Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2012 6:18:17 PM EDT
I know its my fault when I fall behind in class. Sometimes I just cant convince myself to use my oh so short on time to do the work.

I have 4 weeks left in my MATH107, College algebra class and I am burned out. We are getting into items that I have never seen before and that just solidifies my opinion that algebra is complete worthless knowledge.

I really want to finish this class. I guess that I did enough math today and that my mind cannot compute shit anymore.

Midterm was due last week. Quiz 3 and ????? name project are due tonight. None of them will get done. I need another break.

ETA: Yes I passed WRTG101.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Man up,  get it done, over with, and out of the way.  Otherwise you'll have to do it over or fail.  Neither of which are a better alternative than just getting on with it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Man up,  get it done, over with, and out of the way.  Otherwise you'll have to do it over or fail.  Neither of which are a better alternative than just getting on with it.

I thought for a second that I had posted this thread!  I am currently taking Math105 (same class I think) and it is my last class for my BS at a State U.  When I say last class it is actually the only class I am taking because it wasnt offered last semester.  I hate math but it is something that needed to be done and with two assignments left I have a 98%.  Suck it up, get it done, and dont look back.  I had to take an upper level physics class (phy498 I believe) and it was easier than this one!
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought for a second that I had posted this thread!  I am currently taking Math105 (same class I think) and it is my last class for my BS at a State U.  When I say last class it is actually the only class I am taking because it wasnt offered last semester.  I hate math but it is something that needed to be done and with two assignments left I have a 98%.  Suck it up, get it done, and dont look back.  I had to take an upper level physics class (phy498 I believe) and it was easier than this one!

PHYS498 was easier than MATH105?

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was easier for me to visualize the physics problems where standard variations and condorcet candidates just blow my mind.  Stick with it, it's almost over.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost fail a class twice.  Then you'll be inspired.

ETA:   I think first post is applicable.  Just do it.  Read the text book and think about the concepts until you know what's going on.

Read the book until you don't understand something.  Ponder it for a minute.  Then re-read from the beginning of the chapter.  Until you can finish the chapter, you are not ready.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. You must be FAMILIAR with the concepts and methods in each chapter before moving on.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
TI calculators always helped me.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
this video should help you get started http://vimeo.com/13497928
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Algebra isn't too difficult once you get the concepts. I found the most difficult thing for me in algebra was factoring, and now I barely have an issue with it. I'm currently taking Trigonometry, and I haven't failed a test yet, two 94s and a 72(I didn't care about it cause it was right before thanksgiving break) I'm pretty surprised with myself considering it was the same class that almost kept me from graduating in high school.

I would definitely recommend going to youtube as there are a myriad of excellent videos on any topic in math, I almost always find them to be more helpful than the professors.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Apply it to things that interest you. Search the concept and your preferred interests to see how the equations are used. And yes, they are used. You'd be surprised.

Also, go bother the teacher. That's what they do. Start with "I don't get it." Add, "This means nothing to me," and, "I need a way to relate this to my desires." Sometimes you have to find a way to apply the material to something you care about before your mind fully grasps the concept.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

TI calculators always helped me.  

Calculators must not take the place of knowledge.

If you can't solve the problem with your own brain, a pencil, and a piece of paper,  having the calculator will do you no good.

You might be able to solve the problem with a calculator, but you're just punching in a formula by rote without understanding

how the formula actually works.

Working it out by hand with your brain and a pencil gives UNDERSTANDING of the equation and how it works,  and without

that understanding you can NOT effectively learn what comes next and builds on what you just (hopefully) learned to understand.

You can't skip one step up the stairs of knowledge.  

CJ

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Electroshock and self flagellation helped me.

But not much.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Algebra is boring as shit.  If you think you hate math but are currently just taking algebra, don't give up.  Maybe you just hate algebra.  

Algebra is like learning how to push the accelerator in a car, how to push the brake, how to shift, how to apply the turn signal, where the windshield wiper button is, how to change the air conditioning, and shit like that, without every actually driving the car.  Calculus and the subsequent math courses are where you actually start learning how to "drive the car".  And if you finish an algebra course but feel like you retained absolutely jackshit?  Normal, in my experience.  I never felt comfortable with algebra until I started using it every day in subsequent physics and engineering courses.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I always viewed learning math like learning a new language.  You won't get fluent with it unless you practice.  I'm not sure how many more math classes you need to take, but out of all the math classes to pay attention to, Algebra is probably the most important.  I hate math homework as much as anyone, but I did it (or copied it out of the solutions manual) until I was able to understand how the problem worked.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
the only thing that inspires me to do math is figuring ammo price per round.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Well.

I turned my midterm in 2 or 3 weeks late.

I got an A (94%) on it. Go figure.

Now if my other class was like this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I started school three and a half years ago and graduate this coming May. I am 35. When I first started I had to take a placement test and scored low on math. I was never a good math student. Somehow I scored well enough to take an Algebra 1 class and work my way up to the required college algebra. I took alg 1 and 2 and then college algebra. I got A's in all three classes. Prior to that first alg class I never saw any of that material before. After that I had to take calc 1 and 2. If I can do it anyone can. College is all about time management. If you are turning in assignments weeks late you really need to take a look at how you are managing your time. Sounds like you don't really have the time to invest in doing well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a LONG way from being a math whiz, but it fascinates me how many common, ordinary things can be distilled down to a mathematical equation or formula.  Music, for instance.  The fact that musical notes and combinations that are pleasing to human ears are actually based on Fibonacci numbers is interesting, as is the "golden section" used in architecture, furniture building, etc.

Ultimately I think the whole Universe boils down to math, and someday somebody's going to figure out the key to the whole thing.

Could be OP.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It will help you save and make money

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I think of firearms....I need money for firearms....I need a high paying career for money for firearms...I need math for a high paying career for money for firearms....
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Math = High paying jobs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
math is really just a foreign language -

another set of words to express ideas
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#23]
You're seriously burned out on MATH105?
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

These videos are great. I definitely feel your pain, I try to read notes but nothing beats having a problem or concept re-explained to you with a visual aid. There are other levels of math as well as other subjects.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Challenge a kid to a test race.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#26]
If you think Algebra is completely useless knowledge, maybe college isn't for you.

You might be happier with another line that isn't so mentally taxing.

7th graders do Algebra all the time, so either do the work or wash out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]
There's a pretty good math teacher in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Multi-variable calculus and Diffy-Qs are wonderous things, and you'll be forever grateful of the opportunity you had to explore them.

Bask in the glory, or die.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Check out khan academy on youtube, he helped me when I was struggling in calculus so im sure he has videos for algebra
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I would love to have some of what all those math "experts" were smoking when they made all that shit up back in the day. i dont see how math interests anyone, id rather be shot in the thigh than take a math class. atleast it wouldnt hurt as bad. thank god im on my last math class forevor! hello mechatronics degree
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would love to have some of what all those math "experts" were smoking when they made all that shit up back in the day. i dont see how math interests anyone, id rather be shot in the thigh than take a math class. atleast it wouldnt hurt as bad. thank god im on my last math class forevor! hello mechatronics degree

Good luck there dude.  You're not going to be much good at mechatronics if you can't/won't do the math.  Hell, the fucking canonical mechatronics problem is the DC servomotor transfer function derivation.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Congrats
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Know math = better likelihood of a better paying job when you graduate

No math = better likelihood of asking someone if they "want fries with that"

Link Posted: 2/28/2013 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Some people take interest in the world around them, and see beauty in true understanding of its governing relationships.

Some people marvel at the ability of humans to synthesize this knowledge into paradigm-shattering innovations; the fruit of years of, yes, math.

Some people, any way.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I so love math......the insight into the basic rules that govern the universe.....the relationships between objects....space and time......the one true constant in the universe.
Math is pure.....elemental......essential....

I am so happy math is my friend.  My career was based on math and physics. I get a nice check every month for the rest of my life thanks to math and physics. How could I not love these things.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much depends on how your or anyone's brain works.  Especially in retention to 'learned' material. Don't think allot of people who are ruining the curve can actually apply anything they accelled at.
It's a 100 course. Relevent material there-after WILL be easier.  It's not just the material, it's you as person. Its a physical task you will learn to cope with.

It will be easier. Hang in there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top