Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2013 10:00:55 PM EDT
Woa, new subforum that I've never seen before.

Any STEM PhDs? I'm currently a PhD grad student in Immunology, would love to see if anyone else is in bio research.

(Might be a good networking op if sequestration tanks sci funding any further! )

ETA: S.T.E.M. = Science Technology Engineering Mathematics

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Working on a PhD in Computational Science.  Still a few years out!  

Out of curiosity, how much grad school does a PhD in Immunology take?  I'm on year four and probably have about three left before getting a real job.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Working on a PhD in Computational Science.  Still a few years out!  

Out of curiosity, how much grad school does a PhD in Immunology take?  I'm on year four and probably have about three left before getting a real job.

People graduate in as little as 4.5 years, and some go out to 8 years here.

As far as getting a 'real' job, most immunology PhDs go out for academic positions, which requires at least another 4-6 years of post-doctoral fellowships. Even if we wanted to go to industry, it's so hypercompetitive nowadays that the desirable industry positions may require post-doc and even some professorship experience.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
PhD in pharmacology... did basic research (molecular biology) for about 17 years... switched to medical writing about a year and a half ago.  Basic research was very enjoyable, but if you don't want to run your own lab the opportunities for career advancement are limited.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a niece about to graduate with an MD/Phd (MSTP) from a major University.  Her Phd is in mathematics and will begin a residency in pathlogy at a major university hospital. What's her career outlook?  Kinda hard to tell from 2000 miles away, and don't want to be too nosey.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have a niece about to graduate with an MD/Phd (MSTP) from a major University.  Her Phd is in mathematics and will begin a residency in pathlogy at a major university hospital. What's her career outlook?  Kinda hard to tell from 2000 miles away, and don't want to be too nosey.

nice, MSTP programs are generally very competitive to get into. Although I will say it's kind of odd to see a Math PhD coming from a MSTP program; MSTP students typically do biology based PhD programs since the focus is on translational medicine. (maybe a small percentage go to chemistry/biochemistry).

Her career outlook? Let's start with the bright side: she won't have the $200+K worth of student loans typically associated with med school.

On the negative side, she has a LOT more training to go through before she'll start her career. MSTP programs are on average 8 +/- 1 years (4 year MD, 4 years PhD). Afterwards, if she wants to be a physician-scientist, she'll do her residency/postdoctoral/fellowship training which can be another 4-8 years. At which point she'll be potentially competitive for a tenure track professor position; another 5-7 years before she earns tenure and gains some level of stability. It's a rough path...
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

nice, MSTP programs are generally very competitive to get into. Although I will say it's kind of odd to see a Math PhD coming from a MSTP program; MSTP students typically do biology based PhD programs since the focus is on translational medicine. (maybe a small percentage go to chemistry/biochemistry).    

Her career outlook? Let's start with the bright side: she won't have the $200+K worth of student loans typically associated with med school.

On the negative side, she has a LOT more training to go through before she'll start her career. MSTP programs are on average 8 +/- 1 years (4 year MD, 4 years PhD). Afterwards, if she wants to be a physician-scientist, she'll do her residency/postdoctoral/fellowship training which can be another 4-8 years. At which point she'll be potentially competitive for a tenure track professor position; another 5-7 years before she earns tenure and gains some level of stability. It's a rough path...

Her Phd thesis had to do with mathematical simulation of biological processes. Being an animal lover, and closet PETA-type her motivation was to reduce the requirement for lab animal experimentation, substituting computer simulation for actual experimentation.  Graduates from the 8-year program in May and starts a 4-year residency in pathology,
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#7]
MD/PhD in molecular biology.  Ended up in private practice for a variety of reasons.  

Looks like you are in MO?
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Despite their research-oriented training, only around 25% of MD/PhDs end up in academia.

My wife is wrapping up a PhD in Pharmacology. I thought about MSTP but I didn't love bench science enough to delay residency for 4 years. I don't regret that decision.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Working on a PhD in Explosive Engineering  One more year of research and then "that paper" will right its self, right?

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Working on a PhD in Explosive Engineering  One more year of research and then "that paper" will right its self write itself, right?

View Quote

Oh, the irony.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
PhD EE.

Unlike the digital processing guys I really know how to make things that work though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, the irony.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working on a PhD in Explosive Engineering  One more year of research and then "that paper" will right its self write itself, right?

Oh, the irony.

I think I'll crowd source my dissertation by posting it on different forums........in a week it will be corrected by a half million people and doubled in size.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
No, but I'm in a PhD program that requires math and econometrics (economics).

That means we pretend to sort of be in the STEM group, but get shat upon by the rest of the math nerds.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
PhD Quality.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Starting 3rd semester of PhD in molecular biology while working full time as plant molecular biologist/lab manager and raising 2 teens and a 1st grader alone, trying  to maintain some sort of sanity. . Got a divorce and a promotion, with nowhere else to go up the ladder without those three little letters after my name. 3 and 4 credits at a time... Hope to graduate before my middle child graduates from high school (in 4 years).  And in case you're wondering, i picked my username BEFORE I ever knew this thread exisisted... Heh. Geek humor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Starting 3rd semester of PhD in molecular biology while working full time as plant molecular biologist/lab manager and raising 2 teens and a 1st grader alone, trying  to maintain some sort of sanity. . Got a divorce and a promotion, with nowhere else to go up the ladder without those three little letters after my name. 3 and 4 credits at a time... Hope to graduate before my middle child graduates from high school (in 4 years).  And in case you're wondering, i picked my username BEFORE I ever knew this thread exisisted... Heh. Geek humor.
View Quote

Welcome to arfcom
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you! Been lurking for a while, as my new shooting partner turned me on to this wonderful site! Think I've built up enough courage to jump in was pleasantly surprised to find this thread!
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Have my Masters in EE. Probably in about a year or so I'll go ahead and start working toward that PhD.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Earned my PhD in Electrical Engineering from UC Santa Barbara in 1972.  Worked in aerospace/defense from 1971 until 2009 at which time I moved to Arizona and ultimately became a full time self-employed gunsmith in 2011.  See www.roughcreekgunsmithing.com.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Working on a PhD in applied cognitive science and human factors. "Working."
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Defend next Wednesday. High energy physics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
just passed my PhD qualifiers this past week

ETA: good luck with your defense! Although if your program is anything like ours, the defense is only a formality...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top