Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 1:37:36 PM EDT
So I'm in the process of selecting new knives for my minimalist kitchen. I'm currently borrowing a block set from a friend, but all I really use are the 8" chefs knife and a small paring knife. I'd like to order my new knives all together so they match and stuff. Basically what I'm asking is what would be included in a "minimalist" knife set for all-purpose home cooking. Do you think I'd be fine with just an 8" chefs knife and a paring knife, or are there other ones that I should consider too?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
you just chopping and slicing? not slicing bread? not breaking down meat clods? not slicing roasts bigger than 6"?

8" French
paring
10" slicer
10" bread knife
5 to 6" flexible boning/fileting
bayonet fork
spatula
Chef
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Basic for me is a 10" chef knife and a 12" bread knife. That's what I learned on when I started working in kitchens. You can do pretty much anything with those two.

Don't ask me how many kitchen knives I own.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Really, just need a big chefs knife, 210-270mm, and a smaller pairing or utility knife ~80-150mm, and a bread knife. I like Japanese knives myself, they have unique character when they are hand forged/hammered.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazon.com" target="_blank">At Amazon.com

I replaced all my expensive German knives with this brand years ago.
Good to go.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
i faced this same question when i got mine. i decided that i didnt need one of the 30 piece knife sets you commonly see at stores. instead i spent the money on getting a nicer set with only minimal knives: chefs knife, kitchen, bread, pairing, honing steel rod. then i bought a set of 4 nice steak knives. its been all ive ever used for years since, never wished i had any more
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have an 8" or Santoku, A bread knife and a paring knife.  I have a Henckel's Santoku that I paid $30 for.  I try to keep it very sharp, and use it for 95% of all my kitchen cutting chores.

I've read great things about the Global knives referred to above, too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have an 8" or Santoku, A bread knife and a paring knife.  I have a Henckel's Santoku that I paid $30 for.  I try to keep it very sharp, and use it for 95% of all my kitchen cutting chores.

I've read great things about the Global knives referred to above, too.
View Quote

Those are the three I sharpen most for my wife.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81mJy9GQZoL._SL1500_.jpg

Good to go.
View Quote

This!!!!!!!!!  Victorinox Forschner Fibrox

I did the same.  I keep them razor sharp and they go in the dish washer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Victorinox.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good to go.
View Quote
I have the 3 different lenth chefs and 3 parring knife set that was 15 bucks on Ebay. I bought a good hone.

Best money ever spent. Now I see I need to get the bread knife.

Do yourself a solid and get a wall mounted magnetic strip, Then, A lanyard and a hook for the hone.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I just watched a Gordon Ramsay video on his youtube channel the other day. His suggestions matched with a lot of the recommendations here; small paring knife, large serrated (bread) knife, and a large chopping knife (8" or so).
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Like I said, all you need is a 10" chef and a 12" bread.

You can expand.

Shit, I left one out of the group photo.

Dammit, 3 more I missed.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good to go.
View Quote

Victorinox is GTG. In my experience, you can't beat them unless you spend around three times as much money.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Victorinox 8, 10 or 12 inch chefs knife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top