Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 12:58:12 AM EDT
I made a green curry last week that was mildly spicy. Just a little kick, nothing crazy. It has been in the fridge for maybe 5-6 days. When I ate it tonight after coming home from work it almost blew my face off it was so spicy. I ended up adding some yogurt to calm it down. I looked around online and found some conflicting opinions - chili apparently gets more mellow but some things like curries get stronger. But I'm curious as to why. Anybody know? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Spices are breaking down. Releases more of their molecular structure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, basically this.

The spices are usually the capsaicin family of hot-tasting compounds.

These are not very water soluble, but are quite fat-soluble.  So, oils, butter, fat, grease.

The longer it sits, the more time the compounds have to get into the oils where you can taste them.

Same thing is true of some other types of flavors used in spices. (Garlic has some aspects like that too.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, basically this.

These are not very water soluble, but are quite fat-soluble.  So, oils, butter, fat, grease.

The longer it sits, the more time the compounds have to get into the oils where you can taste them.

Same thing is true of some other types of flavors used in spices. (Garlic has some aspects like that too.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, basically this.

Ok that make sense. So if I have something fatty, like curry, the capsaicin gets into the oils as it sits and the flavor becomes stronger. The spice was in there, it just wasn't fully expressed. Like sugars breaking down on your tongue if you just sit a piece of bread or vegetable on it. Thanks to you both!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, chemical reactions.

Generally, in cooking the longer a concentrated soluble is in contact with a solvent the more it becomes dispersed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Potato salad does this.  So does dressing.  I always make at least a day in advance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, basically this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, basically this.

To add to this, you can get more pronounced  flavors from many of your spices and dried herbs by adding them during your saute phase and briefly cooking them in oil. Just be careful not to burn them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Maceration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top