Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2013 4:20:20 PM EDT
I'm going back to school starting in January and want some advice on where i should start with math classes. The plan is to eventually transfer to a 4 year college offering a degree in Atmospheric Sciences. It looks like i'll need to take Calculus 1-3 while at a community college.

The highest math i took was a Math in Society class. Didn't need anything higher since i was earning a AAS (Air Traffic Control). Degree is worthless if you don't work in ATC.

So where should i start? Take a refresher in algebra thats combined with a intro course to precalculus or do i just jump into precalculus?

Math in Society description:

A general education course investigating quantitative reasoning and its applications and role in society. Topics may include graph theory, statistics, coding, game theory, symmetry, and geometric and numerical patterns. Mathematical theory combined with quantitative skills will be used in applications to a variety of problems encountered in mathematics and the world. A thematic approach may be taken in this course.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Your school should offer a math assessment which will place you based on your current skill.  When I went back to school I started at super basic remedial algebra, then skipped the next level of remedial algebra to go into college level algebra and trig.  I didn't take an actual pre-calc class, but in hindsight I think I would have been better off if I had.  I did fine in Calc 1 up until I blew off studying for the final which dragged my grade down to a C.  I'm having a lot more trouble with Calc 2.  One bit of advice I will offer, unless you're some kind of genius, these aren't the types of classes you can expect to do well in without spending a lot of time on them outside of class.  Showing up, taking notes, and doing all your homework isn't enough.  I can get A's all day long in Gen Ed classes with barely even showing up, but Calc 2, and math in general, requires working a lot of problems to gain a firm understanding of the material.  Also, pay attention in algebra and trig because they aren't going away when you finish those classes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I say start at the beginning if you haven't seen it in a while. It can only help bring back what you had. And to go all the way through calc you are gonna seed a solid background. Good luck!

<----- physicist
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless math is intuitive for you, master algebra & trig first. They are the building blocks for calculus which is the primary tool for engineering & most other non-biological sciences.  Calc 1 requires at least a B grade to successfully learn 2 & 3.  Physics & chemistry based careers will not be successful without mastery of calculus.

Been there, done that - B.S. math & physics in 1979. Successfully retired this year from a 30+ year career in electronics & computer engineering.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
As corporal chaos mentioned, your school should have a placement exam. That will assess your skills in the different disciplines of math, and that should place you in the right class.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I say start at the beginning if you haven't seen it in a while. It can only help bring back what you had. And to go all the way through calc you are gonna seed a solid background. Good luck!

<----- physicist
View Quote
Starting to think this might be my best bet.

Oh well....

Thanks for everyone's input.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey! Atmospheric science, huh? What school are you looking end up at? I just completed my Meteorology degree this year. Fun times!

A math placement test would be a good idea to get an idea of your comprehension but it's also a good idea to take some basic courses to get you back into the mathematics rhythm. Obviously in atmospheric science you apply a lot of math everywhere so honestly, anything is a good start but specifically you need to focus on pre-calculus, trigonometry, and even statistics (this is especially if you plan on doing any kind of research or have to complete an undergraduate thesis). In the upper level classes you use A LOT of trig and differential equations.  

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top