Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 12:54:26 PM EDT
other than remove glans, coat in flour, brown in oil, make rouge and then stew with potatoes and carrots?

I have a pesky little MF that I am going to shoot and then after mounting his head on a small pike at the edge of the garden...I will then eat him

Let's seem him have more babies to mess with garden next year

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Beef substitute in soups
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just braised a beaver, and that was pretty good, might work well with groundhog, too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just braised a beaver, and that was pretty good, might work well with groundhog, too.
View Quote

I read about the hairy pudding comment

I actually thought about braising it in tomato sauce and then serve over pasta
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was just the tail, lol, the body itself was excellent.  

I'm not sure about tomato sauce, unless you punch up the flavor with something.  Maybe some cider vinegar and red pepper, or maybe just worchestershire in goodly amounts.  Hard to say, I've never had groundhog.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had it , and it was good , but only found out what it was after I liked it LOL

the cook quartered it, soaked it overnight,  boiled it for 1/2 hr, then barbecue low and slow

with a light rub and bbq sauce to finish

tasted like chicken,
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's this years ground hog you can cook it like you would a young squirrel or rabbit (roll it in flour and fry it in the skillet - or any other way you want).

If it was born last year it's too late to cook it like a young one.  You'll have to either boil it or cook it on the stove top for several hours in barbecue sauce (my preferred method).

How do you tell if it's born this year?  When you skin it (just like a squirrel/rabbit) you pop that knife blade through the loose skin on it's back, insert your thumbs and pull the skin apart to the head and tail ends.  If you can't pull the skin apart like that it's likely from last year and it'll be tough meat, too.  I've noticed that the meat is colored differently, too.  Young ground hog is a sort of light brown colored meat.  Old ground hog has a distinct reddish tint to the meat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to stew them with dumplings. Ain't had no whistle-pig in some years.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
100gr BTHP
31.0 gr AA1680  
2,717 fps
OAL 2.7"  
Win LR  primer

Works real good on Ground Hogs

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I've only ever made dog food out of it. They love it. Not thought to eat it myself. Although people eat rodent all over the world, and the capybara burger I had a few years back was amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top