Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:07:19 PM EDT
I'm in my schools mechanical engineering program and currently registering for next years classes.  Because I was deficient in math when I first started back at school, I am behind on credits and am now trying to play catch up.

I'm still limited on which classes I can take because I haven't yet taken PHYS 241 (Intro to Electricity and Magnetism) and Statics (taking both next semester).  This semester I am enrolled in Calc 2 and will definitely be taking Vector Calculus next semester.  

Another class I am eligible to take next semester (one of the very few I'm eligible for) is Intro to Ordinary Differential Equations.  For those have have taken both, is there any reason I shouldn't take Vector Calculus and Differential Equations in the same semester?  

The schedule I am looking at for next semesters is Intro to Electricity and Magnetism, Statics, Vector Calculus, and Intro to Ordinary Differential Equations.  Those classes amount to 14 credits.  

I would like to find another 3 credits if possible, but I don't think I will be able to since I needed Statics before I can take Dynamics and I need Vector Calculus and PHYS 241 before I can take Thermodynamics.  I've already taken all my gen ed's too, so there is no point in taking any more of those.

Also, I am trying to decide if I should double major in mechanical and electrical engineering or not.  If I were to double major, that would solve my problem with trying to find more credits for next semester.  

My question regarding double majoring is, would it be worth it?  I realize that the answer to that is subjective, but I would like to hear what those working in an engineering field think.  My primary interest is mechanical and that is probably the field I would want to work in.

I know that if I also have an BSEE, that would open up electrical engineering positions for me and also make me a more attractive employment candidate (all else being equal) but would the extra degree pay for itself in the form of a higher salary?

I am going to school on the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which basically covers 9 semesters worth of school.  I can finish my degree in mechanical engineering in those 9 semesters, and might still be able to do it in 8.  If I double, I will probably have to pay for at least one semester out of pocket.

I'm not opposed to paying a little out of pocket if it will benefit me later on.  Another option would be to finish up my degree in mechanical engineering and then go for my masters, but I don't know how much longer that would keep me in school or how much it would cost.

If any of you engineers out there could shed a little light on the questions I have posed, I would greatly appreciate it.  And before anyone suggest I go talk to my adviser, she wasn't very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
ODE isn't too bad but I wouldn't take 2 math classes in a semester unless I was persuing a mathematics degree. Are you done with chem? Circuits? Is that your last calc class? Quantum was required a few years ago when I went through, I think it was a corequisite with calc at that time.

I would never purposely dual major in Eng programs.
Get your ME, and try to get an intern job doing ME. Graduate, hire on full, employer pays for EE graduate school if you get in. If your grades aren't good enough go back for a second in EE if you like pain and no social life.
In my opinion a BSME with MSEE is very appealing for many employers since many times ME will bleed over into EE (as in engines use electrical controllers, etc.). Also most ME's hate electricity, like myself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the other poster on not doubling on 2 math courses in the same semester if you don't have too. I am a Chem Eng undergrad and we took 6 semesters of math/math science undergrad. You might also consider taking something else other than straight engineering as another major/minor. I had nearly an economics major as well undergrad (stopped it my senior year cause they wouldn't grant me a BSChE and a BA); ended up doing an MBA in Finance in night school. It depends a lot on what you want your career path to be. I was a design and startup engineer for seven years and then switched to commercial until executive than entrepreneur, etc. It just depends on what floats your boat. But 4-5 science/engineering classes in a semester plus labs is tough (easier if you through in some of those easier lib art distribution courses that you need).
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither calc 2 nor ODE is too terribly hard if you are considered decent at math. I would rate them at "medium" in the math difficulty department. I would say it depends on what your other classes are. I was not an engineering major so I have no idea how hard your other courses will be just looking at the course names.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Neither calc 2 nor ODE is too terribly hard if you are considered decent at math. I would rate them at "medium" in the math difficulty department. I would say it depends on what your other classes are. I was not an engineering major so I have no idea how hard your other courses will be just looking at the course names.

In most engineering schools, it seems that Calc 2 is a very tough in comparison to the others...seem like they throw a LOT of theory and memorization (in other words, a "weed-out" class)  at you compared to Calc 1 or 3 or DiffEQ.  YMMV by school though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm finishing up my junior year in engineering.  If you are decent at calc, I would say go for it, I found ODE's to much much easier than vector calc.  If you plan on majoring in engineering, your last few semesters will be effectively nothing but math based courses, so if you feel comfortable with calc, I say go for it because you'll have to get used to that sort of work load at some point

I had a really hard time with calc though, and I would have probably not done as well if I had another math course on top of it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm finishing up my junior year in engineering.  If you are decent at calc, I would say go for it, I found ODE's to much much easier than vector calc.  If you plan on majoring in engineering, your last few semesters will be effectively nothing but math based courses, so if you feel comfortable with calc, I say go for it because you'll have to get used to that sort of work load at some point

I had a really hard time with calc though, and I would have probably not done as well if I had another math course on top of it.

I was quite the opposite. I understood calc very well, and found vector calculus much easier than ODE's. Until, that is, it "clicked" for me.

It will be a hellish semester any way you slice it, but if you've got the time and motivation, do it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Vector Calc and E&M will cover much of the same ground.  Just to make it fun, they will use different notation for the same things

You should be able to handle those with ODE.

If you decide to defer ODE, just make sure you take it before THERMO or Dynamics.

As far as EE goes, you could look into a minor. I was carrying the equivalent load to a Junior in the EE program when I graduated.

At the time I wish I had double majored, but it didn't hurt me. I was able to enter an EE graduate program with only 1 remedial course.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
double degrees in engineering will not command higher salary. It may make employment easier however.

A BSEE and a degree in business, management, finance most times will move you up the corporate ladder much faster thus yielding a higher salary quicker...but not typically upon first hire.

difficulty of math is attributed to the presenter.....usually when a student makes it this far the determination is there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
My adviser (btw you should find an adviser in the engineering dept, not a generic academic adviser) advised against a double major even though I'm doing very well in all of my classes.  She suggested using my extra time and brainpower at an internship.  I'd suggest you do the same--an internship will do more for you upon graduation than a dual-degree and you can always go back for another degree on your company's dime.  None of the MEs that I know have dual degrees. When I asked them about it, most said you will have plenty of time to expand your knowledge later and that you should focus on mastering one field for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top