Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Before I found this local thing (Dogtown brand - it's a St. Louis Style sort, and, due to the cheese, is very unlikely to be found elsewhere), I was usually doing Tombstone or Jack's, due to the price, and then adding parmesan and oregano on top of it.  However, when a pizza with provel cheese is available, it's really hard to lower yourself to eating one with mere mozzarella.  ;)
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#2]
If I don't make it, Aldi take and bake is my go to.

I just add more toppings and cheese though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well. I got around to Tombstone, was really looking forward to it. It was meh, ok. The best so far is  the Screaming Sicilian, Supremas Maximus. It has all the goodies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Newman's Own.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, you have lived a very sheltered life. I can't believe you have never bought a frozen pizza Jacks is the one I like.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I must've missed this the first time around... was busy working on a house and moving (and eating lots of Jack's pizzas because I didn't have time to cook)

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cheap= Jacks-- can get 5 for $10 here

favorites= lottza motza, Heggies   (both may be local)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cheap= Jacks-- can get 5 for $10 here

favorites= lottza motza, Heggies   (both may be local)
If you're paying $2 for a Jack's you need to step up the couponing game... I'm getting them for under $1.60 each (just picked up 22 of them for that price this past weekend).

Quoted:

At least 87% of the time, when I want a frozen pizza, I'm too inebriated to be trusted with a pizza cutter, let alone to be bothered to wait for the dough to get with the program

I like Freshetta, the square ones particularly. A closer approximation of thin crust pizza than most other frozen pizzas. Digiorno is alright too, a little bit too doughy imo.
I have 3 different personal pizza "types" I like.

#1 Authentic home-made, from scratch, comprise of many home-grown ingredients slid off a pizza-peel onto a baking steel. This is the most time-consuming, I've found that the best dough is given a 3-5 day slow-rise in the fridge so I have to plan pizza night atleast 3 days in advance and I spend several hours jus prepping the ingredients (doesn't count my time processing & canning home-made sauce). But it's the best and is SO majorly worth it.
#2 The above made to be more rapid. When I do the above I prep a lot of ingredients that get stored in the fridge or freezer etc. Crusts get par-baked and frozen (not topped because freezer pre-topped pizzas is a major PITA), meats get pre-cooked then stored in fridge or frozen (depending on how long until the next planned usage of said toppings. I store my crusts in the large 2-1/2 gallon ziploc bags and can fit 5 medium size crusts per bag. Making a pizza is fairly simple get out crust and toss on perforated AL baking sheet (baking a par-baked crust on the steel will over-do it) sauce it, top it, grate on the cheese and pop in the oven. To get the best browning top vs bottom you have to watch closely and cycle between bake and broil but it's doable.
#3 I don't care, I just want something quick, low-effort that will fill my belly and slightly resemble pizza. For this we use Jacks. You cannot buy a truly good frozen pizza; there may be many "decent" ones out there but they just don't compare to the above 2 options (especially if you consider the wholesome, preservative free toppings) so we don't even try. If we're going to stoop to frozen pizza we're at least going to stoop down to where the price is low enough that there is no reason to complain (can't beat "nearly free"). That being said, Jack's pizza isn't that bad. The crust is the worst part of it; we've found that experimenting with crust done-ness to see what we like is best. We like the Jack's crust less-done so we finish it off with the broiler to get the top done.

I understand that this isn't the way for everybody, this is just the way for us...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I've come to the conclusion that if I'm going to buy a frozen pizza then I would just as soon get one of the cheapest of them all, Totinos. Not because they are cheap, I just like them. I also like the mexican style Red Baron.

Those chef boyardee kits are good too. I like the dough and the sauce that comes with it. Either throw it on a stone or a cast iron skillet with olive oil.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
If your near WI, Luige's frozen pizza is the best
They are sold at Festival Foods
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Walmart's frozen boxed pizza is fantastic.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top