Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 9:49:32 PM EDT
I am planning on making Pastrami using corn beef briskets.   The recipes I have seen say to smoke to 160 degrees let set over night in the frig then steam till 205 degrees.  Any reason I couldn't smoke to 205 degrees?  I have 2 corn beef briskets.  Fruit wood is recommend for smoking.   Any one use something else?  Any other pointers?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically 160 to get it to the stall point where it will not take in anymore smoke. And then steam or cook to 205-210 when it gets tender again. Just let it rest rapped up for an hour or so and it will be fall apart tender. Treat it like a brisket should be treated and will come out tasty and tender.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I smoke and steam and they are awesome..... Make sure you soak the brisket for a few days in fresh water prior to smoking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never steamed anything in my life.  Some instructions I have seen same steam at low oven heat, some say med to high oven heat, and some say high oven heat.  So what is the oven heat for steaming.  350 or higher or below 350?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have finished them on the smoker before and they turned out fine, just made sure I gave them a good rinse and a bit of a soak after curing to get rid of excess salt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am planning on making Pastrami using corn beef briskets.   The recipes I have seen say to smoke to 160 degrees let set over night in the frig then steam till 205 degrees.  Any reason I couldn't smoke to 205 degrees?  I have 2 corn beef briskets.  Fruit wood is recommend for smoking.   Any one use something else?  Any other pointers?
View Quote

Yes there is a reason.  If you make more than you  need, steaming up the completely cooked brisket a day or two later will not be quite as good.  I like to slice off what I need and do a quick steam of the slices prior to putting them on the sangwich.  That way the cheese melts over the meat and the meat isn't dry or overcooked.  

My last pastrami is currently in the freezer.  I pre-smoked my next brisket yesterday to make beer braised brisket on Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Checked the brisket at 4hrs. and 15mins.  One was 150 degrees the other was 140 degrees.    The smaller one was cooler.  I have know idea why.   I will check again in about 30 minutes and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The smaller brisket is out of the steamer.  It is resting now.  The other brisket is going in the freezer for latter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I must have done something wrong.  The brisket taste good just not like Pastrami.  oh well. I will try again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I must have done something wrong.  The brisket taste good just not like Pastrami.  oh well. I will try again.
View Quote

The rub is a little different for pastrami. Did you account for that?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I used a Pastrami rub that had good ratings.   The only difference to the recipe was using regular black pepper.  It called for 2 tbsp. full of coarse ground black pepper.   I only had 1 1/2 tbsp worth so I used a 1/2 tbsp of regular black pepper.  This was a very fatty brisket.  There were a lot of layers of fat through out.  I did 2 briskets one is in the freezer.   When I pull this one out I am hoping it will be better.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Nowhere near enough pepper. And the coriander is not optional.
For four pounds of corned beef:
4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper

2 tablespoons coriander powder

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder
Rinse the meat, and while it is damp, apply the rub liberally, about 4 tablespoons per square foot of surface, and press it into the surface to help it adhere. If there is a thin part of meat, use less rub. Put in the fridge for a minimum of 2 days. Don't wrap it.

i lilke using cherry wood.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used a Pastrami rub that had good ratings.   The only difference to the recipe was using regular black pepper.  It called for 2 tbsp. full of coarse ground black pepper.   I only had 1 1/2 tbsp worth so I used a 1/2 tbsp of regular black pepper.  This was a very fatty brisket.  There were a lot of layers of fat through out.  I did 2 briskets one is in the freezer.   When I pull this one out I am hoping it will be better.
View Quote

Did you end up smoking points?  Pastrami is usually the flat
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually just get briskets, then corn them myself in quick tender brown sugar and half a jar of mccormicks pickling spice.  I boil the spices and brown sugar then let it cool to room temp, then put the brisket into the brine and fill enough to cover for 10 days.  After that i take it out and cover with 3:1 ratio of pepper to coriander.  Smoke to 160, then foil and throw back in till it reaches 190, then take out and wrap in old towels and place in a cooler for an hr.  Take out place it in fridge overnight and the next day slice it up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you brine it?  Even if the corned beef has already been brined, I usually brine again with a special pastrami brine.  Don't remember exact ingredients, but juniper berries are a key component.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Pastrami comes from the flat and corn beef comes from the point
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
It is steamed because that is the proper Jewish deli method.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pastrami comes from the flat and corn beef comes from the point
View Quote

Pastrami comes from the navel plate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I usually just get briskets, then corn them myself in quick tender brown sugar and half a jar of mccormicks pickling spice.  I boil the spices and brown sugar then let it cool to room temp, then put the brisket into the brine and fill enough to cover for 10 days.  After that i take it out and cover with 3:1 ratio of pepper to coriander.  Smoke to 160, then foil and throw back in till it reaches 190, then take out and wrap in old towels and place in a cooler for an hr.  Take out place it in fridge overnight and the next day slice it up.
View Quote

I do exactly the same (did you steal my recipe?) but boil after the ten day cure for a corned beef.
Will have to try a pastrami/smoke version.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I do exactly the same (did you steal my recipe?) but boil after the ten day cure for a corned beef.
Will have to try a pastrami/smoke version.
View Quote

Lol trial and error with my own pickling spices.  So i use mccormick now.  Boiling is corned beef and smoking is pastrami from what i understand.   I sous vide one one time and holy shit it came out so tender and moist, perfect sandwich texture.  Need to try it again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Doing some,

This is a point cut corned beef brisket. Soaked in water, garlic, cumin and ground juniper berries for three days. I have a black pepper, coriander, hot mustard, juniper berry, and smoked paprika rub on it. gonna cook it tomorrow. Doing some duck breast pastrami soon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Homemade Pastrami.

It's a bit fatty(I didn't know how fatty it was until I started slicing), but man, does it taste good!
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#22]
i finish it in the smoker, let it cool, slice, and steam to reheat

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i finish it in the smoker, let it cool, slice, and steam to reheat

http://i.imgur.com/I7ZeKws.jpg
View Quote

Would nom!

Duck breast is brining.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Duck breast pastrami!

Could be a little saltier, but I can salt it. This stuff is delicious!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#25]
looks good, now I want to make some
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top