Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 11:21:08 AM EDT
Lately I have been in the mood for some gumbo, but I don't have a recipe to go by. Sure, there are plenty posted up online, but I am looking for something special. I would rather it taste like something good you would have if someone invited you over for dinner instead of something I might get in a restaurant.

That said, I have been able to find some Andouille sausage locally and almost always have some on hand, but no one in the area has boudin. I was just looking online and found a website called cajun grocer so I may order some stuff from them, but I am hoping to get this done without having to order it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
First things first, can you make a roux?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First things first, can you make a roux?
View Quote

I can learn.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's how we cook a gumbo in Southwest Louisiana.  Nobody on this side of the state uses Andouille, we use what I call a "Cajun style" sausage.  Many of the local meat markets around here make it.  I'm not sure of the difference between it and andouille but there are differences.  99% of the gumbos you eat over here use jarred roux.  Why you ask?  Cause ain't nobody got time fo dat!  

1 hen chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces
1 lb sausage, sliced
1 medium to large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jar roux
1 bunch green onions
salt, black pepper, red pepper, and *MAYBE* some garlic, to taste
water or chicken stock
cooked white rice

Fill your gumbo pot about half full with water or stock, and bring that to a low boil.  Start adding your roux one spoonful at at time, stirring to dissolve it.  Its gonna take a while and look like shit but just keep adding it and stirring.  Depending on what size pot you have (I'll check mine later and tell you what size it is) you're gonna want to add 1/2 to 3/4 of the jar of roux.  You're shooting for a coffee colored liquid.  

Once the roux has come together, let that boil uncovered for at least an hour.  Supposedly this makes it taste better.  I think it "cooks" the roux but i have absolutely no science to back this up.  

After the roux and water have boiled for a while, add it everything else.  The chicken, sausage, onion, pepper, and seasonings.  The whole shooting match.  Cook this uncovered at a low boil until the hen is falling off the bone.  

At this point you can serve it as is, or do the right thing and debone all that chicken.  Always taste and adjust your seasonings at the end.  Depending on who made your sausage you may need to cut back on the red pepper and salt.  Oh, and toss in those green onions about 10-15 minutes before you serve.  

Serve over steamed white rice.  Do not serve over Uncle Ben's or Minute rice or any of that shit.  Pickled okra, file (pronounced FEE-lay), and potato salad all go well with a gumbo like this.  I have cooked gumbo like this many times, and once for about 50 people.  Got lots of compliments that time.  

I ain't saying this is the only way to cook a gumbo, just how we do it down here.  Later when I have more time I'll answer questions or add to this.  

EDIT:  Fixed a few things.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
However you make it, serve over grits instead of rice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/shrimp-chicken-and-andouille-gumbo

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm from south Louisiana and live in North West Louisiana. I am picky about gumbo, to me there is no good gumbo served in restaurants up here. You gotta get around Lafayette in my opinion.

Here is the recipe that I kind of use: http://leitesculinaria.com/78819/recipes-seafood-gumbo.html.

I make a few slight changes but it always comes out good. I am not a very good cook, but I can pull it off. I use a similar recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo too. To me the main thing is make you own roux, don't buy the jar stuff. It's not hard, it just takes a while and you can't stop stirring or it will burn. Just go low heat and slow and it will get there. Also make your own stock, it will be so much better.

James
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a some good recipes above, so I'll just give some tips--

If you havent cooked a roux before, dont try to rush it, and dont try to get it as dark as you possibly can. Burning a roux sucks ass.
I try to make the roux from fat of what going to be in the gumbo--sausage fat, chix fat, etc. I personally tend to avoid using a lot of butter, too rich and easy to burn.  
Throw your veges in the roux to cook them and to cool it when the roux is done
You can make gumbo with practically anything and have it turn out well. I made some beef gumbo recently that was really, really, really good (my apologies for being tacky and boasting about my own food.. but it turned out good)
Let some of your sausage cook from the beginning, and add some later so that the sausage flavor comes out in the stew from the longer cooked sausage, and the less cooked sausage gives some variety in flavor an texture.  
Gumbo file is optional--try it with and without it.
If you add okra, fry it well before adding
You want to fry most meats before adding them.

Thats all that comes to mind right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top