Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]
My TI-83 Plus says the answer is 9.  So that is what it shall be!
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
left to right... 9
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
horribly written expression if 9 is the answer you are looking for.

I'm conditioned to treat that 2(1+2) as the whole denominator as this is a parathesis function.  Theres a difference between a(b+c) and a*(b+c).  Therefore I came up with an anwer of 1.

My TI-85 must think the same way as plugging 6/2(1+2) spits out a 1.

Plugging the expression directly into excel gives an error and rewrites itself to add the *, then gives a 9.

Entering 6/2*(1+2) on the TI-85 then gives you a 9 as expected.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm noticing a trend in these questions and answers.

It seems since electronic calculators have entered the scene, order of operations rules have been subordinated to the limitations of the earliest calculator programming.

When I was taught algebra (early 1980's), we had to memorize order of operations by brute force without pneumonic devices and we were forbidden the use of electronic devices (they were available, but not to be used until the basics were understood).

In college it was the same thing. I completed algebra, pre-calculus, calculus, and made it through a chemistry major with physics and earth science minors and a graduate degree in engineering managment with the order of operations I was taught.

Am I saying that order of operations has changed? Yes, in my observation.

When things were done only by hand, the fewer symbols used the faster caculations were done. Thus, much effort went into what to do with operations using a minimum of symbols. Now, more symbols allows more programming precision, and caculations using electronics are instantaneous. So order of operations seems to be subordinated to limitations in notations in a calculator. The changes are very subtle, but I definately see an old school vs. new school difference in the answers. I discussed this issue at work with a young woman who just completed her degree in mathmatics and she seemed to agree.

The way I was taught 6 ÷ 2 ( 1 + 2 ) translates to 1, but I have no problem if the rules have changed and the answer is 9; all I want to know what is considered the proper way to calculate things today, as agreed upon by the mathmatics regulatory bodies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Nine
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
6/2(1+2) = ?

Using "/" is ambigious.  If you meant 6÷2(1+2), then it would be 6÷2(3) which is 3(3) which is 9.
Is "/" not an acceptable substitution for "÷"?  Yes, that's what I mean.

This is how I interpeted it
2(2+1)
getting 1 as the result
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
What I'm worried about is how people answered 6.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I got it wrong, looked at it as    

-----------

2*(2+1)

yep, I was wrong.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
maybe a better way to think of it would be....

6*(1/2)*(2+1)

I wanted to put it in Maple to see what it would spit out,  funny thing is on my screen in Maple it says

"6÷2(1+2)    
                     9"

But when I copy paste (control c, control v) it spits out this

> (6*(1/2))*(2+1);
print(`output redirected...`); # input placeholder

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:41:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

After spending more than 7 hours on algebra homework today, I could care less what the answer is.

Fuck algebra. Worthless in every way. I didn't use a single formula in the last 12 years since high school.

Algebra -  shit schools require you to know just so that you will forget it when you leave school.

you ever take a single aimed shot at ssomething very far away? algebra out the ass not to mention trig, radians, and so on

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
After spending more than 7 hours on algebra homework today, I could care less what the answer is.

Fuck algebra. Worthless in every way. I didn't use a single formula in the last 12 years since high school.

Algebra -  shit schools require you to know just so that you will forget it when you leave school.
you ever take a single aimed shot at ssomething very far away? algebra out the ass not to mention trig, radians, and so on

I didn't notice this the first time around.  Anyone who thinks any form of math should not be taught in school hasn't really thought it through or would prefer living in the stone age.  Every single thing in modern times was developed with the use of math.  Doing without math It would be like trying to write a bible without letters, or paint a picture without paint.  Math is what makes the world go round (well at least allows us to explain it).  Algebra is the language of math, and all higher forms of math use algebra.  If it was not required, it would not be taught.  It is required in order to expose enough of the population to it, with the hope that some understand it and excel in it.  Later those students become the scientist/engineers/inventors and society continues to advance.  People tried for years to do without, many people were even killed to keep math/science down; technological advancement moved slower than a snails pace.  

Something else that I've seen (now that I have kids in school); is the constant attempt to water down math.  It is to the point where I am starting to believe it is a great conspiracy to dumb down the population (not really, but one could make the jump).  Fractions seem to be some cosmic waste of time.  Everyone wants to make them a decimal.  Then what happens in trig, calc, diff eq, and so on when people don't understand them?  Fractions are so simple, but people are being taught to fear them.  More time is being spent on calculators than learning basic math.  What happens to those students when they become engineers and they depend purely on the calculator to asses validity of answers.  We misplace a decimal place or two and then don't hit Mars.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Poorly written equation.  You will get two different answers using different programs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Poorly written equation.  You will get two different answers using different programs.

Actually, the way it's written in the title now is good to go.  Before, the "÷" was a "/" and made it ambiguous because you couldn't determine if it was a division symbol or a fraction line written in-line.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Man oh man.

Short answer? There is no correct answer. Or rather, the correct answer is: “undefined”. This is like asking “How heavy is a building?”. There is no right or wrong answer, the question is not specific enough to resolve to one single answer. Maybe a more accurate analogy is giving someone directions. The way this problem is worded,  you have told us “you’re going to drive 2 miles, turn, drive 1 mile, turn, drive 3 miles, turn, then drive 1 mile. You will be taking 2 lefts and one right turn”. You’ve given the basic info we need, but without a little more organization we can’t do anything with it. This is one of the shortfalls or attempting to write mathematical expressions on a single line using the standard ascii symbols. To be specific enough, you often need to use a cumbersome amount of parentheses, brackets, etc. There are two possible interpretations to what you have written:

6/[2(1+2)] = ?

Or

(6/2)(1+2) = ?

Without more information than you have given, there is no way to determine which interpretation is intended, and as such no way to give an answer. The fact that some have gotten an answer on their calculator means nothing. Depending on the calculator and its method of input you can get both possible answers (9 or 1). I believe someone above referenced a calculator using RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) in which you could get BOTH answers depending on which (equally valid) order you entered the terms and operators. This is a limitation of calculators, and the reason I heavily discourage their use in my classes. The calculator operates based on a set of rules, with no interpretation. If you input an ambiguous expression, it will be happy to give you a solid answer, the old “garbage in, garbage out” adage. Similarly, the old order of operations mnemonic device PEMDAS is not a law or rule… it is an extremely simplified acronym that attempts to condense the complex interrelationships of the commutative, distributive, and other properties of binary operations and conditional logic into a simple form that most high school students can remember. Blindly relying on it without a full understanding of the underlying principles can be problematic. So in summation, there is no correct answer, as there is no valid question to be answered.

My credentials:
PhD in Mechanical Engineering
Employed in the space/defense industry
Several years teaching experience, undergraduate and graduate level engineering and math courses
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
PEMA, but Left to Right. Since Multiplication and Division are equal, Left to Right makes the correct answer 9.  

So many are forgetting that multiplication and division are equals, so they're falling back on "PEMDAS" and assuming that the multiplication must be done first.

Every math class I've ever taken has used PEMDAS.  If it's not right then why are professors with doctoral degrees teaching that it is? I'm not forgetting, I've never heard that division should be done before multiplication.

It's more like

P
E
MD
AS

Exactly. PEMDAS is correct...but you have to understand that M and D are equals, as are A and S.  Since multiplication and division are equals in terms of the order of operations, you have to go left to right.  Maybe teachers aren't emphasizing that point anymore, so people are coming out of basic algebra thinking that multiplication takes priority over division. Usually it's not an issue...until you run into math problems like this one.  

I voted wrong in the poll.

I'm here to erase my answer and change it to 9.

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I voted right in the poll but am here to vote again to make sure I'm right
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#19]
It's 9

And Im only here because someone said there was actually a MATH forum

I'll be ding-danged , there is
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man oh man.

Short answer? There is no correct answer. Or rather, the correct answer is: “undefined”. This is like asking “How heavy is a building?”. There is no right or wrong answer, the question is not specific enough to resolve to one single answer. Maybe a more accurate analogy is giving someone directions. The way this problem is worded,  you have told us “you’re going to drive 2 miles, turn, drive 1 mile, turn, drive 3 miles, turn, then drive 1 mile. You will be taking 2 lefts and one right turn”. You’ve given the basic info we need, but without a little more organization we can’t do anything with it. This is one of the shortfalls or attempting to write mathematical expressions on a single line using the standard ascii symbols. To be specific enough, you often need to use a cumbersome amount of parentheses, brackets, etc. There are two possible interpretations to what you have written:

6/[2(1+2)] = ?

Or

(6/2)(1+2) = ?

Without more information than you have given, there is no way to determine which interpretation is intended, and as such no way to give an answer. The fact that some have gotten an answer on their calculator means nothing. Depending on the calculator and its method of input you can get both possible answers (9 or 1). I believe someone above referenced a calculator using RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) in which you could get BOTH answers depending on which (equally valid) order you entered the terms and operators. This is a limitation of calculators, and the reason I heavily discourage their use in my classes. The calculator operates based on a set of rules, with no interpretation. If you input an ambiguous expression, it will be happy to give you a solid answer, the old “garbage in, garbage out” adage. Similarly, the old order of operations mnemonic device PEMDAS is not a law or rule… it is an extremely simplified acronym that attempts to condense the complex interrelationships of the commutative, distributive, and other properties of binary operations and conditional logic into a simple form that most high school students can remember. Blindly relying on it without a full understanding of the underlying principles can be problematic. So in summation, there is no correct answer, as there is no valid question to be answered.

My credentials:
PhD in Mechanical Engineering
Employed in the space/defense industry
Several years teaching experience, undergraduate and graduate level engineering and math courses

The answer is 9.

My credentials:
6th grade math teacher who doesn't over analyze simple questions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The answer is 9.

My credentials:
6th grade math teacher who doesn't over analyze simple questions.

The answer is 9, the rules are clear, however I was taught that it is poor form to write a question where one must rely so heavily on the knowledge of the order of operations in order to arrive at the correct answer. Math is a language. Speak clearly. Just as a wall of text post with everything spelled correctly and all the i's dotted and t's crossed isn't the best way to convey a thought, a poorly constructed math problem isn't the best way to ask a question. You do have to worry about people making a mistake on this when they are in a hurry, so it's worth the time to write it in a non-confusing manner (just as it is worth the time to write arcsine(x) instead of sin-1(x)).

eta: my credentials - mathematics major, masters of science in electrical engineering, Ph.D. student.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's a badly written expression. Still the answer is 9.

Multiplication and division have the same standing and are to be done at the same time. Multiplication does not come before division. They're equal when it comes to the order of operation.

So, parenthesis first, then multiplication/division.

Correct.  Fools think it's '1'

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Its 1
Solving the bracket first(1+2) gives 3. Multiplying 2 and 3 gives 6. Then dividing 6 by 6 gives 1
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
1001B
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Real engineers stopped using old school divide symbol a long time ago.
Order of ops in the denominator. Answer is 9.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
You cant forget that distribution occurs simultaneously as Parenthesis!
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:43:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I first thought that the answer was 1.  After reconsidering, I realized that I had multiplied (2+1) by 2 before dividing into 6.  Since multiplication and division have the same precedence, I should have evaluated the problem from left to right after adding the expression in the parenthesis.  This gives an answer of 9.

At least, I believe that this is the current convention.  If I'm wrong, I trust that someone will say so, and why.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#32]
You can be a clever as you want, but I would either mark you down (home work) or tell you to correct it (real life)?

So the answer from me is, "You didn't write this well enough to meet my approval."
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I got "1", so obviously the real answer must be "9".

I bet this stuff is how rockets blow up and/or crash into shit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Speaking of ambiguous, do you really mean you could care less or do you mean you could NOT care less?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a badly written expression. Still the answer is 9.

Multiplication and division have the same standing and are to be done at the same time. Multiplication does not come before division. They're equal when it comes to the order of operation.

So, parenthesis first, then multiplication/division.
View Quote

This.  Parens first, then left to right mult/div.  So 6/2(1+2) = 6/2*3 = 3*3=9
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#36]
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm noticing a trend in these questions and answers.

It seems since electronic calculators have entered the scene, order of operations rules have been subordinated to the limitations of the earliest calculator programming.

When I was taught algebra (early 1980's), we had to memorize order of operations by brute force without pneumonic devices and we were forbidden the use of electronic devices (they were available, but not to be used until the basics were understood).

In college it was the same thing. I completed algebra, pre-calculus, calculus, and made it through a chemistry major with physics and earth science minors and a graduate degree in engineering managment with the order of operations I was taught.

Am I saying that order of operations has changed? Yes, in my observation.

When things were done only by hand, the fewer symbols used the faster caculations were done. Thus, much effort went into what to do with operations using a minimum of symbols. Now, more symbols allows more programming precision, and caculations using electronics are instantaneous. So order of operations seems to be subordinated to limitations in notations in a calculator. The changes are very subtle, but I definately see an old school vs. new school difference in the answers. I discussed this issue at work with a young woman who just completed her degree in mathmatics and she seemed to agree.

The way I was taught 6 ÷ 2 ( 1 + 2 ) translates to 1, but I have no problem if the rules have changed and the answer is 9; all I want to know what is considered the proper way to calculate things today, as agreed upon by the mathmatics regulatory bodies.
View Quote

I'm willing to bet that is not what you were taught.  However, if you were, you were taught wrong.  The order of operations has not changed.  People simply forget that multiplication and division are "equals", as well as addition and subtraction.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nah, it's useful stuff.  Sure, I made it through life just fine before I knew about functions and stuff, but even before I started college, calculating compounding interest and what not was good to know.  In my limited experience, math is one of those things that you either need to know a little or a whole lot of to make it useful.  If you are going onto higher levels you'll want to make sure you have a solid handle on algebra.  I'm finishing up calc 1 now, and the algebra has cost me more point than the calculus has.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, it's useful stuff.  Sure, I made it through life just fine before I knew about functions and stuff, but even before I started college, calculating compounding interest and what not was good to know.  In my limited experience, math is one of those things that you either need to know a little or a whole lot of to make it useful.  If you are going onto higher levels you'll want to make sure you have a solid handle on algebra.  I'm finishing up calc 1 now, and the algebra has cost me more point than the calculus has.
Calculus, at least at the lower levels, isn't really hard IMO - not the calculus itself.  What's hard is the algebra and trig you have to know in order to do the calculus, and figuring out how to convert a word problem into a function.

If you're curious about things, and know some math, it can be pretty useful.  If either of these don't apply, and you don't need it for your job, you're more likely IMO to not see a use for it.

BTW, if you're finishing Calc I now, that probably means you're taking it in a condensed summer semester format... I'm glad I didn't try that

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#41]
As written PEMDAS.... =9

But it all matter how you view that as written on paper.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Video is stupid.

When being taught PEMDAS, you are also taught left to right and multiplication and division are switchable and so are addition/subtraction
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Oh look, I'm in Math 75 too!
I also got 9.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Solve: 6÷2(1+2)

Expand implicit multiplication notation for clarity: 6 ÷ 2 * (1+2)

Resolve Parenthesis: 6 ÷ 2 * 3

Resolve remaining multiplication and division - Step 1: 3 * 3

Resolve remaining multiplication and division - Step 2: 9

Solve: 6÷2(1+2) using distribution because you're bored...

Resolve external terms: 3(1+2)

Distribute external term: 3+6

Add: 9

Nine is the correct answer to the problem as expressed.

Alternate problem:

Solve: 6÷2(1+2)^-1 (correct notation if you expect a 1)

Expand implicit notation for clarity: 6 ÷ 2 ÷ (1+2)

Resolve Parenthesis: 6 ÷ 2 ÷ 3

Resolve remaining multiplication and division - Step 1: 3 ÷ 3

Resolve remaining multiplication and division - Step 2: 1

Solve: 6÷(2(1+2)) (alternate correct notation if you expect a 1)

Expand implicit notation: 6÷(2 * (1+2))

Resolve first parenthesis: 6÷(2 * 3)

Resolve next parenthesis: 6÷6

Divide: 1

Remind me to put this down as a question in future job interviews...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#45]
pjoo1120

Actually since the numbers were 6 & 2 that would make no difference..
6 divided by 2 equals 3
6 halves are equal to 3
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#46]

That dude should stick to pop science "physics" garbage and stay out of basic mathematics.

He's completely, entirely, 100% wrong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Ya'll's postin' in a troll thread!

Answer: 9.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top