Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2013 5:57:28 AM EDT
Is there a setting or function in a DSL modem/router that might prevent you from accessing your public IP address from your locally attached PC.   Would the NAT affect this?

I have a security DVR set up at my house with ports forwarded so that the system is viewable from an external site but the problem is that if I try to access the DVR at home using the external IP address, the connection fails.

I know I can access the DVR using the internal IP address but I was trying to connect with the external IP just to check it's functionality without having to go off site to test it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there a setting or function in a DSL modem/router that might prevent you from accessing your public IP address from your locally attached PC.   Would the NAT affect this?

I have a security DVR set up at my house with ports forwarded so that the system is viewable from an external site but the problem is that if I try to access the DVR at home using the external IP address, the connection fails.

I know I can access the DVR using the internal IP address but I was trying to connect with the external IP just to check it's functionality without having to go off site to test it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

witin your inside network ip range, you should use the inside ip for the dvr. and it also depends upon how the router is set up. if thigns get forwarded and what dns and etc.

are you typing the ip in a browser window or are you using a name that get's resolved
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

witin your inside network ip range, you should use the inside ip for the dvr. and it also depends upon how the router is set up. if thigns get forwarded and what dns and etc.

are you typing the ip in a browser window or are you using a name that get's resolved

I type in the IP directly, not trying to resolve a name so I guess DNS would be irrelevant to this particular issue.

UPDATE:  If I go off site and try to access the DVR from another outside network, everything seems to work properly.  It still fails when I try to access the public IP address from my local PC.

The best I can figure is that there must be some kind of setting in my router that prevents me from going outside to the WWW and then try to turn around and come back in through my public IP address.

Any ideas??   Anybody??

Thanks!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top