Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2013 10:56:29 PM EDT
How many girls are in your classes and how many people are in the classes?

Im a junior ME and theres 3 girls to the approx 60 guys in our classes.  I love the days we have class in the business building!
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Im a junior ME and theres 3 girls to the approx 60 guys in our classes.  I love the days we have class in the business building!

I'm not an ME, but these numbers look closer to my Ugrad EE classes which easily have the worst ratio of the major disciplines. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of my ME classes had around 20-25 students, but your ratio is about right from my experience, with 2 of the 3 being able to pass as guys in a dimly lite room. Most females aren't very interested in mechanical things.
The core classes were a little more balanced, maybe 10 out of 30, mainly due to Bioengineering students.
We had one class that was taught in the nursing school building, the classroom was embedded inside the buildiing with big unobstructed windows along the back. I don't think anyone did very well in that class.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most of my ME classes had around 20-25 students, but your ratio is about right from my experience, with 2 of the 3 being able to pass as guys in a dimly lite room. Most females aren't very interested in mechanical things.
The core classes were a little more balanced, maybe 10 out of 30, mainly due to Bioengineering students.
We had one class that was taught in the nursing school building, the classroom was embedded inside the buildiing with big unobstructed windows along the back. I don't think anyone did very well in that class.

Hahahahaha, so true!

Im glad I put off core humanities til my senior year. Figured I would need some "inspiration" to make it through the final year.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
96:4

(Aerospace)
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
ME, there were three in my classes out of ~50, more in other sections.

Link Posted: 3/16/2013 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The mining engineering program was 12:1.  The entire school was about 6:1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ratio in my dept(IE) when I graduated was getting close to 50/50 for all grades but by the time you looked at just upper level students it was in that 35-40% female.  ME had the lowest number of females, ChemE, IE and ArchE were all on the higher end of the scale
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
This report is real interesting (at least to me).
It gives break-downs of degrees awarded, how many per school, graduate degrees, gender, ethnicity, etc. I try to remember to look at it every couple of years to see what's going on.

ASEE
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This report is real interesting (at least to me).

It gives break-downs of degrees awarded, how many per school, graduate degrees, gender, ethnicity, etc. I try to remember to look at it every couple of years to see what's going on.

ASEE

Huh, LSU is 7th in the nation for highest percentage of doctoral degrees to foreign nationals by school.  No wonder they were pushing for us Americans to go to graduate school so bad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
3 total in the Electrical Engineering....perhaps 10 in Mechanical....which is what should be expected for this are (Used to be heavy auto industry)...most of the females going into ME is because daddy works/worked at one of the plants and can help get them in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...most of the females going into ME is because daddy works/worked at one of the plants and can help get them in.

Wow.  Come on out to Virginia and talk like that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...most of the females going into ME is because daddy works/worked at one of the plants and can help get them in.

Wow.  Come on out to Virginia and talk like that.

Vat was 8th at awarding Eng. Degrees to females in 2011. What made you decide on wanting to go there? Do they actively recuite based on gender? Are there alot of females interested in engineering careers in that geographic location? A big NASCAR following ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
4-5 in my undergrad (ChemE), 4-5 grad (Aero), 2 out of 36 in my TPS class, 2 out of 35 in the next TPS class.  

I think part of the problem is the self licking ice cream cone.  When my daughter was signing up for high school this year, he mother and grand mother took her.  They went to sign her up for clubs, all kinds of typical liberal type clubs.  Helping mentally handicap, drama, reading, etc.  They didn't even show her STEM.  I was pretty irritated, and laid it out in plain 1's and 0's engineering logic for them.  The clubs they persuaded her to sign up for will do little to nothing for her in terms of school or a job.  They didn't like that and continued to try to tell me how that will help her, blah, blah, blah.  Both of them (I do love them both), are the 1st to claim that there is a sexism in industry and women don't get a fair shake.  They complain about equal pay, and the lack of women in science and engineering.  So the ice cream cone continues to lick itself.....

I really wanted my daughter to pursue a math/science type field and I don't think it is to late, but if I let my guard down seems like someone is trying to influence her the other way (and it is almost always by women).
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
There are many more opportunities in high tech engineering for females than males, due to what the statistics say. Large companies have large departments devoted to leveling the playing field in fear of lawsuits. With so few females to go around, at least in the mechanical field, hr will trip over themselves when presented with a quality female applicant.
If there are 2 equally able individuals up for the same position, the female will get the position. That's just the way it is. You will find this with schools filling student slots also.
I had a real good discussion with a professor (female from Iran) about this very thing
If I had a daughter that had an interest in bicycles over dolls, I would do everything in my power to help her foster that interest. Children are influenced heavily by their role models.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My boss is a woman, and she is both a great boss and an excellent engineer.  While women aren't well represented in the engineering field, I suspect it isn't because of capability but rather because of interest.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Vat was 8th at awarding Eng. Degrees to females in 2011. What made you decide on wanting to go there? Do they actively recuite based on gender? Are there alot of females interested in engineering careers in that geographic location? A big NASCAR following ?

I decided on Virginia Tech because of their heavy pressure on Virginia businesses to recruit their interns and graduates.  They really go to bat to get their students into the field as quickly as possible.

I know quite a few women in engineering out here.  NASA is a leader in that area--Langley has really stepped up with regards to encouraging young women in STEM fields.  Northrop Grumman, Continental and Lockheed Martin actively encourage women to apply as well.  

The Richmond, VA chapter of the Society of Women Engineers is pretty active in the community (unlike some women engineering associations) and surprisingly, most of the members (and many other female engineers I know) are the first engineer in their family.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

WTF are girls?

EE here
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember many decades ago in engineering school, we were assigned a classroom in the Home Economics Building on a temporary basis due to construction for a few weeks.  As a temporary measure they would tape up a "Mens" sign on one of the restrooms in the afternoon for our use, as there were only women's restrooms in that building.

I had never seen such a filthy restroom in my life.  

Ladies, really?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I decided on Virginia Tech because of their heavy pressure on Virginia businesses to recruit their interns and graduates.  They really go to bat to get their students into the field as quickly as possible.

I know quite a few women in engineering out here.  NASA is a leader in that area--Langley has really stepped up with regards to encouraging young women in STEM fields.  Northrop Grumman, Continental and Lockheed Martin actively encourage women to apply as well.  

The Richmond, VA chapter of the Society of Women Engineers is pretty active in the community (unlike some women engineering associations) and surprisingly, most of the members (and many other female engineers I know) are the first engineer in their family.

Very cool, great support makes the grind easier. The beautiful part of the country you're in doesn't hurt for re-energizing in your few available minutes of down time between class and study.
Build a strong network, A VaT chapter of SWE is a real good start. It's always best to learn about the professors the easy way.

There was one class that I wanted to take real bad that wasn't taught very often. It was listed as being taught by "staff". The first day of class all the seats were filled and there were probably another 15 students standing along the back wall hoping to get an add. The next time the class met there were probably 15 empty seats. It didn't take me long to figure out why, but too late for me to drop (unless I wanted to lose a lot of $), thus my lack of a good network was felt all semester long.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's always best to learn about the professors the easy way.

There was one class that I wanted to take real bad that wasn't taught very often. It was listed as being taught by "staff". The first day of class all the seats were filled and there were probably another 15 students standing along the back wall hoping to get an add. The next time the class met there were probably 15 empty seats. It didn't take me long to figure out why, but too late for me to drop (unless I wanted to lose a lot of $), thus my lack of a good network was felt all semester long.

Ouch.  I hate it when that happens.  I had one last gen ed to take last semester (an easy English course) and forgot to check out the prof ahead of time.  Turned out he was the toughest grader on campus and what was supposed to be a no-brainer class ended up being a major time-sink.  If I had bothered to ask around (or check out ratemyprofessors.com) I would have been able to switch classes before it was too late.  Oh well.

You're right, it is gorgeous out here.  Chilly though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I graduated EE, I remember freshmen year there was about 10% girls in the classes.

I believe when I graduated there were something like 3, not percent, but 3 females who graduated.  I'd have to look at graduation handouts to see the names, but yeah it was something like 3.

10 % sounds about right.  I don't think about it much actually.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Way back in the olden days (late 1970s) there was one women in VA techs EE class my year.

A few more stated out in the freshman general Engineering curriculum, but only one made it into EE.

i have worked with some decent female engineers, and some realy bad ones.

One female RF engineer asked "What is group delay and should my filter have it."

She was gone soon after that from the company.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#25]

I graduated in 2011 with my ME degree.

There were 3 girls in my graduating classes.

None of them had good grades, nice projects, or any real-wolrd experience. They were the three most sought after when everyone was looking for jobs Sr. year.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

None of them had good grades, nice projects, or any real-wolrd experience. They were the three most sought after when everyone was looking for jobs Sr. year.

Diversity and affirmative action hard at work
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#27]
ME grad, was about 15:1 and one look like this....

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I work in a civil engineering office. We have very very few women working in technical positions. It was like that in the last civil engineering office I worked at too. Actually more were/are easy on the eyes than not in my experience though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Part of the problem is that you (at least used to) need 4 years of high school math (at least up to pre-cal/analysis) for engineering programs.

I remember friends taking an extra math in summer school to get in 4 years of high school math, pretty tough in 3 year high schools.

Virginia only required two, algebra and geometry.

I went to a privater high school that was 4 years, and had completed 3 years of math in one year in an 'experimental' program in a two year junior high school.

It allowed me to go as fast as I wished through two years of algebra, then geometry, then some advanced geometry (I checked a text book out of the library, had it approved, then the school had to purchase it).

The general disdain many teenage girls seem to have for taking math has a long term impact.

The same thing occurred in chemistry.
The AP Chem class only had 3 girls out of 18 students.

AP biology was the other way slightly, about 70% girls.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I graduated with bachelors in Mechanical engineering 2003, and masters mech eng in 2005.....the entire time all classes were a sausage fest. There were a couple girls in the undergrad ME classes, but nothing you would be interested in. During masters program it was all dudes and one surprisingly hot Indian chick (dot Indian, not feather)...and I always imagined she must know what it feels like to be a dart board in a bar. Relentless nerd dongs coming from every angle....fucking hilarious to watch so many nerds trying to get some action.

I work in an R&D environment with a bunch of very sharp guys who have more degrees than a thermometer...and anytime a pretty girl walks through the primate instinct comes out in everyone. It's surprising nobody pisses in the lab to mark territory or anything silly like that
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I graduated with my BSE - ME in 1998 (it's been a while) from ASU.  Ratio was about 60:4 for the ME major.   Seems like the ratios are consistent.  Engineering was in one section of campus and a lot of people had to walk past it to get to a parking structure... all the girls in the liberal arts degree programs seemed to concentrate on getting past the engineers as quickly as possible. ;)

Interestingly enough, at a few of the companies I've worked at or with had ratios that were much better.  There was a real effort to recruit women into the engineering staff.  I've usually had at least one to two women in my department.

I got my MSE degree in 2002 from Purdue.  The ratios were better, but this was a program associated with work and I'd expect the ratios to reflect the demographics of the workforce.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I graduated with bachelors in Mechanical engineering 2003, and masters mech eng in 2005.....the entire time all classes were a sausage fest. There were a couple girls in the undergrad ME classes, but nothing you would be interested in. During masters program it was all dudes and one surprisingly hot Indian chick (dot Indian, not feather)...and I always imagined she must know what it feels like to be a dart board in a bar. Relentless nerd dongs coming from every angle....fucking hilarious to watch so many nerds trying to get some action.

I work in an R&D environment with a bunch of very sharp guys who have more degrees than a thermometer...and anytime a pretty girl walks through the primate instinct comes out in everyone. It's surprising nobody pisses in the lab to mark territory or anything silly like that

South Park had an episode about that
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Crazy, we have two women that are taking Engineering and they are both pretty cute/hot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My boss is a woman, and she is both a great boss and an excellent engineer.  While women aren't well represented in the engineering field, I suspect it isn't because of capability but rather because of interest.

Truth.

I dated (for a very long time) and almost married a gal who fits that description.  

She has a BS in petroleum engineering and also earned an MS in nuclear/civil engineering.  Currently, she's a VP in a big name corporation.

The thing is (as you said) there just aren't a lot of women who share those same interests.

ETA: Oh, and she's cute, too ...

Link Posted: 5/22/2013 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Back in the 80s it was very rare.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#36]
We only had like 3 in my ME classes. They looked more and more attractive as the semester went on.

Most women in engineering are in ChemE programs or Biomedical Engineering.

There were more in the lower level courses. I still remember this one girl who was in Biomedical Engineering. She was half asian/caucasian and pretty much a 10 in the looks department. Who ever ended up with her was one lucky man. She was also smart and had a very down to earth personality.

Link Posted: 6/4/2013 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm in Biomedical Engineering. When it comes to women in my classes, I chose wisely.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:31:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Civil.  I remember at least three female classmates that regularly hung out after class at the local $2 pint bar, and they weren't the quiet type. m:f ratio probably around 2:1 to 3:1.  During second to last final semester, we had a huge break between the afternoon and night class.  More often than not, we were all by the night class. Luckily the night class professor was a softy newb.  Can't think of anyone that regularly hung out there as a group, who isn't a PE now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh lawd! I got a BSME, and in our graduating class there were only 4 girls. They were like 4's or 5's, yet they all acted like stuck up super models, who were also geniuses.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#40]
For my father's BSEE  U of W there were 30 guys and no women.

For my BSEE U of W there were 600 guys and 6 women.

I married one of them.

Now our son is an engineer, and he and his code writing wife are expecting. Chances are good for a 4th generation engineer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I married one of them.

Now our son is an engineer, and he and his code writing wife are expecting. Chances are good for a 4th generation engineer.
View Quote

Congrats!  I don't know about engineers marrying engineers though...I can see that going sideways real fast--let's see who can nit-pick who to death first.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Congrats!  I don't know about engineers marrying engineers though...I can see that going sideways real fast--let's see who can nit-pick who to death first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I married one of them.

Being an ME graduated in 06, and having dated another ME just out of school and in her first big job, it was always nice being able to have an intelligent conversation with someone with similar hobbies.  Too bad one of us was young and scared of commitment
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#43]
My wife and I both have Master's degrees in Mechanical Engineering, and I help out with the hiring at my company (automotive OEM). Consequently, I tell my three daughters that when they grow up, it's completely up to them - they can be any kind of engineer they want to be!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too much truth in this post.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#45]
There will be about 3 Indian girls in your class (see red dot not apache tribe).
They will not be hot.

Then you will get a big dick engineering degree, buy a fat house, make bank and drive a ridiculously expensive BMW to work and women will fall all over you because they want to make babies.

That's why we become engineers.
<-- MAE MBA ASU
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#46]
20+ years ago when I was an engineering student there were VERY few girls in our school. Those usually only lasted a semester or two, some made it to their sophomore year before they got the Mrs. degree and changed their name to the same as the  guy graduating with an engineering degree.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#47]
In a school of 30,000 combined undergrad/grad, my CE program of ~75-80 kids has ~7 +/- 3 (I have classes w/ Jr and Sr)

Depends heavily on your school and their engineering recruitment
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread is useless without pics of engineering chicks.

Heck back in my day, we had our own Engineering groupies.   Will never forget "Oscilating Jen" who's hooters jiggled in a siusoidal motion 90-degrees out of phase.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
20+ years ago when I was an engineering student there were VERY few girls in our school. Those usually only lasted a semester or two, some made it to their sophomore year before they got the Mrs. degree and changed their name to the same as the  guy graduating with an engineering degree.
View Quote

Not cool.  Don't get me wrong, name changing can be fun--in fact, I plan to change mine in a few years--to DesertGuns Ph.D.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread is useless without pics of engineering chicks.

Heck back in my day, we had our own Engineering groupies.   Will never forget "Oscilating Jen" who's hooters jiggled in a siusoidal motion 90-degrees out of phase.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top