Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 10:00:46 AM EDT
Who has experience and advise as I'm new to the pellet smoker world and would like to smoke a turdunken for Thanksgiving....

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Who has experience and advise as I'm new to the pellet smoker world and would like to smoke a turdunken for Thanksgiving....

Thanks
View Quote

Sounds like a good way to get sick.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think you would just need to tie it up real well and smoke it as usual.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Use the pellet smoker just like your oven.  Set the same temperature, use the same amount of time.  

If you want extra smoke, set it on low for an hour and then raise the temp and use it like your oven.

If it is done too early, which sometime happens, wrap it in foil and put it in a clean, insulated cooler(no ice) and let it rest.  It will stay hot enough to burn your hands for over an hour.  After that you can either carve it up, or remove the foil and put it back on the grill (high setting) to crisp up the skin.

I use three thermometers in various parts of the bird to insure everything is cooked safely.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesnt make much sense to slow smoke a turduckin-a turkey yes,but a turducken no.The two inner birds,duck and chicken,would not benefit from the smoke.Better to do the turducken in the oven and smoke just a turkey.Just my thought-but hope it turns out good for you however you do it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use the pellet smoker just like your oven.  Set the same temperature, use the same amount of time.  

If you want extra smoke, set it on low for an hour and then raise the temp and use it like your oven.

If it is done too early, which sometime happens, wrap it in foil and put it in a clean, insulated cooler(no ice) and let it rest.  It will stay hot enough to burn your hands for over an hour.  After that you can either carve it up, or remove the foil and put it back on the grill (high setting) to crisp up the skin.

I use three thermometers in various parts of the bird to insure everything is cooked safely.
View Quote

Sounds like you've done it before?  

If it is just like in the oven, then really not much benefit from using the smoker is there?  As someone else pointed out only the turkey gets any smoke flavor.  Has that been your experience?  

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, but the turkey part is pure awesome!!  Do it.  Keep your oven freed up for pie and rolls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top