Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2017 4:19:28 PM EDT
I thought the wife had purged them, but apparently I was wrong.  The large one is marked Favorite Piqua Ware 10, the next size down is marked Wagner Ware Sydney 0 and most of the rest either have no names at all, or just a number.

My question is how to get them ready for use again, starting with the 10".  They've been packed away for 10+ years so am I correct in assuming they need to be cleaned and reseasoned?  Also, I'm not sure I ever had them seasoned correctly in the first place.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, I do not think you need to re-season. Just clean them and use them..

I had a floor like that 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool, I do not think you need to re-season. Just clean them and use them..

I had a floor like that 35 years ago.
View Quote
lol, this house was built in the 60's and I think that's the original kitchen floor.  I'm a "If it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy, and last time I checked the floor wasn't broke. 
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Wash with hot water and use
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Give them the smell test. If you seasoned them right last time and they don't smell like rancid fat you're good oil them well and start using. If they smell fishy at all wash them several times with hot soapy water and then reseason
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
if they aren't rusty, i'd rinse em out with water and a lint free rag(to get off any dust/dirt). then dry over low/medium heat. do a quick reseason w/a light coat of oil and call it good.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice guys, they're not rusty and they don't smell, so I'll just wash with water, dry and maybe start with bacon. 
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, "Favorite" is literally my favorite!!! I have a "Favorite 12" and it's the lightest 12" CI skillet I've ever had the pleasure of meeting; and they were prized for that feature. I use that thing for everything!!! IIRC, from my limited research there were 2 companies that made similar skillets marked with "favorite" of some sort or another. One of them was "The Favorite Stove Works" in Ohio, and another was an Ohio penitentiary. There is a difference in the markings but I can't recall what it is. Either way, I love mine!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if they aren't rusty, i'd rinse em out with water and a lint free rag(to get off any dust/dirt). then dry over low/medium heat. do a quick reseason w/a light coat of oil and call it good.
View Quote
This is what I would do.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
OP take a pic of the bottom of the pans and post.

You have some interesting stuff there. A high wall fryer on the left (maybe) and a griddle on the right.

Show us more.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
This stuff is pretty good and I have used it to resusitate some old cast iron:

Crisbee Puck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top