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Slope-intercept form is, in my opinion, the best form for an equation to be in when you want to graph it.

Your y-intercept is the point at which your line crosses the y-axis. In this case, it is 22/7, or just over 3. Remember that all along the y-axis, x is equal to 0. The coordinate of your intercept is (0, 22/7), for example. So, to find your y intercept, set x = 0. You'll be left with y = 22/7. This is WHY the slope-intercept is b in y = mx + b. When x = 0 (on the y -axis), y = b

When the equation is in slope-intercept form, it's easiest to just say the intercept is b in y = mx + b.

We found the y intercept by setting x = 0. Can you find the x intercept? The process is very similar.

For your slope, remember that slope represents RISE / RUN. A slope of -6/7 means RISE -6, or go down six lines, run +7, or go to the right 7 lines. From your y-intercept, drop down 6, right 7, and make another dot. Connect those two dots and you have your line.

Check your calculated x-intercept with the one you just graphed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The previous two posters are correct.

y-intercept form is y = mx + b where b is any real number. "b" is the intercept and m is the slope.

To find the y intercept, find the point "b" on the y axis and place a small dot there.

Now for the slope: This method depends on the scale of your axis, but works no matter what. So your slope is -6/7 which is -.857. Take a ruler and go down from your "b" point 0.857 units, and over 1 unit (in the pos. x direction) and place a dot there. Then you can draw a line with a ruler between the two points and voila! You have a line.

Think of it like drawing a triangle. You have drawn the first dot, and drawing the "b" dot makes the first leg. Drawing the third dot (1 unit over on the x axis) makes the second leg. Using the ruler, you then draw the hypotenuse.

-TNT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top